Bouncing Individual Drums from Studio Drummer

AshX

I've been trying to figure out how to correctly route the separate instruments in Studio Drummer to mono tracks for the individual drums and stereo tracks for the overheads so I can send them off to be mixed but for the life of me, I cannot figure it out. It's extremely easy with Battery 4 but for some reason, Kontakt is proving to be very difficult. I'm running Pro Tools 11.

Most drum suites let you set up external outputs per track.
If you can set each track's output (within the plugin) to a different Protools bus, then you can set up PT audio tracks with those buses set as inputs, record-arm them all, and record your drums to audio tracks in real time.

From there you'd just bounce the individual waves as normal.

I get the tracks automatically in SSD4 as long as I click "yes" when insert the VST... however I still have to go and route the drums to the tracks that have been created, via the mixer. Manually. They all start as a stereo mix on 1/2 by default. That's so I can decide, I only need a stereo track for the toms on this tune etc. etc.

In Addictive the tracks were created and the routing done automatically, but I still had to go and turn each individual track on, again at the mixer, with the default being that they were routed to a stereo bus again.

It'll be something like that, somewhere..

I'm still having the same problem. I have literally tried everything. To try and sum up what I think is going on, I'll compare Studio Drummer to NI's Battery 4 program. In Battery, as seen here it's extremely easy to route individual drums out for mixing to a new track. In Studio Drummer, no matter how many new stereo or mono tracks I create within the software plugin, none of them become available in the Kontakt 5 drop down menu when selecting a new audio track input in Pro Tools. I honestly do not understand why they have made this so difficult when every other drum program does this intuitively. I assume they want us to mix within the plugin? That's great and all, but not everyone has Studio Drummer and it's nice to be able to have more freedom when mixing.

No matter how many new tracks I create, how many times I reboot Pro Tools and the session, I still see the same input screen. Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 2.28.52 PM.png

At best I get one of the overheads. No close mics. Nothing that doesn't sound like you're hearing a drum set down a long corridor. I've tried changing the output from St. 1 (the designated stereo track/master track for all the drums) and it doesn't help. No idea what to do here.

Sorry for the ignorance here but give me a little more info, if you could.
I don't know what contact is and had assumed that Studio drummer was just a plugin instrument like SSD or Addictive drums.
Is it not?

If Kontact is some kind of host for the drum plugin then you want to look for a way to send your kick to kontact aux 1 R, snare to Kontact aux 2, etc

Then in PT you can set those channels as the inputs for a range of separate audio tracks, like your picture shows.

This seems to cover the output routing side of things.

Dunno if this helps or not man, but here goes my little brain fart...lol...

Ok, open a blank project, insert Kontakt....you'll need to count the outputs you need (kick, oh, snare, etc), & account for mono or stereo...

At the top of the screen in Kontakt, click "output":

Then, you'll need to delete the ouputs you already have, & replace them with new outs:

You'll have to do this twice, so on the second time, un-tick the checkbox to delete the already existing outputs/channels:

I'd go ahead & name the outputs/channels in Kontakt to save confusion (kick, snare, hh, etc)...

Load Studio Drummer....Then in the mixer section, you'll have to set each individual mixer channel to the output you want in Kontakt, by clicking the "Settings" tab on the left, then selecting the channel/output you want to assign that mixer channel to in Kontakt's outputs:

FWIW, I haven't figured out how to route the reverb channel to it's own output, & have no idea how to set up the actual tracks in Pro Tools (I use Reaper), but this should help you, I hope...If you're able to set up the actual tracks in Pro Tools, again, maybe this will help you dude...

Myself, I find Kontakt really frustrating & ass-backwards to use compared to other vsti's like Superior Drummer, but maybe it's just me....

Hope this helps, & good luck!!!!

I tried that minerman, except I could only get it to work with stereo using the link that Steenamaroo provided. I assumed it was because you can choose between stereo or mono versions of the plugin so it only was compatible with stereo tracks both in the output within Kontakt and the Pro Tools tracks themselves. For the first time the option to select each individual track within Kontakt as an input for an audio track was available - I thought I had the problem solved - record enabled everything. However, despite the fact that each close mic drum and overhead mic had its own individual track within Kontakt and in Pro Tools part of the hi-hat showed up in the snare, the toms in the hi-hat, etc. etc. I'm getting the feeling that everything I'm doing is making it way worse.

I don't know how Studio Drummer works but it doesn't seem logical at all. Does Native Instruments assume that everyone will be programming and mixing within Kontakt for drums? That seems really presumptuous and I cannot find ANYTHING online. You guys have been the most helpful from everything I've looked for. I don't know if the issue is that I'm trying to route this after the fact or what, but from what you all have told me about other drum software programs this is usually really straightforward.

The problem when I try to make mono outputs in Kontakt is that you won't be able to hear them. The default output is a Stereo 1 output which I assume is the combination of all the close mics and overheads - essentially the master? But - everything is set as a default to 'Master' which is apparently different?

If there is a hell its name is Native Instruments in Pro Tools 11.

Edit: Found this post from Avid forums. Same. Freaking. Problem.

Last edited:
I think the reason you're getting bleed from the toms/cymbals/etc in the hh, is you need to turn the bleed off on each kit piece in the "kit" section of the GUI...

I do know you need to leave the first stereo output (that's there in the default Kontakt plug-in) there, because the master fader in Studio Drummer's mixer has to go out there, but you need to make sure the physical outputs (the channels in Kontakt itself) have the right plug-in pins connected for the right channels in Pro-Tools. It's pretty tedious man, I do admit, but it can be done with some patience & trial/error...

Look at my 3rd screenshot in my last post, you'll see a drop-down menu when you create & activate the Kontakt output channels...for a mono track, you only have one physical output to select (see my screenshot), & in the stereo outs, you have 2...You'll have to remember (or write down) which pins are connected....

In this screenshot, I've got the master/stereo out from Studio Drummer's mixer going to this out in Kontakt (which is going to 1/2 in my daw's tracks that Reaper created, but in Kontakt, this is channel 12 or 13):

If you'll look, you'll notice none of my other channels/outputs have numbers, you actually have to physically assign them like this:

In the last screenshot here, click on the button I've got numbered "1" first, then the dialog box will appear....When you click on the physical output (#2), a drop-down menu will appear, with a list of all the available plug-in pins/outputs for Kontakt....

I agree it is very frustrating to say the least, & while I do have a few libraries for Kontakt, this is a big reason I stick with Superior Drummer/Toontrack stuff, it's just simple easy to use....

Lemme know if this helps or not dude...

Back