best reverb plugin

That's really a matter of opinion, but I use this awesome free plugin called Ambience for reverb. Anyone else have this? It's great, especially for drums.

I have yet to hear a reverb plugin that I like, except for the convolution stuff, and those are dependent on the IR itself and are not that tweakable... SIR is a free convolution reverb plugin.

Delays on the other hand are different story. I'd say take a look at the PSP stuff. Personally I like Reaktor for weird delay based fx.

When it comes to plug-ins...as limited as they are, I still like to work with convolution reverbs plugs.

IR-1 V2 for TDM is a current favorite. However, I still think they have a ways to go before they catch up with the best of outboard.

Ambience sounds as good as most every hardware box I have heard! It is unbelievable that it is still free! I just recently mixed a bands CD, and had a Lexicon PCM 70 and an Eventide H3000 available, both of course have GREAT reverbs, and used them for other things because Ambience sounded just as good, and is SO much easier to use.

The best delay plugin I have heard also happens to model the best hardware delay I have heard, and that is the PSP Lexicon PCM 42. Delightful! It is the kind of delay that once you use it, you say "Ah ha! This is what I hear on records!!!"

Ford Van said:
Ambience sounds as good as most every hardware box I have heard! It is unbelievable that it is still free! I just recently mixed a bands CD, and had a Lexicon PCM 70 and an Eventide H3000 available, both of course have GREAT reverbs, and used them for other things because Ambience sounded just as good, and is SO much easier to use.

The best delay plugin I have heard also happens to model the best hardware delay I have heard, and that is the PSP Lexicon PCM 42. Delightful! It is the kind of delay that once you use it, you say "Ah ha! This is what I hear on records!!!"

Anybody got a link for ambience??

Ford Van said:

The PSP 42 & 84 are my favorites for delay and subliminal background effects. SIR convolution reverb I've just discovered and haven't used any outboard reverb in the past couple of weeks since doing so. Some of the impulses at noisevault are amazing. I particularly like the PCM 91 plates and the TC 5000 stuff...simply stunning.

Thanks NL5..
I had been using the Kjaerhus Classic Reverb which is usable for basic reverb (for tracking even) since it has very little CPU pverhead. Then I discovered the Sir1010 and have been using the TCM6000 'verbs which sound amazing, my only issue with it is that the Sir1010 has a high CPU overhead. So I am hoping ambience or something else will give me some more options...

mixaholic said:
is the ambience reverb that NL5 gave a link to only a demo?

It's got a little "nag" screen you have too click if you don't pay for it - no biggie really.

Arts Acoustic Reverb is the best greatest reverb ever in the world ever. It does room stuff okay, but for bigger longer reverbs I think its perfect. I like it better than SIR, at least with the impulses I have. Sometimes I can get reverbs to sound cooler/stick out more without getting buried and turning into mush by using an analog tape or analog distortion simulation plugin before the reverb on the send channel.

Back