Chorus effect to a mix

Jack Real

Hi

I want to apply a chorus/delay effect on my mix. For the delay, I know it should be set according to the tempo of the song but for the chorus, do we have guidelines? The effect will be applied to the lead vocal, the 2 chorus vocals and the accoustic guitar. On the keyboards, I will route the piano, the flute and the wave lead to a separate effect patch on the keyboard. Should that patch on the keyboard matches the one I will apply to the vocals and guitar ? Should I adjust the chorus according to the main instrument of the song (the guitar) or to the lead vocal ? Are the chorus parameters related somehow to the tempo of the song or do we adjust those parameters by ear only ?

The chorus/effect will be applied together because the other effect channel is used for the reverb so what I'm looking for is advices to adjust the effect patch that goes to the whole mix.

Thanks,

Jack Real.

well, use your ears in the first place... I don't think there are any standard settings. I'm not sure what your plan is, your post is kinda confusing, but I guess you want to apply chorus on your vocals and acoustic guitar.

I know this is a taste thing, but be carefull with chorus on guitars. If you really want to use them, do it subtile. If you want more space in the guitars, try doubling them or adding small parts. I can't help it, but especially chorus on clean guitars sound very amateuristic to me. Don't forget chorus is a detuning effect...

scottboyher wrote : Don't apply the chorus and delay to the whole mix.

Blue Bear Sound wrote : Why would you want to chorus a whole mix??????

Hi

Can you tell me why ? I have 2 channel effect on my mixer and 1 is used for the reverb so what is the purpose of the second one ? Is there an effect that you can apply to the whole mix of should I just apply the chorus/delay to some instruments and vocals ? I chosed to record the voice totally dry so now, after a first pass of compression and little reverb, I want to apply a chorus/delay effect to the voices at the mix. I thought it would give more unity to the mix if I applied the same chorus/delay effect to the guitar and keyboards instruments. For example, the sound of the piano, flute and wave lead on the keyboard all have personalized chorus set-up when selected individually (factory setting). Would it be a good practice if all the instruments and the voices had the same chorus setting ?

Note: Even if the same effect is applied to all the instruments, I can select the amount of effect that is applied to each instrument.

Thanks,

Jack Real.

I am not trying to be a prick :D but why do you want to add chorus to everything? Are you adding it just because you can?

You can certainly experiment -- but generally, effects on an entire mix are not, er... effective!

Typically you would apply the effects you want on one or more individual tracks.

And of course, you only use effects as needed for, er... effect! You don't use them just because you have them!!

Good advice from Bear. Chorus is a pretty limited effect and I rarely use it on anything. Stick with reverb and delays unless you are going for a very artificial sound. Sometimes a slight touch of chorus or flanger can help add a little edge, sparkle or stereo feel to a sound but use it very sparingly. Most importantly if you don't need it don't use it.

I would certainly reccomend that you not throw chorus or delay on entire mix. Both chorus and delay are used to make something sound thicker and standout. Doing this to an entire mix defeats this purpose.

An effect commonly used on entire mixes is reverb. We often throw it down as a stereo aux on instruments, but often times people mastering albums add just a touch of verb to entire mix. It just makes things sound more complete sometimes.

/Hope I'm not being to obvious here

Hi

Thanks for the advices. Yesterday, I was working on the keyboard tracks and it's true that applying chorus/delay to all the instruments is not good. I use the first effect patch of the keyboard for the drum so I have plate reverb on that one. When I play the drum with all the other instruments dry (piano, flute, bass and wave lead), it sounds pretty good. Then, I tried to apply chorus/delay from the second effect patch to all the instruments (except the drum) and everything became flossy and even the drum was not good anymore. The wave lead will need some chorus and delay but the bass, piano and flute must stay dry. So I guess we only apply effect when it's needed (like they say, if it's not broken, why fix it ?).

Thanks,

Jack Real.

Back