best monitors for £400

There is a big difference between being a dick and acting like one.

Most of us have figured that out... :)

I received my new HS8 Yamaha monitors today...brand new in factory sealed boxes. How do they sound ?? Fantastic, I should have bought these years ago. I can see now why MIX magazine gave them two way up thumbs !!! These guys sound awesome !!!!

I've heard lots of good things about the character and flat response of the Equator speakers, but the D5 only goes down to 53 Hz. Again, you'd probably want a sub and at £401 per pair, it doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for buying one.
HS8's go down to 34 Hz and fairly flat. Never heard these, but the specs sure look good. Still, £450 per pair at the best prices I can find.
The Eris 4.5 only goes down to 70Hz, but at £280 per pair, you have 120 quid left to find a sub...
Saw the JBL LSR 308s at Bax for £300 for the pair. Down to 37Hz.

Did no one get the monitory joke?

TBH I would not be too concerned about LF limits. 53Hz has a wavelength of 20feet so, luck of the draw that you will be at a pressure peak.

AFAIK most of the LF energy of rock/pop music is concentrated around 60Hz? I have also often read that putting a sub in a small room is asking for trouble?

Dave.

I know that it is easier to mix on my M3-8s (37Hz) than on my KRK 5s (45Hz), but that also may be due to room size, near- vs mid-field, flatness of the curve, or any number of other factors. I agree about the sub. Hooking one up with the Rokits was a mistake. The sub is now in my living room. :)

Back