Compensation through Equilization

prometheuswire

I just record a demo for the first time at home and have a couple questions for the mixdown.
I recorded with all Cardiod mikes and as a consequence (frequency response) am missing a lot of "highs". Should I try to compensate this by equilization? If so what type of filter (band pass, high pass?) with what cutoffs?

I mixed the drums through a mixer into my computer. I am missing a lot of tom sound. Anything I can do there (equilization)?

Also should I try to do this through the mastering (by someone else) or in mixdown?

Thanks
Courtney

It is really tough to fix things like this after it has been tracked. I do think you could add some highs but that could also add noise. As far as what exactly you need to use, I dunno.

prometheuswire said:
I just record a demo for the first time at home and have a couple questions for the mixdown.
I recorded with all Cardiod mikes and as a consequence (frequency response) am missing a lot of "highs". Should I try to compensate this by equilization? If so what type of filter (band pass, high pass?) with what cutoffs?
<<Try reducing first befor boosting. Broad-band peak/dip bell curve filters or shelving filters for general tone shaping, moderate-to-narrow bell to remove sharper trouble spots.>>
I mixed the drums through a mixer into my computer. I am missing a lot of tom sound. Anything I can do there (equilization)?
<<Maybe not.(?) How about riding the track volume at those points?
Also should I try to do this through the mastering (by someone else) or in mixdown?
<<As you progress from tracking, to mixing, to fixing it in the two-track, at each step your options and chance for success go down, and the amount of work go up -in a big way.:eek: Wayne >>
Thanks
Courtney

Back