Depth in stereo mixes by using surround?

The dry thing shouldn't get a short straw, either. I tune in my country station and the room humidity goes up 20-percent. in older records where we can hardly hear the drums, that is positioning in the MONO sense. Since my hearing is shot I can't put forth Bitches Brew and some Jazz recordings, but didn't that have some good spatial placements ? Don't go listen on the toob, for sure!

I am still sceptical. I can just about see the 'reverb' argument (link to data please) but I cannot se how on earth you can add artificial cues in that way? A 'real space' is a real space. Maybe some impulse technique could work?

Dave.

Skeptical of what? This is not theoretical, nor an argument. Take a microphone and run it in to a mixer or something and put on headphones to listen. Have someone play an instrument. Go back and forth between the source and the other side of the room. Really listen to the balance between direct sound and reflections. Understand what the critical distance is: Critical Distance and Microphone Placement | Shure Technical FAQ. You hear distance by the balance of direct sound vs reflected sound, in addition to relative volume.

I prefer proper stereo techniques in nice rooms to artificial reverbs (including convolutions like you mentioned), but it certainly gets done both ways.

Get this book and study it: Home

Last edited:
". You hear distance by the balance of direct sound vs reflected sound, in addition to relative volume. "

I am not sceptical of that ^ I just do not see how a 'constructed' room ambiance, not related to the room the recording was made in can work?

I understand the 'stereo theory' pretty well and the mechanics of how loudspeakers can (to a limited degree) reproduce an illusion of horizontal positioning. I know of no similar theory that produces a similar illusion in the Z dimension. If you know of such, do tell.

I lived through the complete waste of every bodies time and money that was 'quadraphonics' . If you were around for THAT debacle you might understand where I am coming from!

I shall now go off and ask some people whose opinions I have come to trust over the years.

Dave.

". You hear distance by the balance of direct sound vs reflected sound, in addition to relative volume. "

I am not sceptical of that ^

I didn't mean to get snarky. I read your responses differently than you might have intended, but you kind of shifted the question a little too.

Binaural should produce Z-axis if it's done well. Again, the Streicher book goes in to that and worth a read. Within a two-loudspeaker setup, no I don't think you can convey height information, but I think your brain probably adds it in. Hearing footsteps and speech for example, you'd probably swear you could hear the footsteps lower in height than the voice. There may be some actual time cues the brain uses in that the voice might bounce off the ground and provide direct and indirect sound, while the footsteps originate at the point where the voice reflects, etc. Just my supposition and off the top of my head.

Back