Cool interview with Joe Carrell about mixing "IN THE BOX"

TAE

All you have is now
For all of ya's that are doing it all in a box...here's a nice interview on how Joe does his thing...

It's a shame that I am a so awful english listener. I feel that I lose a lot for not being able to watch such videos. Actually I can watch but since I won't understand too much there is not a point... what a shame... what a shame...

:p

It's a shame that I am a so awful english listener. I feel that I lose a lot for not being able to watch such videos. Actually I can watch but since I won't understand too much there is not a point... what a shame... what a shame...

:p
This is why I would like it if everyone put their location in their details.

Alan.

And what it would change in my case that others know from where I am?

:confused:

It's just that if we know people are not from English speaking countries then we understand that the translation is not always correct. Most on this site jsut assume that everyone is in the USA, which is not true, I'm not for a start.

Alan.

It's just that if we know people are not from English speaking countries then we understand that the translation is not always correct. Most on this site jsut assume that everyone is in the USA, which is not true, I'm not for a start.

Alan.

I still don't see your point... Even if you know that I am not from USA it won't change anything. What I mean is that others know that I am a foreigner won't enhance my own ability of understand what they say. I am not complaining at all. Just ranting about the fact that I am a bad english listener and that it limits me a lot.

;)

PS: What really would be awesome for foreigners is if the videos had an english caption. I mean a REAL caption (not that YT crap stuff).

I still don't see your point...

For the board, and how many of us would respond to non English speakers it makes a difference. We would try and use less slang, be more clear on our responses, maybe more detailed. But hey, if you don't see value in it, don't add it. It really is for you more than for anyone else.

Doesn't really matter to me. I mean both ways. It wouldn't make a difference to me if someone is a "foreigner" or not. Seeing that someone is from Lithuania or Japan would not make me less friendly.
OTOH, I can usually spot a 14 year old with grammar vs someone to whom English is not their first language via how they type.

Just forget I said anything :facepalm:

For the board, and how many of us would respond to non English speakers it makes a difference. We would try and use less slang, be more clear on our responses, maybe more detailed. But hey, if you don't see value in it, don't add it. It really is for you more than for anyone else.
I'm totally with Witz and DM on this one. For years on this board, I've seen quite a number of people for whom English is not their primary language treated pretty poorly at times or misunderstood which has then led to poor treatment and accusations of trolling etc.
On a daily basis I meet up with many people for whom English is not their primary language and that influences how I communicate. I'm not going to talk to someone from Lithuania in their mid 40s who has only been in England for three years the same way I'd talk to a teenager with rap sensibilities that was born here and has never left the country. There are jokes I won't tell or phrases I won't use.
And so it follows on the board. If we know where someone is based, there's a good chance that some people will tune their approach to that person because where they are based may be where they also come from. Unless X from Estonia lets us know they're actually not from Estonia but just living there, I will assume they're from Estonia and communicate in a simpler, clearer manner.
I've been following the dialogue with MusicWater and while it's true that they came out with some very confusing stuff, I found that if you considered that English wasn't their primary language, they were actually easier to understand.
I've just got back from some time in Holland, a country where virtually everyone speaks English {In 26 years of going there, I've never met a Dutch person that didn't speak English} yet, I still had to tune my communication to their way of understanding. I had a good laugh trying to draw words like "barrier", "underground", "bollard" and "ticket machine" from the receptionist of our apartment because she couldn't explain what she meant because they're not exactly everyday words.
I take the approach that the responsibility is mine to help someone understand what I mean as well as me trying to catch what they mean.

Even if you know that I am not from USA it won't change anything. What I mean is that others know that I am a foreigner won't enhance my own ability of understand what they say.
Yes, but Yan, it might help if, for example, someone posted the interview video and said something like "for those of you that don't have English as your main language, you might have to watch this a couple of times....." or even offer to explain any bits you might find hard to understand.
OK, it might not but it might.
Some cleaners from Brazil told me a couple of years back that they never had a problem understanding what I said but every other English person they could never understand. I wasn't surprised. In general, in England, the English tend to feel that every foreigner has to make the effort to be understood rather than take the view that "I will help this person." I find that by being proactive about helping, it makes a win win situation all round.
Witz is right. People should state where they're from {to be fair, some do}.
That's the global village for you !

Oh, I see now. I didn't get the witzendoz point because I never complained about how YOU guys communicate. Maybe I wasn't too clear but in my first post I was referring exclusively to the VIDEO. I will try to explain better...

I said that I am a bad english LISTENER and not a bad reader. I do read OK. I can understand everything you guys write. I rarely have a problem with it in a forum. By the other hand I don't have my EARS too much well trained so it is hard to me to get everything that is said specially when the speaker talks too fast. For instances, I can watch normally a movie spoken in english if it has captions. But if I depend only on hear what the characters say probably I won't get more than 40% of what is said.

Nonetheless I imagine that for you english native speakers that never had to listen someone else talking in a different language is hard to know how it may be complicated to us -- non english native speakers -- that have to deal with a world where mostly of tutorial videos are spoken in english. It is really HARD!

I don't know if I made myself clear now...

Anyway, it doesn't matter too much at all. I didn't intend to start a situation, it was just a harmless comment I made and that turned into this funny argue! LoL!

:D

Anyway, it doesn't matter too much at all. I didn't intend to start a situation, it was just a harmless comment I made and that turned into this funny argue! LoL!

:D

For this board, this is a discussion, not an argument. :cool:

OK, profile updated!

Now, an explanation that may be relevant. Normally I put my origin in my profile. However, some time ago I was treated with prejudice just because this. There is a forum called MyLesPaul (that now I have left for good) that I was trolled because I am from Brasil (and yes, I always will write Brasil with "s" because it is how it is written here -- LoL). I don't know why but some people there started to troll me for free using some media (international press) stuff to throw against me as if I would the culprit for the things or if someone should be punished just because what happens in your country. Not exactly the same thing, but it is like you start calling an arab forum member a terrorist, making stupid jokes about this or attacking this person just because there are some idiot arabs that does that. I don't know but from my point of view you cannot judge an entire country because a few.

Obviously no one has called me a terrorist because there is not brazilian terrorists (well, maybe there is). But I found myself in a position where those guys started to use the 'third world' term in an offensive way in a straight attempt to say that South American people are inferior, ignorants, etc. Of course those people are the real ignorants because if they already had came here in Brasil they would know that the image they have about my country is completely wrong. We are a rich, educated and friendly place. Brasil is a great destination for tourism, work and living. I don't know a single foreigner that has came here and haven't became enchanted.

The case is that even knowing all of this is hard to not get offended and keep upright when a group of people comes together to attack you. Specially because when the main reason is the prejudice there is not ANY argument that you can use to fight back because those people do not use reason and are not fair.

Anyway, that's why I stopped to say from where I am. It was a pathetic attempt of protect myself. I hope you guys understand what I mean.

:)

Have some great friends that were missionaries in Argentina until recently when they transferred to El Salvador. Learned a lot about South American culture and economy from them. Argentina is not just about cattle production, just like Brazil is not just about coffee and soy beans...

Anyway, that's why I stopped to say from where I am. It was a pathetic attempt of protect myself. I hope you guys understand what I mean.

:)

Just stay out of the cave, you won't get much if any of that here. Now, if you talk about foam and its ability for sound treatment, then that is a different issue.

Back