Connecting Mixer To Computer

shane_sow

Hi,
I need some help connecting a mixer to my computer for recording use, using the following tools:

PC w/ SoundBlaster Live 5.1
Behringer UB1202 Mixer
Logitech Speakers (not for recording)
Fender Lead
Microphone Lead
Peavy Microphone (dynamic)
Adaptors - (1/4"-1/8"), (1/8"-1/4")
Adobe Audition 1.5

Now, Using the fender Lead and a 1/4-1/8" adaptor, I plug the Mixer Into the line-in on my sound card (being new to all this, im taking it line-in is the port my speakers were plugged into). I plug the lead into the "Main Line-Out, Right Channel" (im not sure to do left or right).

Then I plug my Logitech Speakers into the Headphone slot on the mixer using a 1/8-1/4" adaptor.

After this I plug the Peavy Mic into Channel 1 on the Mixer, using the Mic Lead.

As a result I get the following:
1. Every sound the Mic Picks up comes out the Speakers
2. Every sound played out of my computer only plays when "1 digital output only" is unselected in the Advanced Volume menu in windows, even then the computers levels must be on full for me to here anything. Changing the volumes on the mixer doesnt fix this.
3. Adobe Audition won't record anything going through the mixer.

Id like it so my mixer can, Play sound coming from my computer, Record into Adobe Audition, Stay in the Line-In input on my computer, without me having to change any cords.

ANY help is GREATLY appreciated

See comments below.

shane_sow said:
Hi,
I need some help connecting a mixer to my computer for recording use, using the following tools:

PC w/ SoundBlaster Live 5.1
Behringer UB1202 Mixer
Logitech Speakers (not for recording)
Fender Lead
Microphone Lead
Peavy Microphone (dynamic)
Adaptors - (1/4"-1/8"), (1/8"-1/4")
Adobe Audition 1.5

Now, Using the fender Lead and a 1/4-1/8" adaptor, I plug the Mixer Into the line-in on my sound card (being new to all this, im taking it line-in is the port my speakers were plugged into).

Your computer speakers should be plugged into your sound card's line out. Line In is for input, Line Out is for output. Computer -> Speakers is output.

I plug the lead into the "Main Line-Out, Right Channel" (im not sure to do left or right).

By doing this you are only getting one channel (i.e., the right one). I am not familiar with your mixer, but if the Main Outs have two connections (i.e., Left and Right) then both of them should be connected to your sound card's Line In. To do this you will probably need a Y cable - with mono connections on the branches and a stereo, 1/8" connection on the trunk.

Then I plug my Logitech Speakers into the Headphone slot on the mixer using a 1/8-1/4" adaptor.

If your mixer has Control Room out connections, that is where I would connect your speakers. Otherwise, use your sound card's Line Out. Keep the headphone jack for headphones. (I don't think they put out a line level signal anyway.) When recording you will need to turn off/down your speakers and monitor through headphones.

After this I plug the Peavy Mic into Channel 1 on the Mixer, using the Mic Lead.

As a result I get the following:
1. Every sound the Mic Picks up comes out the Speakers
2. Every sound played out of my computer only plays when "1 digital output only" is unselected in the Advanced Volume menu in windows, even then the computers levels must be on full for me to here anything. Changing the volumes on the mixer doesnt fix this.
3. Adobe Audition won't record anything going through the mixer.

Id like it so my mixer can, Play sound coming from my computer, Record into Adobe Audition, Stay in the Line-In input on my computer, without me having to change any cords.

ANY help is GREATLY appreciated

Hey,
Thankyou so much for your help.

Unfortunatley I have not solved my issue, this is because I cant find the damn line-in input on my sound card. I did a test, by recording while unplugging the mixer from my soundcard and plugging it into different inputs in the soundcard, the only time it picked up was when I said "check pink" but the pink input is the mic input.

Im going to go down today and pick up some Y cables (2 mono to 1 stereo).

I know my soundcard does have Line In, (after checking specs) but I cant find it, I'm using a Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1.

Thanks for previous and future posts

Back