Dither - My Ears can't hear it

Status
Not open for further replies.
ethan made things harder than i think they should be too. if you give correct answers for 3 files and switch the right positions of two, you failed. nahhhh.

the background noise in the 9 bit sample is pretty loud, really distracting. if it was only a 9 bit vs 16 bit test, i'm sure we would have at least 95% of correct "guesses".

and i ever knew that nasty maths classes would serve me for something one day or another, glen. :D

Last edited:
I knew a guy, Paul, who lost the ability to taste Tabasco sauce after years of seasoning his foods with Scotch bonnet peppers. To him, Tabasco might as well have been water.

Paul also fancied himself a chef. I ate his cooking a few times, and invariably couldn't finish the meal because my mouth burned too much. Apparently, as he cooked and seasoned a dish, Paul figured "the recipe calls for some spice, so a few dashes of Tabasco can't hurt." Which is nonsense. He was incapable of judging the effect of his seasoning, but since most of us are sensitive to capsaicin even in small amounts, Paul's attitude was basically irresponsible.

I might summarize my advice to Paul as: People who can't taste Tabasco sauce have no business cooking with it.

OK, that's a little heavy-handed, but I hope the analogy is clear.

Beginners reason that "I can't hear a difference, but experts say I should dither, so what's the harm?" The recipe, in essence, calls for some spice. But as with Paul above, that reasoning is flawed. What we really SHOULD be asking ourselves is "If I can't hear a difference, how can I judge when I've caused harm?!"

For a mixing engineer, adding things "just because" is fundamentally irresponsible. What dither actually does, or who tells you to use it, is irrelevant. Even that it makes sense on paper is irrelevant. If you can't hear its effects, you have no business adding it to your mix, because you're incapable of judging how others might perceive it.

Perhaps I could generalize my advice to Paul: Don't add stuff, to a mix or a recipe, that you can't sense, but that others might.

That analogy is a bit inaccurate though, by not adding spice you are not adding anything. OTOH when you are not adding dither you are adding harmonic distortion, when adding dither you are adding noise, but removing harmonic distortion created from quantization distortion.

I think that a better analogy would be if Paul was making a choice between adding Tabasco sauce or curry powder and kept putting curry on my tacos.

I emailed my answers and never heard back
I always acknowledge all emails, so either I never got your submission or you never got my reply.

I have them as 5. 3, 4, 2, 1 although I am unsure of 3 and 4 it was a tossup. (worst-best)
Almost. :D

The main failing with that test is anyone can look at the Wave files in an editor and see what's going on. So there's no control for cheating. I think this is Glen's problem too, in his quest to develop an online dither example. If people have access to the files they can cheat.

--Ethan

I don't think I have heard anyone in this thread say that they could *identify* dither in a sound test.

Plenty of people have said that dither is audible and important. But whenever I ask for an example showing dither as being audible, they never have it and instead make excuses.

"Dither" does not have a sound of it's own

Hey, we agree on that! :D

There are many different dither algorithms of varios quality and of various color of effect on different recordings of different nature.

Talk about back-pedaling! So now you're saying that dither adds a quality and a color effect, yes? Okay, so let's see your example. As I said earlier, forget the blind test and just post two otherwise identical files where one is dithered and the other is not.

I do wish this thread would die rather than keep spiraling around in circles ad nauseum.

I keeps spiraling because you and others insist the use of dither is audible, yet every time I ask for a pair of demo files y'all come back with excuses. The only files posted so far that show dither as audible were recorded at -80 dB, which is clearly ridiculous.

Glen, I hate coming off like a hard-ass here because I'm not really a prick. But the only way this will die is for someone to post a pair of files where all in attendance can listen and agree they sound different.

--Ethan

the correct formula for this is 5x4x3x2 = 1 in 120, or 2 correct answers for each 240 tries.

Thanks for the correction, that sounds right. Though as I said above, the test does not preclude cheating. And 2 correct out of 66 might be possibly random because the sample size is not very large. Also, the worst three files are quite obvious, further skewing the results.

some people, in a blind test, can actually prefer a lossy format sound

Excellent point. Many people picked the 9 bit version as "best" because they liked the character of the added distortion and confused that with higher fidelity.

but they ARE different

Yes, but only the lowest bit-rate versions. The top two files (16 bits dithered and truncated) sound exactly the same.

i really don't think it's a good idea to mix, record and etcetera at a lower bitrate. it's hard to believe you are serious about it.

I'm not advocating 11 bits! But 16 bits is fine, and surpasses the fidelity of even the finest Studer analog recorder.

--Ethan

I always acknowledge all emails, so either I never got your submission or you never got my reply.

Almost. :D

The main failing with that test is anyone can look at the Wave files in an editor and see what's going on. So there's no control for cheating. I think this is Glen's problem too, in his quest to develop an online dither example. If people have access to the files they can cheat.

--Ethan

Can you PM me the correct answer then?

I wouldn't even know what to look for in a wave editor..........

".....
I'm not advocating 11 bits! But 16 bits is fine, and surpasses the fidelity of even the finest Studer analog recorder...."

--Ethan

You know, if you use a Studer to record your mixes, you don't need dithering because the tape hiss is good enough "noise" to accomplish the task!

Maybe we need to go back to analog recording. It has "auto-dithering" built in.

Plenty of people have said that dither is audible and important. But whenever I ask for an example showing dither as being audible, they never have it and instead make excuses.
Round and round and round and round.. ugh.:(

There is a HUGE DIGFFERENCE between asking if people can hear a difference between dithered and truncated and asking them to ID which is which. And when you through a bunch of camoflague in in the form of irrelevant files such a low-word length files and MP3s, it just clouds the issue when you are asking them to ID which is which.
Talk about back-pedaling! So now you're saying that dither adds a quality and a color effect, yes?
No no no NO NO NO! Geez, Ethan, you either are just not listening, or you just don't GET IT.

Please read the following paragraph carefully.

Dither IS NOT NOISE in the classical analog way of thinking. The application of dither does NOT ADD SOUND to the signal. Dither only adds "noise" in the definition of digital information theory; i.e. it removes information - meaning it removes regular patterns in the signal (such as truncation clipping and the resulting harmonic distortion.) In this way, it actually REMOVES sound from the signal, not add to it. How much sound there actually IS TO BE REMOVED and how well of a job the dithering will do in removing it is entrely dependant upon the combination of the nature of original content and the type of dither used to combat it. Some signals have less audible or measurable harmonic distortion caused by truncation than others, and some types of harmonic distortion are more strongly smoothed by some types of dither than others. This is why "dither" cannot be just lumped together as a single entity.

An overly-simplistic analogy might be if you had a 60Hz hum and you wanted to try and attack it with EQ. If you only have a 5-band EQ, say, with the closest bands centering around 40 and 100 Hz, it's not going to have much of an effect on the hum. To conclude from that instance that EQ is useless for reducing hum or other noises is just ridiculous. And to conclude that because the 40 and 100 Hz EQ cuts impart no particular color of their own (it's a good quality EQ :D) that they are uselessly inaudible devices is also ridiculous. Finally to use such examples as representative of "EQ" in general - i.e. to lump every kind of equalization together as a single entity, pretending that a wide Q bandpass, a high shelf, a notch and a cascading harmonic filter are all the same thing because they are all "EQ" is just plain wrong.
Okay, so let's see your example. As I said earlier, forget the blind test and just post two otherwise identical files where one is dithered and the other is not.
You've already done that Ethan, and plenty of people have responded and indicated that they can hear a difference. You're just throwing them the curve ball of asking them to identify *which is which*.

Again, the effects of dither are not always audible by everyobdy in all situations, but they are in some by some. Here's another analogy that may help. I's like trying to find a red box sitting on a blue table in a low light situation where only the rods and not the cones in our eyes are working and we can only see things in very low contrast shades of black and gray. Some people will be able to see the box on the table by noticing a very subtle difference in shading betwee the box and the table. Others won't see the box; there won't be the contrast enough for them to see anything but a dim gray table surface. What you are asking those who claim to see the difference between the box and the table which one is red and which one is blue, and when they can't tell which is which for sure, you conclude that they aren't really seeing the difference after all.
But the only way this will die is for someone to post a pair of files where all in attendance can listen and agree they sound different.
Why does an effect have to be audible and identifiable by everybody for it to be valid? My mother can often not hear a difference between a 24bit WAV file and 33.3RPM vinyl. The difference between a 2" tape and a 1/4" tape would be absolutely lost on her. Your average Joe Citizen thinks 128bit MP3 sounds just fine, (and frankly for casual listening - I have news for you - so do I.) Does that mean that anything better sounding than a 1/4" tape or a vinyl album or an MP3 is irrelevant or even mythical?

If it's all or nothing, then anything above 1950s quality of reproduction technology is a waste of time because there are some people out there that can't tell the difference. I think you'll find a few besides myself who will find that a ridiculous argument.

If it's not all or nothing, Ethan, then where do you draw the line? What percentage is the make or break point of what makes something worthwhile? Does it have to even be a majority? If only 49% of the people could appreciate a difference, does that mean it's not worthwhile because 51% don't? Even if it's only one out of a hundred, or even one out of a thousand, if it costs virtually nothing in time or money to to go all the way and make it better for that one in a thousand, what's wrong with that?

G.

I'm not advocating 11 bits! But 16 bits is fine

i don't think 16 bits so awful too, but... if 11 bits is worse (and you agree with this), explain us why couldn't 24 bits be better.

the 2nd file of your test appears to have slightly more fullness than the 1st. i guess 2nd is dithered (and it's really a guess, since i'm no expert and wouldn't know what to look for in a wave editor too). but the point is that neither of the files sound exactly the same. really not.

the big problem is this:

the only way this will die is for someone to post a pair of files where all in attendance can listen and agree they sound different.

the differences of dithered vs truncated at a 24 to 16 bits conversion are subtlety at its best. you're wanting an example where this difference sounds obvious. that's impossible. so, this thread will spiral in circles forever and ever.

better get my coffee cup. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction, that sounds right. Though as I said above, the test does not preclude cheating. And 2 correct out of 66 might be possibly random because the sample size is not very large. Also, the worst three files are quite obvious, further skewing the results.
Or, to put it simply, the test is, at very best, inconclusive. And it will remain so because of the chance for cheating and the skew in the test design. All of which dithers it down :-)D sorry, couldn't help it :) ) from inconclusive to inherently meaningless by design. So that's two tests you have presented as evidence now Ethan (the other being the A/B you talked about a few pages back) that do nothing to further the debate, and in fact, only have the effect of just polluting the waters with waste product.

And every time you ask someone else to present the same class of test to prove themselves right and you wrong, all you're asking for is more pollution, because those kinds of tests are garbage science.

There are no excuses here, Ethan. You really should, in the interest of truth, take those tests down. It's the same reason I have mothballed the idea of my test. No matter how well I design it, doing it by Internet and having to put the test files to the publics hands instead of a controlled environment will completly invalidate that test as well. It's not admitting defeat on either side; it's simply admitting that that particular type of "evidence" is unrelaible and misleading to either side of the debate.

The kind of test you're looking for doesn't exist. This means that we can only go back and forth bickering with no resolution. Which is why this thread should die. I'm tired and dizzy from the circles, aren't you?

G.

Can you PM me the correct answer then?

I don't even care anymore, and if I get 10 submissions per year it's a lot. So here you go:

The quality simply goes down in order of the file name numbers:

File 1 = dithered to 16 bits
File 2 = truncated to 16 bits
File 3 = truncated to 13 bits
File 4 = truncated to 11 bits
File 5 = truncated to 9 bits

--Ethan

You know, if you use a Studer to record your mixes ... It has "auto-dithering" built in.

You probably have no idea how right you are. Not so much the dither, but jitter. Analog tape has huge amounts of jitter, and unlike digital the jitter is not the same for both channels. This is probably why some people report analog tape as sounding wider than digital. Which shows that the conventional wisdom about jitter is wrong too. Usually the jitter believers say you need low jitter to avoid a small sound, when in fact it's the other way around. Time shifts add width, especially if it's not the same for both channels.

--Ethan

I don't even care anymore, and if I get 10 submissions per year it's a lot. So here you go:

The quality simply goes down in order of the file name numbers:

File 1 = dithered to 16 bits
File 2 = truncated to 16 bits
File 3 = truncated to 13 bits
File 4 = truncated to 11 bits
File 5 = truncated to 9 bits

--Ethan

So, I got them right, other than the 11 and 13 bit files were pretty similar to me, which I stated when I gave my answer. (my notepad has those two scratched and rearranged three times) On that test, I thought number one was easily better. So, for me at least, that just made me believe in dither even more. Thanks Ethan!

There is a HUGE DIGFFERENCE between asking if people can hear a difference between dithered and truncated and asking them to ID which is which.
I don't care about which is which. I just want to see two files that are at normal levels, sound different, and are otherwise identical except one is dithered. This is what I've asked for again and again.

How much sound there actually IS TO BE REMOVED and how well of a job the dithering will do in removing it is entrely dependant upon the combination of the nature of original content and the type of dither used to combat it.
Okay, great - please post a pair of files having whatever musical content you deem necessary to best reveal the use of dither.

I's like trying to find a red box sitting on a blue table in a low light situation where only the rods and not the cones in our eyes are working
This is why I'm glad to let you pick the music that best shows dither as audible. Go for it.

If it's not all or nothing, Ethan, then where do you draw the line?
Oh, that's easy! If I can hear the difference - of course! :D

Seriously, not only does it have to be audible, and not "placebo" audible but really audible, it also must make sense. IMO there is no way that any signal 80 dB below the music is audible while the music plays. Which is the very premise of dither.

--Ethan

ethan, no one in the world will make me believe 1st and 2nd files sound exacty equal, man. i was wrong in pointing which is better (i said it was a guess) but they DO sound different, c'mon...

On that test, I thought number one was easily better.

What would you say if I told you I lied earlier, and the order was actually reversed? :eek:

I'm just funnin' ya man. :D

That test is flawed in many ways, not the least of which is you can easily hear the lower bit depths on the fade-outs.

Hopefully Glen will come up with a real test, and we'll put this to bed once and for all.

--Ethan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back