Best way to practice mixing?

livilaNic

Would it be best to cover a song done by a professional.

Then try to get it as close as you can to that sound?

Just wondering.

L8er,
livilaNic

The best way to practice mixing is to just do it. If a cover song works for you, do that. Offer free recording demos to local bands. Go to bars and get all the live recordings you can. Write you own songs and mix 'em.

Honestly, any mixing activity will teach you something, so just pick whatever's the most fun and go for it.

Chibi Nappa said:
The best way to practice mixing is to just do it. If a cover song works for you, do that. Offer free recording demos to local bands. Go to bars and get all the live recordings you can. Write you own songs and mix 'em.

Honestly, any mixing activity will teach you something, so just pick whatever's the most fun and go for it.

Thx nappa.

Do a search on this forum for "Public Mix Contest". Contest #8 has been the most recent. Good raw multi-track recordings to work with.

I second the "just do it" advice. And do it and do it and......

Something that has been very helpful for me recently is that we took an album project to a very experienced pro for mixing. Not only did I get to watch and listen as he worked, I also have the original tracks I can sit down and remix and compare with what he did to the same tracks. Very educational.

gtrman_66 said:
I second the "just do it" advice. And do it and do it and......

Yeah I don't know why I posted this. I guess I was bored. I'm the type even if someone told me to do it a certain way. I would need to do it my way anyway. Call me a control freak. -livilaNic

i at times spent hours and hours each day just listening to mixes i liked. just listen to them for a while. Get it stuck in your head on how things sound on your monitors. It will really help when you know what the frequencies sound like so you can recognize them when you get good enough. then you can listen to a pro mix and be like "that guitar has alot of 300hz and 1600000Khz". Then you can start to learn what frequencies are creating the color you are looking for.

Start with 1Khz. When you get 1Khz in your head its easy to learn others using relative pitch.

Get test tone generator and randomly generate some frequencies and try and guess them. Its alot of fun. if you come close its good too. When you start recognizing the tone and harmonic characteristics of a frequency its easy to recognize it.

danny

darnold said:
i at times spent hours and hours each day just listening to mixes i liked. just listen to them for a while. Get it stuck in your head on how things sound on your monitors. It will really help when you know what the frequencies sound like so you can recognize them when you get good enough. then you can listen to a pro mix and be like "that guitar has alot of 300hz and 1600000Khz". Then you can start to learn what frequencies are creating the color you are looking for.

Start with 1Khz. When you get 1Khz in your head its easy to learn others using relative pitch.

Get test tone generator and randomly generate some frequencies and try and guess them. Its alot of fun. if you come close its good too. When you start recognizing the tone and harmonic characteristics of a frequency its easy to recognize it.

danny

Nice
cool stuff

darnold said:

danny

I'm afraid to get to technical. I guess it's good to have reference points. Thx for the help danny. :D

Back