De-esser

Absinthe

Could someone explain what a de-esser is? how it works, should i get one, what do I use it on, etc...
That would be really helpful,
Thanks!

It's essentially a compressor with a built-in sidechained EQ. You'd set the EQ trigger to a frequency range that's generally associated with sibilance, maybe around 4kHz-6kHz and the compressor will clamp down whenever that frequency range goes over a certain threshold. It's mainly used on vocals to tame sibilant peaks from hard C, K, and G kinds of sounds, and S sounds.

What he said...^^^

Of course, if you use a DAW, it's just as simple to edit out the vocal "esses". Yes, it take more time, but you can be very surgical, and make each edit specific to a particular "ess" problem, since not every "ess" sound will be the same or always hit the same frequency with the same force.
An actual de-esser will just act on what it's set at...while you editing, can tailor it to individual problems.

I usually have a 2-3 parametric EQ presets with narrow bandwidth cut, set to my most common "esse" problem areas...then when I need to de-ess, I select the range/length of track I need to correct, apply the preset, slide it to the most effective frequency point, and adjust it's amount of EQ cut.
It sounds like a lot of work...but it's really not...and the de-ess control is much more precise.

Sometimes, all you need to do is select the range/length of audio in the track...and simple lower the level of that sections...no EQ needed.

Which is to say that if you have a compressor with a sidechain filter, or a sidechainable compressor and an EQ, you don't really need a dedicated de-esser.

I've heard of people putting de-esser on drum overheads to tame cymbals or something, but I've never had to try it.

It's essentially a compressor with a built-in sidechained EQ. You'd set the EQ trigger to a frequency range that's generally associated with sibilance, maybe around 4kHz-6kHz and the compressor will clamp down whenever that frequency range goes over a certain threshold. It's mainly used on vocals to tame sibilant peaks from hard C, K, and G kinds of sounds, and S sounds.

Okay so for example i use the TDR nova with permits to compress directly on certain EQ moves that would be considered a de-esser?

You could tweak the Nova as a de-esser to some extent, sure. If you can find SpitFish somewhere, all the better. Still one of the greatest de-esser's I've ever used.

That's the one. I had a demo unit of a $7,000-ish de-esser in here and I picked that plug. The only reason I don't still use it regularly is that my DAW gets sketchy with some 32-bit plugs for some reason. So now, I'm using the de-esser in the Brainworx EQ (bonus - it's mid-side). But to this day, I'm fighting for 64-bit fish.

Back