Distant, walkie talkie effect?

Xaipes

I am a newbie cover singer trying to mix my own songs. Do any of you guys know how to get vocals to sound far away with a slightly nasal tone like at 2:26 and 3:39 in this song

Note: (I am only starting out so the only equipment I have is a mic, Adobe Audition, and my computer along with headphones. Thanks in advance! ^_^ )

What you need I am sure is a 'telephone sim' plugin. Might be one in AA (Bobbsy would know) but if you download Reaper that might have one, if not I bet you will find a freebie on't web?

Or, use a parametric EQ to put a peak in the response (around 1-2kHz? But waggle it about) and a guitar distortion sim' to get the 'carbon mic' grunge.

Dave.

Boost 300 to 3K, dump everything else. Pop a compressor on it, and then gently sweep a parametric eq to emphasise the bit unique to your singer. Have a listen to ELO telephone line to hear the result in a less cluttered song.

What you need I am sure is a 'telephone sim' plugin. Might be one in AA (Bobbsy would know) but if you download Reaper that might have one, if not I bet you will find a freebie on't web?

Or, use a parametric EQ to put a peak in the response (around 1-2kHz? But waggle it about) and a guitar distortion sim' to get the 'carbon mic' grunge.

Dave.

Thanks a lot ^_^ will looking up one of those plugins.

---------- Update ----------

Boost 300 to 3K, dump everything else. Pop a compressor on it, and then gently sweep a parametric eq to emphasise the bit unique to your singer. Have a listen to ELO telephone line to hear the result in a less cluttered song.

Thanks for the advice! Will try out using the effects as you said.

Youtube says 'not available in the U.S'. Anyone else getting an error message when they try to play?

Is it for just a short take? Not for singing a hole song?
Then the simplest way to do. Use original. Lend some walkie talkies from someone.

I also can't view your link but...

In Audition, have a play with Effects/Filters and EQ/FFT Filter and try the Telephone Receiver preset.

If that's too much processing, try Effects/Filters and EQ/Parametric EQ and have a go at the "Old time Radio" preset.

If you need a bit more crapulising, try Effects/Amplitude and compression/Hard Limiting and adjust it to put most of your signal into the limiter.

Finally, if you want even more effect, use the Generate Noise to make you some white noise in another track and mix that in the background at a very low level.

Back