Close Miking & high Pass

Um, okay, so anyway...

Sometimes I high pass things but I'm finding lately that instead I like to do a big broad low shelf cut on many things, especially vocals.

I am wondering when you do close miking, where does your high pass end up at?

I have mine at around 250 -275 at around .5Q. I feel it is too much. I know it depends on the voice, but just trying to see what other people keep theirs at usually.

Thank you

You don't need to worry about the high pass when you're close miking. It's a no-brainer - you just highpass in the vicinity of the lowest note you're singing - you don't need any of that shit below that. The real issue is what *else* you cut when you close-mic, cuz close-miking vocals brings out the low mids and tends to make the vocal sound kinda muddy. And that'll be somewhere in the 150-350 Hz range usually, but it depends on your voice and your mic and your room and exactly how close you were to the mic and what else is going on in the mix. I don't go as wide as .5, but maybe you sing darker than me.

I don't make it a rule to high pass, but if I have to apply EQ to a vocal track (to get rid of honk, squawk or screech) I usually hi pass just because it's there in front of me. I'm singing 20 to 30cms from the mike, so proximity effect is not a concern, but high pass does clear up some of the rubbish that finds its way down there.

Back