Does anyone use the UAD plugins?

jkuehlin

Out of the re-issue UAD plugins such as the 1176's, Neve's and LA2A's, who uses the non-legacy versions? Do you find them worth the money?

In hindsight, which ones are you glad you bought, and which ones did you wish you hadn't paid extra for?

Hmmm, let's see...

I upgraded the Neve 88RS to get the unison feature and very glad I did.
I did not upgrade the 1176's, the LA2A, the Pultec Pro, nor the Fairchild 670 and I don't see a need to do so.

I have the SPL transient designer and precision de-esser which I never use.

The newer ones do act more like the real things (the different revisions). It's hard to describe the difference. The legacy version acts like a generic 1176, while the new ones act like the specific ones.

Since i.don't think you can buy the different revisions separately, I won't go into my favorites.

Hmmm, let's see...

I upgraded the Neve 88RS to get the unison feature and very glad I did.
I did not upgrade the 1176's, the LA2A, the Pultec Pro, nor the Fairchild 670 and I don't see a need to do so.

I have the SPL transient designer and precision de-esser which I never use.

I bought a killer insane bundle of these things second hand with an octo plus card. I have many of the Plugin Alliance units on the UAD, but I'm also missing a bunch. Until I see hard, clear, and obvious proof that the same plugs aren't just re-branded, I'm not going to spend a dime on them. If you know of any documentation that compares or contrasts the Plugin Alliance vs the UAD, do let me know.

The newer ones do act more like the real things (the different revisions). It's hard to describe the difference. The legacy version acts like a generic 1176, while the new ones act like the specific ones.

Since i.don't think you can buy the different revisions separately, I won't go into my favorites.

I have all of the 1176's and absolutely agree they are unique and musical in a variety of ways. Basically I was wondering if the LA2A's and the Neves are as much improved as the 1176 bundles are.

I bought a killer insane bundle of these things second hand with an octo plus card. I have many of the Plugin Alliance units on the UAD, but I'm also missing a bunch. Until I see hard, clear, and obvious proof that the same plugs aren't just re-branded, I'm not going to spend a dime on them. If you know of any documentation that compares or contrasts the Plugin Alliance vs the UAD, do let me know.

Sorry, I don't know what the plug-in alliance is. Maybe a promo bundle I hadn't heard about. Cool deal you got the Octo card for a good price. I use the apollo interface so getting a channel strip that uses the unison feature was my motivation. I had the original Neve 88rs plug, but paid to upgrade it after getting the apollo. It was more than I wanted to spend, but glad I did.

The others, I wouldn't consider upgrading. Maybe the newer versions are exact emulations, but I really don't care about that. They sound great as they are and they work for me.

But, you can always audition whatevr plug you want for 2 weeks for free. Just start using it. A tip to renew the trial period is to reload the software. That sets the trial expiration dates back to zero.

I'm not a neve guy, so I never popped for any of them. Now I can't remember if I have the la2a's.

Hmmm, let's see...

I have the SPL transient designer

If you know how to track and mix, you'll never need this one.

I consider plug-ins like these to be band-aid plug-ins because they try to fix what is wrong with the tracking process.

btw I have the uad quad card. I got it so I don't have to make a domain change. I have a good analog sound already through my mic preamps I made. I only use my outboard gear when I need to.

As far as them copying the originals, it does a good job and on a few, I think they actually have a better sound than the outboard version.

The outboard versions sometimes don't sound like other outboard versions. At least the software is consistent.

If you know how to track and mix, you'll never need this one.
I don't know where that comes from. Have to disagree with you there. Depending on how stringently you define the word 'need' perhaps. Definitely not an absolute necessity, but certainly a usable tool.

I consider plug-ins like these to be band-aid plug-ins because they try to fix what is wrong with the tracking process.
Again, I respectfully have no idea how or why you've come to that conclusion. I'm open to hearing your reasoning if you are open to sharing it.

I only use my outboard gear when I need to.
agree with you there
I think they actually have a better sound than the outboard version.
and there too

Last edited:
Back