Best Studio Monitors for under $500.00

gkowal

Guys I`m trying to buy some studio monitors for my new home studio..I`ll be mixing and mastering TRANCE and HIP HOP music... Yeah I know 2 different types of music but thats what I do...I need some speakers that could handle LOWS without getting a SUB. Thanks GUYS!!!

Well, I would suggest something used with an 8 inch speaker and front ported. 6, 5 and 4 inch nearfields require a sub, period. That or numerous trips to the car, neighbors stereo etc. to get the low end under control. Once you learn the limitations of small speakers you can mix around them but you never really know the results until you hear them on large speakers.

The BX8 M Audios are about the best bet new for under $500.

Guys I`m trying to buy some studio monitors for my new home studio..I`ll be mixing and mastering TRANCE and HIP HOP music... Yeah I know 2 different types of music but thats what I do...I need some speakers that could handle LOWS without getting a SUB. Thanks GUYS!!!

i'd be careful with the m-audios, been chk'n out $500 monitors for a while....seems like if you have $3000 you're good to go, but in a budget man, you gotta be picky........listened to both the m-audio 5s and 8s, same studio, same loc, and the mids and highs sounded totally different...sup with that?! anyway, after listening long and hard, i went for the krk rp-6.....they're seriously awsome, very musical yet transparent, and translated really well to all my other mediums......in studio both the rp-6's and the rp-8's sounded awsome and completely in sinc, but the 8's had a more massive low end...i don't do much bottom-heavy music so i went for the 6's, but seriously chk out the 8's.....now sub needed with those bad boys, and they're around $240/each.........peace & good luck

this is 3 years old, why the bump?

How the hell do people even bump this?
What usually happens is you get a newb to the board (this was biosis' first post) who uses the search function. While that is a wonderful thing - not enough newbs use the search, hence we get the same questions over and over again - they are not used to the fact that a general search can return results that are (on this board) up to 9 years old, and are therefore not yet used to checking the date on the most recent post. Inadvertantly reply to a 3 year old search result, and you have the magic mysterious bump.

G.

So when this happens ... does that mean we should answer the way we would have answered three years ago?

Because if we answer the question as if it were a new post ... then the person asking from three years ago might get confused due to time lag.

I don't know if I'd understand what me, three years in to the future, is trying to explain. I mean ... new monitors have come out since then, that aren't available to gkowal for another three years. :D I suppose I could just say: "Wait three years and get the ____ ."

Which is why I wish people would use the closing date feature on the polls. A poll that goes on for a couple of years becomes pretty useless. The "What kind of monitors do you use" comes to mind, but it's certainly not the only one.

If this board were about things other than audio, we'd still have people answering polls about whether they're going to vote for Gore/Edwards or Bush/Cheney this year and what they are doing to prepare for the Y2K bug.

G.

Back