Drum mixing question

It's working about as well as its going to in that mix and doesn't sound bad by any means. Not MY ideal snare sound, but it's obviously all you have to work with and is indeed the way the snare was tuned. And as many people have posted already, the amount of ring is a matter of taste anyway. I don't think the average listener is going to notice, much less care about, the amount of ring you have in this snare.

My average listeners are the people on this forum lol so the more experienced ones would notice the ring. I'm pretty happy with the sound of the snare I just wanted to see if my novice drum mixing was going in the right direction.

The sample mix you posted sounded great, including the subtle ring of the snare which suits the track. I wish all my snares sounded that great. Don't change a thing dude, you're on the right track! Cheers

personally I hate the dry "popcorn fart" snare that way too many use - especially anything coming out of Nashville these days. Drums are constructed to r-e-s-o-n-a-t-e.

Hey Ido,

I just did a drum track and I thought of you. It has a slight ring in it, and I was bored after doing some tracks. So, I put together a quick thing.

First, I found what frequency was ringing (in this case, it was 534hz). Then, I made a clip that's about 40 seconds long.

What I did, was play the regular track for 10 seconds.

At 10 seconds in, I really crank the "ringing" frequency (534) about 18db.

At 20 seconds, I took it out completely, -18db.

At 30 seconds, I put it flat again.

So:

0-10 Regular ring (flat)
10-20 Cranked ring
20-30 No ring
30-40 Regular ring (flat)

I personally like the first and last 10 seconds the best, where there's a bit of a ring.

Obviously, 10-20 seconds is un-usable, it's just there for demonstration purposes.

20-30 sounds good, where there's no ring, too. But I prefer the ring.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Drum Ring.mp3
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
Interesting isolation Rami.
Yeah, the cranked version really piut the original thing into perspective.
Gerry, the version with the treated snare IN the mix sounds fine.

Hey Ido,

I just did a drum track and I thought of you. It has a slight ring in it, and I was bored after doing some tracks. So, I put together a quick thing.

First, I found what frequency was ringing (in this case, it was 534hz). Then, I made a clip that's about 40 seconds long.

What I did, was play the regular track for 10 seconds.

At 10 seconds in, I really crank the "ringing" frequency (534) about 18db.

At 20 seconds, I took it out completely, -18db.

At 30 seconds, I put it flat again.

So:

0-10 Regular ring (flat)
10-20 Cranked ring
20-30 No ring
30-40 Regular ring (flat)

I personally like the first and last 10 seconds the best, where there's a bit of a ring.

Obviously, 10-20 seconds is un-usable, it's just there for demonstration purposes.

20-30 sounds good, where there's no ring, too. But I prefer the ring.

Let me know what you think.

And that is the thing that can make or break a snare sound in a mix. If the ring is not there, then the snare can sound 'dead' in the mix. Too much, and it can get overkill. It depends on what else is going on in the mix, genre, style, blah blah.

Thank you for posting this RAMI. Very cool and helpful man.

:thumbs up:

I listened to the samples. Although ringing, the snare is not unusable. In a drum set mix, the snare is the most personal and subjective drum. Some like it deep and thick and short, others like it high and sharp like a 2x4 hit with a hammer. In this case, with no way to retrack, I think the raw snare would add a sense of space in the total mix. I would leave it raw and not put reverb on the main tracks. In other words, try letting the ring be your reverb. I did that with a very open bass drum once. Other than retracking, I don't see a good fix. Is there a client who is unhappy?
Rod Norman
Engineer

And that is the thing that can make or break a snare sound in a mix. If the ring is not there, then the snare can sound 'dead' in the mix. Too much, and it can get overkill. It depends on what else is going on in the mix, genre, style, blah blah.

Thank you for posting this RAMI. Very cool and helpful man.

:thumbs up:
Thanx man. I hope Ido comes back to this thread at some point.

Thanks for the sample Rami - TBH I couldn't hear the ring when your clip started lol, but it was apparent at the end once my ears found the exaggerated ring frequency. I think the ring on mine sounds more pronounced, yours is softer, but my clip was just the snare so I'm not sure. I can definitely hear mine ring in the mix because the instruments are sort of start/stop and the ring keeps jumping out. That's what led me to gate/eq it. In a different arrangement I might not have noticed it at all.

Back