Does trying to copy the reference track exactly help in terms of sound designing?

ehxhfl443

Hi guys, recently, i try to copy the exact sound (not awkwardly similar, but exact) referencing a certain instrumental track. I get to look for samples a lot, trying to figure how to EQ blah blah to make the same sound. But i don't know if people usually do this to practice something. Do u guys think this thing could help? Or not really?

People do this all the time. As we work on something we can lose our objectivity.
A reference track is an instant reality check. We'll hear on our own system how it 'should' sound.
Brings ya right back down to earth.
:D

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah 'the objectivity' is the quote of the day for me.
I have been learning music over 2 years and a half at this point, and i would say i am now fine with overall flow, progression, and okay sound (even though i need to be better as life long term for sure), but as i compare my music to commercial songs out there (i do k-pop music btw), i definitely see how overall tone they deliver is 'more fit to the genre and the typical market' and ' typical sounds that many listeners have heard so they won't bother' .
And i really think i need to be around that 'objectivity' especially i want to do 'pop music' or 'k-pop'. I know how most of EDM producers want to sound 'differenet' so they are kinda against me doing this 'copying' (even though i still think they still need some objectivity')
I try to begin with copying the exact same drum tone and then instrument overall referencing simple instrumental musics out there first no matter how long takes. Do u think this is what i need for now to upgrade my sound to the commercial level?

If there are specific styles and sounds that you feel have to be present in your genre, then sure, try to copy that. Or go out on a limb and do your own thing. Nothing wrong with either approach. Listening to known good reference mixes can be helpful you reset your ears, but don't pull your hair out trying to nail someone else's sound because you're not them, you're probably not using their equipment, and honestly, 2 years of experience is nothing. I think trying to copy something is at the very least a good way to learn how to control your processes and effects.

I'd bring the ref down in level to match what you're working on,
and also remember that the refs would have been already mastered, so there is a bit of added processing in most cases that the mix didn't have,..
Refs in the beginning are good to get a bead on something or direction, but how it was recorded and the experience of the person behind the gear, lends itself to how it got mixed.

If ppl send a ref for mastering, I don't listen to it until after I'm through, because I don't want the influence,..
but I'll check it when done and if I'm far off go back and adjust to accommodate. gl

Trying to copy a reference track is a good way of developing your recording skills. It helps you figure out how to get particular sounds, and you can then add those techniques to your arsenal of recording skills. That's if I have understood you corectly, i.e. you are seeking to reproduce the reference track itself, not just trying to get similar EQ, level etc on some other track that you are doing.

I think both, but that the op is more interested in recreating something.

Either way having something good, something you like to shoot for is always a good thing.
:D

Back