Hey guys!

I'm in the mixing stage of a couple of projects
that I,m working on and I seem to be missing something
when it comes to creating the stereo effect. What
Ive been doing thusfar is simply panning a track
to a certain place in the stereo field after I have
balanced the volumes out with the faders then
Ive just for the most part began experimenting
with the use of effects like delay and reverb.

Here are my questions.

Should I be trying to create a stereo image with
each component of the mix?

If so, should I have 2 copies of each track panned
to the opposite side of the stereo field? Ex:
Rythem guitar panned at 32 and same Rythem
guitar panned at 96 with a slight delay ( I am
mixing in my software App panning would be
0 hard left 64 center 127 hard right)

Are bass instruments always panned center?
Suppose Ive got 2 Bass guitars that I want to
layer, do I put them center both, do i delay them?

When applying effects do we want the dry signal
panned opposite of the wet one? If so , when and
on what instruments?

I know that there are not suppose to be any rules
when it comes to these issues ,but maybe Im seeking
some good starting points or suggestions on how
to determine what a song needs in regards to mixing.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions
on this topic or any portion that anybody wants
to address.

I will be posting my Mp3's at the Mp3 clinic for
you guys to evaluate afterwards. Thanks for the
help!!!

Ben

Well... the way I approach imaging in a mix is to imagine how I want the band to appear in front of me. The "stage" is the 3 dimensional sound field between the 2 monitors and I decide a) where I want the musicians to "sit", and b) the type of space the musicians are playing in (room, hall, closet, etc!)

These decisions dictate the space illusion you need to create with your tracks. You have several tools to place the tracks in that 3-D space - EQ: which controls the height (bass = low, treble = high), Reverb: which controls the depth (more 'verb = more distance, less = musician is closer), and Panning: to control the width (left to right placement).

It takes a lot of work to coordinate all these elements, which is one reason mixing takes so long! But once done, you'll have a very effective mix with a clearly defined sense of space and image.

Hope this helps...

Bruce

RUN to the nearest bookstore and get David Gibson's "The Art of Mixing".......

There are no rules to any of this stuff. One of my favorite recordings is mixed all MONO, that right MONO. It still sounds fantastic.

Mono definitely can sound fantastic...as a matter of fact, if your stereo mix doesnt sound as good in mon, then you dont have a good mix.....

Gidge, thats not entirely true. The reason why people say to check your mixes in mono is so it will be compatable with all the systems out there (mostly)...If one has a great mix in stereo, but it collapses in mono, I say screw it..this is 2001, people should have stereo systems now, if not, (explitive) em!!

lol ametth. I think you need to up your medication.

there are no rules though. recently i was mixxing, took and copied the snare track, panned one left the other right, slapped a verb down on one side, teaked the panning till it appeared center... hey cool!

My philosophy on panning is to try a litle bit of everything, but don't do anything too annoying. :D

-jhe

ametth said:
Gidge, thats not entirely true. The reason why people say to check your mixes in mono is so it will be compatable with all the systems out there (mostly)...

Also to check for phase problems it's good to sum to mono to check.

If one has a great mix in stereo, but it collapses in mono, I say screw it..this is 2001, people should have stereo systems now, if not, (explitive) em!!

Agreed !! surround is right around the coner.
I also say enough with this "sounding good in mono"
unless you are mixing for T.V. it's worthless.

Guitars panned hrad left and right might sound crap in mono but sound good in Stereo. People do it all the time

what about the poor little guy that plopped down $20 for your CD and throws it in his little boom box....Im sorry but I have to disagree.....

Back