Doubling Track for Wide Stereo Image

SBax

I have an old cassette tape mix where I doubled the vocals in stereo to give a wide image. It sound almost like two vocals hard panned R and L. I think I used a stereo multieffects box I sold. Now I am using Sonar 3 and I am trying for the same effect with a lead guitar part. I cloned the track, panned one hard R and one hard L I then advanced the cloned track in time. But all it seems to do is push the track focus left or right. What am I missing here? Thanks.

SBax said:
I have an old cassette tape mix where I doubled the vocals in stereo to give a wide image. It sound almost like two vocals hard panned R and L. I think I used a stereo multieffects box I sold. Now I am using Sonar 3 and I am trying for the same effect with a lead guitar part. I cloned the track, panned one hard R and one hard L I then advanced the cloned track in time. But all it seems to do is push the track focus left or right. What am I missing here? Thanks.

mess around with the timing of the delay (5-20ms) on the cloned track to find a length that minimizes phasing problems and still sounds good. You could also use doubling plugins or stereo plugins that essentially do the same thing. it may be better to just record the part twice and pan each hard.

In addition to moving the doubled track a slight amount (adding delay), I would also suggest detuning the doubled track. Not detuned enough to make it sound sour...just sort of a chorused effect. You can also eq the two guitar tracks differently.

If you clone tracks for double tracking it means when you play the mix in mono then phasing occurs. So if you want your music played on radio then dont clone tracks. Record them twice. I made that mistake and now my mixes sound nasty in mono.

Back