Best Monitor position

Bulls Hit

I've heard a couple of conflicting theories on the best positions for nearfield monitors in relation to the side walls of the control room.

My room is rectangular, approx 12' x 7' and I can position the desk either against the long side or the short side. I was planning to put the desk in the corner against the long wall and so have a different distance between each monitor and its adjacent side wall. This was supposed to help reduce the liklihood of getting dead spots in the monitoring position.

However yesterday I read there should be an equal distance between each monitor and the adjacent sidewalls, otherwise the different reflections can throw the image off centre.

Does any of this matter? How do you guys have your monitors positioned?

I'm on the long wall of a 12'x20' room w/8' ceilings. I've moved around a little and put up some acoustic stuff - I get the flattest response like that.

It's not perfect but now I have more than enough detail in my monitoring to work myself up to the next rung which is better tracking & mic/preamp recording chains (should be a first priority but it takes $$ and a skill level that everyone I work with doesn't have yet).

BH,

> My room is rectangular, approx 12' x 7' and I can position the desk either against the long side or the short side. <

Set your speakers up so they fire the long way into the room. The goal is to be as far as possible from the wall behind you.

--Ethan

Back