CLA PLUG - the blurb says it all (why not to buy)

rayc

retroreprobate
I've emboldened the sections that seem to contradict other sections in the blurb.
It seems aimed at those folks who want one button mastering.
CLA Vocals Plugin | Waves
CLA Vocals
Native
SoundGrid
Regular $150
On Sale $49
BUY NOW
Chris Lord-Alge on CLA Vocals: “The most important part of any song is the vocals. The CLA Vocals plugin makes this part of mixing an absolute joy. I have taken the very best settings which I use in my everyday mixes and crafted them into this chain. It works great on all styles of singers and, best of all, they will want that sound every time! You also get three flavors of the top six effects you need: the right amount of bass, treble, compression, reverb, delay, and chorusing/doubling.”

All-in-one multi-effect vocal plugin Created in collaboration with Grammy®-winning mixing engineer Chris Lord-Alge CLA's radio-ready rock sound – instantly!

I've used it. The marketing department oversimplified it. Basically it's a chain with compression, EQ, doubling, delay and reverb. Each has three different settings and a fader to adjust the amount.

The blurb makes it sound like it just does one sound, but it's the best sound. What itactually does is not give you enough rope to hang yourself with, while still giving you enough options to be creative in your use of it.

You can get the CLA Vocal Plug from Audio Deluxe for only $43.

Of the Waves comes, have the Puig Analog Legends suite....which has presets, but you're not locked into what someone picked for you for settings, which I kinda prefer....though I do have the Waves "One Knob Louder" plug which they were like giving away last year, but haven't really used it on anything.

I do want to get the CLA Classic Compressors bundle at some point (which is only $160 at Audio Deluxe)....but I like the Puig ones for now, and also have other comp options in my DAW, so not in any hurry.

There is nothing wrong with these style of plugins.

To me things like this are similar to oversimplified algorithmic reverbs, transient designers, the 1176, waves one knob stuff, ez mix...

They are all great tools and none of them are totally preset based (meaning you can't tweak presets at all) and they are all sound good if you feed them the right stuff. EZ mix for example will not take a crappy source recording and make it good with any of the presets.

There is nothing wrong with these style of plugins.

To me things like this are similar to oversimplified algorithmic reverbs, transient designers, the 1176, waves one knob stuff, ez mix...

They are all great tools and none of them are totally preset based (meaning you can't tweak presets at all) and they are all sound good if you feed them the right stuff. EZ mix for example will not take a crappy source recording and make it good with any of the presets.

Good point.

I myself would love to combine the 5 or so plugins that I use regularly. I could just pull up one insert then go to town.

Oh wait, I have templates that do that. I love Cubase :)

Sorry for the thread jack...

I setup cubase with a template that has all my go to processors for things. For drums it's SSL clones, guitars it's just an eq, vocals are comp and send to delay and verb.

Anything above that gets added manually but it's much better for me to have that stuff ready to roll.

I have the CLA stuff but find the Unplugged thing sort of redundant. The FX section is alright but kind of useless when you only want one of the effects in the plug. Kind of a hog.

The CLA plugins in itself isn't very useful for me, but they are cool if you just want to add a little more punch to those instruments that's already produced. I usually add them on the final chain of the bass, and sometimes on the kick drum on modern metal style

Most of the time, with all of the name-guy plugins, I will use a different compressor and eq and just use them for the effects. It's just easier than setting up a delay and reverb and doubler when the plugin basically has the effects I want.

It's just quicker and easier and it might save processing power. (I have no proof of that, but it could) It does save insert slots.

I am a HUGE fan of the cla artist series plug ins.

How I use them is I usually put a high pass filter before the plug, and eq after it. It gets you in the ballpark, and then I do some fine tuning.

One thing they mention, but don't really talk about much is that each plugin has its own eq, even when there is no processing...

One very overlooked aspect of the plugs are the reverbs. Sometimes I send sounds to it JUST for the verb and no other processing.

Back