Dumb Reverb Question.

Course, if this is a "send effect" where the verb is on it's own track, the first parameters you need to adjust are the Wet and Dry or Mix parameters. Most of the presets in Glace have Dry up at unity and Wet turned down pretty low. For this type of "reverb bus" you want the Wet up and the Dry all the way down. I usually end up with the fader on this track way down. It just kind of occurred to me that if I turned the Wet knob down a bit I could have a little more range on the fader...

Right.

I just figured that was obvious...but yeah, they set up all the soft verbs to be 50/50, which means they assume it's not going to be used on a bus....which I find rather dumb and counterintuitive for anyone having any hardware mixer experience...live or for recording.
Verbs are almost always assigned to a bus...and then you send your tracks to the verb since you would normally only use 1-2 verbs for a mix...rather than a different verb for every track.
Not saying you can't use a verb on a single track...just that they tend to be assigned to a bus.

Ok here is another question. I am glad you mentioned that Miro.

Why would you use two different reverbs? Like, in what application would you yourself find a need for that. Like a Verb for drums and a verb for vox? Not questioning your methods, i am just soaking up as much stuff as i possibly can at this juncture. And genuinely curious.

Anyone got a link to plate IRs that I can use with ReaVerb? ALl the IRs I have are 'room' names, I've ofund a ocuple I like for most things, and the few others were kind of way-out so would only be used in special situatons (like 'Silo').

I have a bunch of impulses that were taken from old reverb units. I can't remember what unit(s) they were taken from, but there are some analog and digital reverb impulses in there. I'll put up a dropbox link at some point tonight after I get home.

Why would you use two different reverbs? Like, in what application would you yourself find a need for that. Like a Verb for drums and a verb for vox? Not questioning your methods, i am just soaking up as much stuff as i possibly can at this juncture. And genuinely curious.
The way I do this is to use a really small/short ambience/room type thing (trying to mimic a room that all the instruments were playing/recording in), & a plate or hall to try to give it a sense of space, like a bigger room/hall....That's just how I do it man, there really is no right/wrong...

Yeah, sometimes I'll even use a plate for vocals, a hall for stuff I want to distance from the listener, and a room reverb for establishing a live kind of sound.

I usually find the reverb I want on my drums for the song I'm working on. Once I choose my drum reverb, which is almost always a room verb, I send everything else to that same reverb, but to a much lesser degree, just to put the whole "band" in the same room. The only other reverb I might use is some kind of plate for the vocals. Not always, but usually.

I usually find the reverb I want on my drums for the song I'm working on. Once I choose my drum reverb, which is almost always a room verb, I send everything else to that same reverb, but to a much lesser degree, just to put the whole "band" in the same room. The only other reverb I might use is some kind of plate for the vocals. Not always, but usually.

This ^ is what I was trying to explain, I try to make everything sound like it's in the same room...

How many verbs you use really depends on the type of production you are.doing.

I like bright, dense verbs on drums but hate them on vocals. So I use a different verb on the vocals.

Drum verbs tend to be longer than vocal verbs (for me) because I want the large sense of space on the drums, but an more up front, in your face, thing on the vocals. Although I have to admit that I use rolling delays more than reverb on vocals.

Acoustic guitars tend to get shorter room verbs, while orchestra parts will get giant hall verbs.

If all these elements are in the same production, they will all have separate reverbs.

I don't often use different verbs for different instruments unless it's for some real special effect on something somewhere, though I guess the "room mic" in Superior Drummer probably counts.

I have sometimes - when using an actual true stereo - had one shorter verb getting all of the instruments panned as in the rest of the mix and a somewhat longer one with all the panning reversed. It sort of fakes the idea that the instruments on the right side of the room are closer to the right-hand wall. Sort of...

All that said, I have the Voxengo Impulse Modeler, which lets you "build" a virtual room, set up a sound source and microphones, and generate an impulse for it. I made one relatively big room and made a set of 4 different impulses where the "speakers" were progressively further from the "mics". When I'm feeling really adventurous, I'll sometimes use them all in parallel, routing different instruments to different verbs based on how far away I want them to sound and feel.

Truth told, though, even with all of that I use a surprisingly small amount of reverb in my productions in general.

I guess I'm hardly ever in the 'one verb glues the band' camp. While it can (do that :) I always seem to come from what works to set the kit -usually fairly early or one of the first, often isn't what ends up on the guitars or vocals.
In best case scenarios (i.e. successes! :o that seems to lend to nice multiple depths ..I think :)

What I often like to do is use the same type of verb, only in say 2-3 different time settings.

So like, on a rhythm guitar that's chugging along, I might go for a short version of a particular reverb....but then on the lead guitar, I'll use the same reverb, only a version with a longer time.

On vocals I tend to use a Plate reverb 99.9& of the time. Again, I may set up two presets of the same plate, and vary them slightly between the lead vocal and the back-up vocals (if any).
On lead guitars, I'll often go for something with more of a Hall vibe, but it's not like a massive, huge Hall reverb, unless the song calls for that.
Drums I would use a med/large Room reverb, something warm & woody...though since I scored my real vintage EMT 240 Gold Foil Plate hardware unit, it has great sound on drums, so now I'm using that. It does something interesting when used on the whole kit...like the Kick and the Snare get pushed forward...really cool.

All that said....there's no rule. I'm just explaining why/how I might use more than one reverb in a mix....but I don't always use reverb on every track. Actually, I almost always have some tracks with no reverb at all.
Like, if I have say, multiple rhythm tracks...I might use some reverb on one, but leave others dry.

The whole point is to 1.) try and put everything in "one space"....but at the same time 2.) create/maintain some contrast between the tracks. If you just ran every track through the same reverb, all the same setting...it gets too soupy, even when you roll back the reverb volume....and then the whole mix gets a bit to diffused by all that reverb.

I've been doing the same - I'll just use 3 busses usually - one for drums, one for instruments and one for vocals (so that I can volume automate them wiht that group), but use the same IR for all of them. I'll be curious to see how using a plate verb for the vocals (only) works once I get the files from Tadpui downloaded.

I'm a little confused.

On Logic, I can set tracks as stereo or mono but the sound will come out of both speakers regardless.

Is that just in regard to the input? I think that the sound comes out mono or stereo depending on panning. This this right?

I'm a little confused.

On Logic, I can set tracks as stereo or mono but the sound will come out of both speakers regardless.

Is that just in regard to the input? I think that the sound comes out mono or stereo depending on panning. This this right?

Whether something's mono or stereo, you'll still get sound out of both speakers. The difference is that, with mono, the SAME signal is coming out of both speakers. With stereo, 2 different things are happening in each speaker. Panning doesn't change whether something's mono or stereo.

It's just........Logic. :D

I'm a little confused.

Whether something's mono or stereo, you'll still get sound out of both speakers. The difference is that, with mono, the SAME signal is coming out of both speakers. With stereo, 2 different things are happening in each speaker. Panning doesn't change whether something's mono or stereo.
It's just........Logic. :D

Ye..eah. Except maybe to clarify "the input" of what exactly- a reverb?

Basically most every source is mono, unless you have an actual stereo input source such as a external keyboard.

You can get a stereo effect with something like a reverb VST or chorus or delay. These are just added things after the recorded mono source.

They can themselves give a stereo image when inserted on a mono track. All relevant to what you are using tho.

Your tracks themselves start out as mono signals. What you do with them after changes that. I hope that made sense....

Basically most every source is mono, unless you have an actual stereo input source such as a external keyboard.

You can get a stereo effect with something like a reverb VST or chorus or delay. These are just added things after the recorded mono source.

They can themselves give a stereo image when inserted on a mono track. All relevant to what you are using tho.

Your tracks themselves start out as mono signals. What you do with them after changes that. I hope that made sense....
Ah ok, I think I understand Mixsit's post now, but I might be wrong.

Either way, like Jimmy said, it doesn't matter if the source is mono or stereo. The stereo reverb will still give you stereo reverb, etc....

In the context of the thread, though, we were talking about a full drum kit buss or send, which usually is stereo. See my caveat above re: mono>stereo vs true stereo plugins.

IDK how logic does it, but I'm guessing based on other DAWs that setting a track to mono or stereo is probably more about the input for recording: whether it will record one input to one mono file or two inputs either to two mono files or (more likely) one stereo. One would hope that the actual channel strip in the mixer is stereo through either way so that adding M>S plugs actually works as intended, but the some people's "logic" doesn't always follow mine, so... I'd probably test it out if I was you. I use Reaper, though, so it's not even an issue.

Ah ok, I think I understand Mixsit's post now, but I might be wrong.

Either way, like Jimmy said, it doesn't matter if the source is mono or stereo. The stereo reverb will still give you stereo reverb, etc....

Yeah, just wasn't Shure what he was asking. :)

Back