Does this mixer exist?

I'm looking to do a hybrid thing if I have to, for no reason other than convenience.

Well I certainly can't argue against it...I love my hybrid rig, but TBH...when I track, I really don't get too hung up on tweaking the channels. I mean, I have my deck outputs wired to the console, so I am able to set up a rough cue mix, and at most, I'll have some basic reverb on an aux bus, and I'll touch the EQ's a bit just to get things to settle in, plus the pan & level.
I do agree that it's very easy to do that with an external console compared to using the DAW mixer when initially tracking.

You might want to check out the Harrison Mixbus...they say it a very "console like" DAW rig.
Harrison Consoles: Mixbus

Other than that, if you go for hardware, and you want all the processing options and recall stuff, and all that...I would think a digital console will be your best bet to interface with you DAW...and there should be a few options out there that are budget friendly considering that small format digital mixer have been around for a long time...like going back to the Yamaha O2R and stuff like that...
...but yeah, I saw that new one from Presonus in a magazine, and it's supposed to have it all....not sure about the price though.
I think going with an analog console might make it more complex...the multi-I/O on the interface...etc....though 16 channels isn't that much of an issue or expense these days...but still you would need the console and the multi-interface for $2k...mmm...not sure about that.

Yeah, that is one thing, if I went analog I'd need a new interface. Probably rackmount too and patching it would be a pain because I'm sitting several feet from the rack. It doesn't sound like I'd have to go that route luckily because there are plenty of interface/mixer combos out there. I didn't even know they existed when I started this search.

I saw an ad for harrison the other day, I'm not sure I'm ready to change daws though. If it came with a surface that would do what I wanted though, hey now we're talking. :)

Mixbus has a tube channel. I seem to remember, around the holidays, that they had a vid about surfaces.

I usually just boot Linux (ubuntu studio)to run it though. I do like the console GUI and the built in "hardware". It is often that I open it up and start looking around for something that must be turned on, because it shouldn't be sounding so good.

If they have one at guitar center! That's as high-end as it gets on the west side that I know of. :\ It looks gorgeous and seems like it does what I want, I must have overlooked it earlier.

Well, I think the x32 was successful enough that there should be a trend in those types of machines

How about an Allen & Heath QU16? I have used one live and they are fantastic. Don't know how much they are in your area?

If you want something cheaper how about something like a secondhand Tascam DM series (maybe DM24) digital mixer?

Alan.

If you are happy with your number of tracks at a time when you do track a project, and you're using Logic Pro X, Then I don't see why a control surface isn't the solution. Logic is readily interfaced with almost every control surface out there and basically you'd be setting up the internal console as your external console with the surface.

However if you are looking to increase your number of tracks at input then a digital board might be the answer. I'm of the same mind as Witzend in that there are lots of really (still) excellent sounding consoles available like the Yamaha 02R or an older Tascam TM24. Lots more records are still being made by these two pieces than most imagine. And both of these examples sound a LOT better than the average low-budget mostly live board.

The Presonus is one that sits squarely in the middle as being able to handle projects both live and in the studio.

I'm guessing easy street is the order of the day. Everything plugged in, knobs/sliders, and effects ? Just a matter if you want it straight to the DAW for editing ?

Yeah I'm really liking the qu16 witzendoz, I think it would be top of my list. Pricier than others but it's got rave reviews.

I've kind of been holding out hope cavedog of finding a surface I like that has a ton of encoders, they just don't seem to pack too many on there, 8 is where most of them top out. A surface would be perfect though, I got no preference one way or the other so plain old midi control would be just fine. Lots of good consoles too no doubt and probably relatively affordable used nowadays. There are some logistical problems with larger equipment for me though, my room's a little "cozy" heh

Yeah I'm really liking the qu16 witzendoz, I think it would be top of my list. Pricier than others but it's got rave reviews.

There is a second edition called chrome, so there may be some of the first edition going cheaper around the place. Over here in Oz there is not market for secondhand ones as everyone is hanging onto themLOL.

With control surfaces the granddaddy of control surfaces, If you have the money you could get a SSL Nucleus, there is a second version of this released LINK LINK to version 1, so again there may be sone of the first version going into the secondhand market almost within reach.

Alan.

Nick, I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. Unless you are running outboard gear or need to sum a lot of inputs, why would you want a mixer? Get a MIDI controller. And man! Don't even think about trading in those channel units for the input preamps on a cheap digital mixer.

Nick, I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. Unless you are running outboard gear or need to sum a lot of inputs, why would you want a mixer? Get a MIDI controller. And man! Don't even think about trading in those channel units for the input preamps on a cheap digital mixer.

Sorry which Cheap mixer are you referring too? Hope not the Allen & Heath, their pres are great, I do agree that the outboard pres should be still used as well. None of my suggestions have Bad pres.

Alan.

I don't know the specifics of the mixer. Sorry, shouldn't have assumed. Point is, Nick has got nice outboard preamps and has been tracking great vocals with them. Again I may be assuming, but I would think he would need to spend a lot to get a mixer with preamps and compression close to what he already has. That's what I should have said.

One should be able to skip most any part of the mixer getting the outboard pres in, and, skip the mixer straight out

Hey Ray, I'm keeping everything up to the converters at least, running line level through any mixer shouldn't be detrimental to the sound. Even if it were, it might still be worth the convenience of having physical controls. Check out the full thread for info on how/why. . .

Seems you're getting closer and closer to a control surface! SSL Nucleus has been mentioned and that's the daddy of them all. For your budget I can't see how a couple of Avid Artist Mix controllers wouldn't be the perfect solution. And if you need the machine control, then the Artist Control with the Mix is the thing. 12 faders right up front and of course multiple layers....This is my system currently. Works great.

The deal with almost all of the control surfaces, is your not going to get multiple encoders right on the front. It's just the way it is. A console isn't going to give you that either although you would have an EQ(probably) and aux access to your outboard.....But it doesn't sound like this is your solution.

Focusrite makes a nifty little hybrid called the 2802. It's basically an analog console with a control surface as well as DAW integration. They are bundled with the Focusrite plugs as well. I have these plug-ins in my library and when I do use them they are quite good.

One thing to remember is the integration part. Some surfaces are specific to their DAW programs. Since you are on Logic Pro X then you probably use a Mac, so all the Avid and Mackie and Euphonics are dead on ease of use for that. Many others too, but there are some that won't work at all.

Again, the number of encoders you've mentioned doesn't exist....and that was your question in the first place! It's going to be one encoder and some soft switches per channel even on the SSL.

Thanks for the info cavedog, the knobs are kind of the reason I want hardware though so it's a tough decision.

I guess my key takeaway from all this is yes, this mixer does exist! There are a few options actually. I'm not sure yet what I'll end up with (or whether it's a mixer after all) but I think I got enough info to figure it out.

Well, feel free to wander over to GC and see if any of the knobs fit your fingers and see if you can grab stuff without really paying attention

mixer

Hi all- I'm new to mixers so I'm wondering if this exists?

16 channels, interface on board (usb or firewire or something, 16 in/out), faders (motorized or not), pan, highpass, 4 band eq with sweepable mids, compressor on each channel (one knob is fine, as long as it sounds decent.) Digital or hybrid, I don't care.

Basically I'm desperate to ditch the mouse for the basic stuff, I'm looking into control surfaces too but it looks like I might enjoy a mixer more. Anyone have any recommendations that kind of fit this bill?
Neotek 16 channel table top. True in line console . If i could afford it , i would buy. Everything you're looking for and more. Made to your specs from Sytek out of Chicago. A REAL analog console and for the money it beats SSL's

Depends on what the poster ends up using it for ? I, basically, only mixer record live mixed synths to 2-buss. Stuff that resembles multi=tracking a song hits the interface. And, I play summing games with the old Tascam

For a mess of synths, its invaluable for getting levels and freq. space. With my drum pads, I can have them on their own MIDI channel right from the controller - just have to set up the daw tracks

Plus 4 banks of four for controller MIDI cc or daw protocol

Just saying, you might never know how things end up
TriggerFinPro-large.jpg

Hi all! Following up:

I’ve used a few different daws (and not daws heh) for mixing and settled on harrison mixbus a few months ago- I really got into the workflow/sound of it. They recently added special support for the x-touch, so you can tweak each channel strip really easy. So I got the x-touch and used it for a mix last night and I love it! I was a bit worried because of the brand name but this is solid, more than adequate for a hobbyist like myself.

Adjusting the levels and panning is really easy and fun. Being able to tweak freq and dB for each eq at once makes it really easy to find settings you like. I was able to get a mix I liked without any plugins, which doesn’t really happen for me. As I was in the middle I realized my computer screen went black from being idle and I hadn’t even noticed.

At first I went ham with my newfound power and ended up with something awful but after starting over I found a nice balance and had fun doing it.

If you’re on the fence I’d definitely recommend giving a control surface a try, it’s like trying a new instrument, super fun.

Back