Desolation Row Technique

Klof

About the Bob Dylan song Desolation Row. :guitar:

How they make the vocals stand up so tall with those 2 guitars pretty loud (they are aren't they?)

Do they turn them down when he sings and then up when he doesn't? Is that a common thing to do btw?

As far as I'm concerned in this song his vocals were overdubed. That's something not so common for Dylan. When he's overdubing he finishes the phrases way before the next chord is played if you pay attention... He does that on live playing and recording as well but not so much, it gives such a amazing quality and differenciation to the song imo.

And I believe he didn't record any of the guitars. It really isn't his way of playing, neither he has skills to record such a clear solo guitar through the eleven minutes.

What else can you share about that tune that's relevant. I find it the perfect acoustic story telling song, couldn't get better.

Perhaps this should be in mixing techinques forum... If someone could move (if it's the case).

you could have the worst mic in the world and dylan would still sound like dylan
You could also have the best mic in the world and Dylan would still sound like Dylan. ;) That guy had a voice all his own.

Yeah but he used to record with the most expensive Neumanns just in case... :rolleyes: :D

But I mean the way you can clear hear every word even with his strange pronunciation.

There are albums/musics where his voice is pretty mixed with the instruments and some that you can barely hear an acoustic guitar in the back while he sang his poetry like he's a giant (like One Too Many Mornings or Boots Of Spanish Leather)
But in Desolation Row I feel like theres a lot of information, a loud backing guitar, a loud solo guitar and he still stand tall with his voice :)

Am I looking too much into it? hehe

Yeah. I don't listen to a lot of Dylan, but I know what you're talking about. One of my favorite artists makes it so the vox stand out and you can hear every word. He drops the instruments down when his voice kicks in, and then brings them back up when he's not singing.

Back