Consistancy and workflow

I'll start with my usual disclaimers:
I apologize if this is too newb-y, let me know if we should relocate this thread.
My band is recording our 1st self-produced, individually multi-tracked, full length album. Until now we've been recording "live", mixing each tune individually, then tossing them together to make Demos, etc.

My question is how to maintain mixing consistency across 12-15 tunes that are recorded over the span of a year?
We've finished the initial tracking of the 1st tune, and we're taking a pretty "studio" approach. Which is to say we have 2 mics on the guitar and 5 takes (that we're keeping), parallel mixing in a few places, a couple of solos still to be recorded, etc.
Currently the tune has approx. 30 tracks, 6-8 buses, dozens of EQ's and Comps, some pre's, verbs, etc.
Is there an efficient, or recommended method for maintaining consistency between the tunes? I've gone back and exported all of my plugin settings so I can import them into new tunes/tracks as I go.

We've started tracking the 2nd tune but I'm hesitant to start mixing because I don't want to dig any holes for myself. I'm not finished mixing the 1st tune, I'm nervous to make changes to the 1st tune that will need to be mimicked in every subsequent mix.
I've considered importing new tracks into one master session file, but that feels like it would create countless issues.
I feel like mixing each tune individually will result in a disjointed album.

I won't ramble on. I appreciate any thought y'all may have on the topic.
Thanks,
-jaimie

I've gone back and exported all of my plugin settings so I can import them into new tunes/tracks as I go.

I'm not finished mixing the 1st tune, I'm nervous to make changes to the 1st tune that will need to be mimicked in every subsequent mix.

Mmm...why would you want to use the same plugin settings on every song?
I mean...if every song had the exact same style/instrumentation...but otherwise, each song should have some individual personality.
Consistency doesn't mean that they should all sound the same.

If it's the same set of players....just let it all happen during tracking.
IOW....if you need "6-8 buses, dozens of EQ's and Comps, some pre's, verbs, etc." just to get some sort of decent sounding mix, you've probably lost it during tracking
I mean...if the group of players were to play the songs live...wouldn't they have some consistency without the "6-8 buses, dozens of EQ's and Comps, some pre's, verbs, etc. "

I'm not saying don't apply all that processing...just saying that the consistency should already be there from the tracking stage, and then the mixing is just to sweeten it.

Also...don't mix each song as soon as it's tracked.
Track them all...then do the mixing.
I would first get a rough, stripped down pre-mix of all the songs after they are all tracked...then sit back after a good break of a week or so, and listen to what you have, and you should be able to hear the areas that need work, and what should be left alone.
It will be easier to get the consistency that way...than if you mix each one as soon as it's tracked.

Also...don't mix each song as soon as it's tracked.

I would think this is maybe the biggest factor outside of the tracking stage. Even the most renowned mix engineers go through stages and have periods where they do things like X, and it results in a particular sound, and then, later, like Y, and it might sound completely different.

I would think your tracking methods (equipment, mics, room, close time period for performing them all) are the first priority, followed by mixing them in the same room in not too long of a stretch.

Just my opinion. Most responses here will be vastly diff

Yeah, my goal is for the album to sound like one album that was created in one place at one time, not sound like an amalgamation of random recordings. That's the only reason I ask. I'm nervous to get a year into the project and have every tune sound differently.
I'm not overly effecting anything, mostly high/low pass filters and compressors. But my thought was, if I record in the same room with the same gear, then EQ and comp the same, it should sound pretty similar. I still planned to tweak each track as necessary

On my last CD, I recoded the songs over a period of about 4 years. When I was ready to make a CD out of those songs, I picked the one song I considered to be 'Golden". A term we use in the industry I work in. It is the standard for what I want. I exported the channel settings for each track on that song and used them on all the other songs. I had to make tweaks and adjustments, but overall, they fit and made all the songs sound like they were recorded the same day. Well, within reason, anyway.

Yeah, my goal is for the album to sound like one album that was created in one place at one time, not sound like an amalgamation of random recordings. That's the only reason I ask. I'm nervous to get a year into the project and have every tune sound differently.
I'm not overly effecting anything, mostly high/low pass filters and compressors. But my thought was, if I record in the same room with the same gear, then EQ and comp the same, it should sound pretty similar. I still planned to tweak each track as necessary

If you record in the same space...same players...same general approach to how you get your tracking done...and if the songs are in a similar style, even if not the same sounding....you will be OK.

I've been tracking and pre-mixing a bunch of songs for the last couple of years...and not a single one has been officially "mixed".
I plan to mix them pretty much one after the other once I am ready...with just short breaks in-between them, like one a day or two.
That way the mixing process will be one flowing project.

Also...keep in mind that after mixing, you would use the mastering stage to make slight level and tonal adjustments, which will also help getting the whole album to gel. This is one thing good mastering engineers will do no matter what, they are looking at it as a complete album project, not just one song at a time.

Once you mix them all go back and remix the first two or three. Then all the habits and tricks you developed along the way will apply more evenly. Then listen to them all in one sitting and compare, then go back and tweak certain mixes to fit better with the others. When I compare mixes I don't just play them through, I'll jump around and listen to small clips, for example vocal section vs. vocal section or lead vs. lead, and listen to the differences.

I worked on a project where the artist would record a single song at a time, this was then offered as a download only. This went on for 2 to 3 years and in the end we had about 10 songs. I suggested that he should put it out as a CD to sell at gigs as people tend to buy spontaneously at gigs but forget to download later (when they sober up).

As the songs were recorded over time, with 4 different drummers (and kits), 3 different bass players, 4 different guitar players and my ever changing favourite setups, I suggested that I give him the unmastered mixes (I mastered the singles) and we send the mixes off to a good mastering engineer and see if they can meld it into an album. When it came back it certainly sounded like an album recorded and mixed as a single project.

So the bottom line is, as long as the mixes are not too extremely different sound wise, a good mastering engineer will more than likely pull it together for you.

P.S sorry mastering guys out there, I know things should not be fixed in the mastering LOL.

Alan.

P.S sorry mastering guys out there, I know things should not be fixed in the mastering LOL.
Ah - But this is one of the primary processes - to take a collection of individual mixes and try to 'massage' them into a cohesive final product.

Any mastering engineer who would need such an apology signed up for the wrong job. :cool:

Ah - But this is one of the primary processes - to take a collection of individual mixes and try to 'massage' them into a cohesive final product.

Any mastering engineer who would need such an apology signed up for the wrong job. :cool:

No kidding. Making a bunch of mixes work together is the fun part, the reward that makes the tedium of placing markers and such worth the effort.

Back