Dither - My Ears can't hear it

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattkw80

I've thrown Dither plug-ins on many a Master Bus, because a book told I me I should.

But, my ears don't hear a difference.

Just to make sure I'm doing it right.....

1. I throw a Dither plug-in on the master bus.

2. Select "16-bit"

3. Leave all the "Dither Type 1, Type 2, etc." alone

4. RENDER my track

I really don't hear what this does, during - or after. With it, or without.

What am I listening for ?

First off, I'd recommend playing around with the dither settings instead of leaving them alone. Each one represents a different type of dithering algorithm, each with it's own effect depending upon content. Sometimes you might like one over the other, or one may simply sound more apparent than another on any given source.

As far as what to listen for, don't expect any earthshaking differences. Try different dithers and during playback of each just close your eyes and lean back in your chair and let the mixes hit you as they hit you. Which one just feels better for some reason you can't quite put your finger on? Pick that one.

G.

I used the built in ditherer in Cakewalk pro audio 9.3 last week, (to change down from 24 to 16) and found, with a fairly hot mix, that there were quite a few bits of click/pop sort of artifacts. I assume the algorithm doesn't like hot mixes or that there was conflict with a plug.
I've yet to try a plug in ditherer. Are there any recommendations?

I do not know of a single DAW that does not do the dithering for you.

Apart from specialized applications, I can't really see a need for you to do it yourself.

You shouldn't notice the effects of dither until you have a very low level signal - one that crosses only a couple of quantizing levels. Even then it'll just sound like white noise.

The differences in types of dither are usually very subtle. You can hear the differences mostly in the higher frequencies, particularly with different types of noise shaped dithering. In general the difference between dithering and not is that truncation lends itself to a granier, less "organic" sound than audio that is dithered properly.

I do not know of a single DAW that does not do the dithering for you.

Apart from specialized applications, I can't really see a need for you to do it yourself.

You shouldn't notice the effects of dither until you have a very low level signal - one that crosses only a couple of quantizing levels. Even then it'll just sound like white noise.

Pezking -

So.... when I 'render' there is a certain amount of Dithering going on anyway ?

Pezking -

So.... when I 'render' there is a certain amount of Dithering going on anyway ?

If you're going from 24 bit to 16 bit I wouldn't assume it. Pro Tools systems for example will not. And since you want the option to choose the type of dither I wouldn't expect this to happen automagically nor would I want it to. Or at the least have an option to change it after the program defaulted to what it though was "best".

I'll give it another go.... but I really hear no difference.

Will the EQ change, or the dynamics ?
When it does matter, it will, in most cases, "feel" slightly different. Sometimes if you look too hard for it, you'll miss it. It's kind of like one of those 3D images where if you look at it in detail you see nothing, but if you just relax and let it hit you, it pops out.

There is a very good chance you won't hear a difference. It could be becase of the content itself that it just doesn't matter, it could be that your ears just are not there yet, it could be because your dithering algorithms just are not suited well for your content, etc. If you don't, I wouldn't worry about it.

G.

I can tell right away if my tracks are dithered or not. I'll put up some files later today with different dithering, and no dithering and see if anyone can tell which is which.

I can tell right away if my tracks are dithered or not. I'll put up some files later today with different dithering, and no dithering and see if anyone can tell which is which.

Excellent NL5 - that could help.

Until I develop my ears more - how evil would it be to skip dithering all together ?

I've thrown Dither plug-ins on many a Master Bus ... my ears don't hear a difference.

Nor should you hear a difference. The importance of dither is one of the Big Lies among many lies in audio. There are two different recent threads about this - one at Gearslutz in the Mastering section, and another at Lynn Fuston's 3dB forum (main section). In both cases I proved - to my satisfaction! :D - that dither is inaudible in all cases, no matter what source material you have. And this makes perfect sense once you think about it.

The effect of dither is down at the noise floor of 16 bit material, meaning it's 90+ dB below the music and also masked by the music. Most recordings have a noise floor at least 20 dB higher than that due to room tone, guitar amp hiss, and so forth, combined from all the tracks in the mix.

I summarize the main issues in this article:

www.ethanwiner.com/dither.html

You can download a file where I turned dither on and off several times during the course of a mix, including right in the middle of a soft clean guitar part. Anyone who thinks they can hear dither is welcome to listen to that file and tell me where the dither is and where it's not. I have $100 that says you're wrong. :D

--Ethan

Nor should you hear a difference. The importance of dither is one of the Big Lies among many lies in audio. Anyone who thinks they can hear dither is welcome to listen to that file and tell me where the dither is and where it's not. I have $100 that says you're wrong. :D

--Ethan

Ethan....Gasp...you can't see the kings new clothes? :D BTW, isn't that even odds on a coin toss, assuming there's no audible difference?

The way to listen to dither is to take the very tail end of a fade, down where you can't even hear it any more at normal listening level, and copy that part. Paste it into a new project, VIP, whatever..... and then crank the volume way, way up. I don't recommend just looping over the tail in the whole file just in case something goes wrong and you end up shredding your cones.

It all depends on what you are listening to. If you listen to something with a long reverb decay (at the point where the signal is +/- 1 LSB) you can clearly hear quantization distortion in the absence of dither - the worst example would be a sinusoid because it'd become square like. With the dither you don't hear it anymore - it just sounds random, like noise, however this noise is amplitude modulated about the wanted signal (music, whatever) and so you can still hear the programme material but slightly noisy.

However, given the correct programme material the effects of dither, and possibly dither itself are definitely audible.

Yes, the science behind what dither does is well known, and its effect can be measured. But it's not audible.

If its effects are inaudible, then what's the point in doing it?

The way to listen to dither is to take the very tail end of a fade, down where you can't even hear it any more at normal listening level, and copy that part. Paste it into a new project, VIP, whatever..... and then crank the volume way, way up.

Yeah but who would ever do that to a song? If that's what it takes to hear the dithering algorithm, then who really cares?

I won't say that no one can hear it, but I will say that a lot of people can hear anything if they listen for it...

then crank the volume way, way up.
Exactly. The only time dither can be detected is if you turn up the volume unnaturally during a fadeout, or a reverb tail that's mostly decayed, such that playing the rest of the track will blow out your speakers and your ears. To my way of thinking this is not "audible" because you can hear it only in a contrived test.

If you listen to something with a long reverb decay (at the point where the signal is +/- 1 LSB) you can clearly hear quantization distortion in the absence of dither
Not at normal listening levels! And that's my whole point.

If its effects are inaudible, then what's the point in doing it?
This too is my point. It's not worth doing! I don't argue too strongly against the use of dither because it costs nothing. Maybe an extra half second when rendering a 3 minute tune. As opposed to 24 bits and/or high sample rates that waste a lot of disk space and CPU for no gain.

I dunno Ethan, seems that some can hear at least a difference ...
No, they only believe they can hear a difference. As soon as you test them blind all of a sudden that have no idea if the music has been dithered or not. Hence my $100 wager. Hey, you think you can tell if music is dithered or not? Go for it. Try my test file. I'll even up it to $200 just for you - the offer is good through midnight tomorrow. :D

--Ethan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back