Dry Humour

GuitarLegend

I have heard people say on one or two occasions, "I have mastered the art of mixing..."

And I find it amusing. Shouldn't it be, "I have MIXED the art of mixing?"

Cos mastering is not mixing :D

hee hee

---------- Update ----------

I have mixed feelings about mastering....

When i hear people like CLA or Pensado saying that they still are learning stuff im really wondering why those guys who "mastered mixing" arn't the ones doing the big records

When i hear people like CLA or Pensado saying that they still are learning stuff im really wondering why those guys who "mastered mixing" arn't the ones doing the big records

I wonder why anyone would care what CLA or Pensado says.

I have heard people say on one or two occasions, "I have mastered the art of mixing..."

That's actually not bad. This is the kind of thing that, after I say it, I immediately tense up my stomach muscles because I know a punch is coming. And I know I deserve it!

hee hee

---------- Update ----------

I have mixed feelings about mastering....

Either one of those sounds better than "I have tossed salad".

Let me interject my dry humor.

Back in Black produced by Mutt Lange. Full of production value, recorded in the carribean.
Appetite for Destruction produced by (someone I can't remember just now). Sounds like it was recorded on a Tascam porta 3 in a garage.

Both were neck and neck for the biggest selling rock albums of all time. When you have a solid performance, the hard part is just making the good sound get on tape or in file. The rest is twiddling for an effect.

Contrast that to Guns and Roses "Chinese Democracy." Axl Rose doing most of the producing. Changing band members. Millions of dollars spent, including building a studio just to record this album. 13 years to release (though part of this was due to the managment failures of Interscope, which bought out Geffen Records.) It went triple platinum worldwide as a self-release and a deal with Best Buy in a few years just on fan base. But it has not yet reached AfD level in spite of being a better recorded and better produced album.

Sometimes, it's just that whatever you mixed or mastered or both is just a swing and a miss. Or line drive to left field, or whatever euphemism I can borrow from baseball.

You can go multi-platinum with a crappy mix in a garage. You can tank and barely recover costs with all the gear and savvy in the world of recording.

Now, that's just not fair, and kind of funny in a "Spinnal Tap" kind of way.

"Hello, Cleveland!"

Appetite for Destruction produced by (someone I can't remember just now). Sounds like it was recorded on a Tascam porta 3 in a garage.
Sorry but this is just so wrong I had to comment. Clink did a fine job and the albums sold 18 times platinum.

Sorry but this is just so wrong I had to comment. Clink did a fine job and the albums sold 18 times platinum.

I absolutely LIVED that album from 1988 thru 1994. Then I didn't listen to it again until about 2012. Once I heard it again for the first time in almost 2 decades, I was appalled. That album is a friggin mess! It still holds a dear place in my heart, and I know how fussed over that mix was. But I think it sounds like poo compared to most things that have come since. Excellent songs, excellent performances captured, but that mix is kind of a disaster.

Back