Do you think DJ mixing is of the same creative/technical caliber as track mixing?

miroslav

Cosmic Cowboy
In honor of grimtraveller.....:D.....another "opinion" question for everyone to kick around. :facepalm:

And as added "bonus" questions....;).....how much does it compare purely from the creative perspective?
Is taking someone else's vision/mix that they work on piece by piece, and then simply putting your "aftertouch" on something with a more global approach?

Last edited:
Creative, maybe. Technical, unlikely. The amount of channels you deal with in DJ mixing (2) is of no comparison to what professional and even home recording deal with (sometimes over 100). The imagination and passion and art of the DJ is not lost on me, but I can't say that the ability compares with tweaking, eqing, compressing, volume matching and etc. etc. etc. that comes with producing music from tracks. IMO

Define DJ mixing. I know a DJ and all he does is fade out one song while the next one fades in. A five-year-old could do that.

ok, you asked. that would be a no. Next time you see a DJ dealing with multiple performers, 30, 40, 52 channels, mixing up to 16 mixes at once on the fly (monitors) as well as a road manager breathing down your neck the whole time please let me know and I will stand corrected. Thanks

by definition, no.
They are some that are like electronic musicians (synths, samplers, ect) but over the years, they have been reclassified as a "Live PA". Most of them don't run cds or turntables. The ones that do, use them as effects.

Do you think DJ mixing is of the same creative/technical caliber as track mixing?
Yes and no.
They're both very different disciplines with a different intent and therefore outcome.
Track mixing has a far more long range goal, because it's effects are going to be judged, analysed and scrutinised for ever {or until the world as we know it ends}. Track mixing exists on all kinds of levels which are not all apparent to everyone at once.
The DJ has a skill that is of a high caliber but they are primarily concerned with immediacy. Even DJs that make recordings aren't really that concerned with sonic trickery. But a DJ is kept on their toes because they are constantly reacting to real people in the moment and there's no room for correcting mistakes or "trying the mix again." It's a bit like a film actor that can do dozens of takes vs a theatre actor who can't. They have skills that overlap and they may be of the same caliber, but in different spheres.
I don't think a DJ would necessarily want to mix tracks seeing they like immediacy and I don't think many mix engineers could do what DJs do.

LOL@everyone who just found this thread...........................................after two weeks. :D ;)

It was really meant as a Weird Al Yankovic-like parody of Grim's recent threads....I didn't expect serious responses. :)

LOL@everyone who just found this thread...........................................after two weeks. :D ;)

It was really meant as a Weird Al Yankovic-like parody of Grim's recent threads....I didn't expect serious responses. :)

ok, you got me, check please. lol

Cant believe the level of trolling on this site....

Speaking of trolling, let's talk fishing! I think the stripers will be late this year-ocean temp is only up to 49F. Last year they were running off of Plum Island by now. As far as fresh water goes, bass are getting frisky, but you have to go rather deep for them. The deeper lakes should start turning over the weekend, air temps in the 60's over the weekend, and the mid 70's on Monday before a cool down next week.

I know it is a troll, but i Dj professionally and also mix. Djing is like running live sound more than mixing. Also, it is more about being a host than just an audio guy.

Back