The difference between 'TUBE" compressors and Regular compressors?

the maestro

I read an article talking about ways to make your production have real "feeling" to it without really mastering, and the article recommended using a 'Tube' compressor instead of a regular compressor whats the difference? :confused:

So what you're saying is that a tube compressor isn't regular? Would you call it iregular, then? Beyond regular?

Keep in mind there are more classifications or variants of compressor than just "tube" or "non-tube." There's also opto and non-opto. VCA and VCA-less. :D

I'm just kiddin' with ya. Tube comps can be good or bad, depending on which one you're talking about. Whether or not it utilizes tubes has very little to do with the quality of the end result, although it can effect or color the sound in certain ways, depending on how the inividual model is designed/used. So basically, what I'm telling you is that either the artical you read was full of hot air, or you didn't understand it correctly, because it really doesn't make any sense as you quoted it.

Tubes will keep you warm at night. Plus, they're very sexy. That's a lethal combination.

Atterion said:
Sounds like a fetish :)

Sssshhhhhh... :o

Really, it's not sexual...

We're just really good friends...

The kind of really good friends who sleep together from time to time...

And by sleeping together, I don't mean sleeping, if you know what I mean...

I mean we're doin' it...

A lot... :D

Simplified explination:

Tube compressors physically process signals through a vaccum tube. "Regular" compressors will do it through chips and electronic circutry.

The plus side to the tube is, it's a tube, you can't beat the warmth of a tube. However, you risk a little more noise than it's electronic counterpart.

good tubes are good sex! bad tubes are natsy hooker sex...pick you choice...read above thread about how to choose between good tubes :D just jk

mattamatta said:
Tubes blow, and Protools is for the elderly.

There, I said it! Ha ha, nobody can stop me!

Actually, you said it twice, which tells me you weren't kidding like I suspected you might have bean in this thread.

mattamatta said:
Actually you guys aren't quite correct.

Tube amps are for space heating and throwing off cliffs.

And the elderly. Tube amps and protools are for the elderly.

Well, recently a friend of mine said that protools is "for the elderly" and I thought it was hillarious, so I've been saying that things are for the elderly for the last couple days.

But I am always up for tube bashing, as I'm by no means a diehard tube fan, and I've heard just as much crap from tubes as I have from anything else.

I'm not convinced of any inherent superiority in any design or technique. Tubes can be warm, but solid state can be warm... tubes can just as easily by muddy and pooey.

They certainly look cool though, and I like the prospect of swapping tubes for different sounds - much easier than swapping transistors.

LRosario said:
Simplified explination:

Tube compressors physically process signals through a vaccum tube. "Regular" compressors will do it through chips and electronic circutry.

The plus side to the tube is, it's a tube, you can't beat the warmth of a tube. However, you risk a little more noise than it's electronic counterpart.

I hope all that was a joke!

mattamatta said:
I'm not convinced of any inherent superiority in any design or technique. Tubes can be warm, but solid state can be warm... tubes can just as easily by muddy and pooey..

What the hell are you talking about, muddy and pooey are for the elderly! :D
Just kiddin', I totally agree that there is no inherent superiority in either technology also, but my opinion is for the elderly as well.

ez_willis said:
What the hell are you talking about, muddy and pooey are for the elderly! :D
Just kiddin', I totally agree that there is no inherent superiority in either technology also, but my opinion is for the elderly as well.
Here's my opinion for the elderly (as if anyone cares... :o )

It's not the equipment, it's the monkey twisting the knobs that makes it sound great or "warm" or muddy. I've heard they stick tubes in pre amps as a sales gimmick. I can't say the same for compressors, but it seems to me that if you have great ears, no matter what you are using, you can make it sound great...

And that and Depends is for the elderly...

Back