Best all-in-one vocal processing VST plugin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nogibak

Hi everyone. I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations for an all around solid VST vocal processing plugin that can either do "all" or "one" thing to particularly dry vocals. What I do is just record the vocals in a dry mono track, and do nothing to it. Perhaps after EQing it, I would add some processing like compression/maximizer/limiting/etc. to make the vocals "stand out" in the mix. My question then is: is there anything like a VST plugin that can do all of the above? Like a quick preset on dry vocals that can do this? I have tried Izotope's Ozone 3 plugin, and despite numerous presets and options--it just didn't have the "vocal sound" I was looking for. I know this may be a long shot because usually it all depends on what I'm looking for. And to accommodate that "magical sound" is just something extremely hard to do with a simple plugin.

But, hmm...anyone know of anything as close to what I'm looking for (mostly just the vocal compressor/maximizer; can ignore everything else), or are my options really limited? If that's the case, I could try for an individual plugin or other techniques instead of like a "all-in-one." Thanks!

Last edited:
I know it's tempting to want a one plug, "make my vocal sound like I want it to" preset...... but forget it. If I could make one for you for one song, it would be wrong for the next song, and wrong again in a different way for the song after that. There are some plugins that have the common tools for vocal treatment all together in one vocal channel strip, like Voxengo Voxformer, or TC Voicestrip but my experience with them has been less than inspiring. I'd rather pick and choose what reverb, compressor, EQ, Chorus, delay, etc. I want to use on a given track. One stop shopping is very limiting in this regard.

Get a Mackie UAD-1. It comes with a couple "go to" vocal comps - the 1176 and LA2A. Get the plate 140 as well. Then get SIR reverb with a 480 or 960 Medium hall impulse. Look up Ford Van's handy vocal trick in this BBS. That will get you a LONG way towards a pro vocal sound for pretty cheap IMHO.

Get a Mackie UAD-1. It comes with a couple "go to" vocal comps - the 1176 and LA2A. Get the plate 140 as well. Then get SIR reverb with a 480 or 960 Medium hall impulse. Look up Ford Van's handy vocal trick in this BBS. That will get you a LONG way towards a pro vocal sound for pretty cheap IMHO.

Wow! That's awesome!! Someone actually came up with a REAL, intelligent answer to this type of request. I opened this thread expecting to see more of the same smart ass (because-we-really-have-no-idea) type of responses I see too often on this forum. I'm sure those will come too but yours is solid advise that is direct and to the point. THANK YOU for that :) To everyone else that doesn't know how to answer, please save your typing fingers and save us your boring and trite "it depends" types of oh-so-obvious statements. Of course it depends!! Throw the guy a bone anyway and give him a starting place. Otherwise, what's the point of this forum? Be opinionated and tell us what you like! I'm relieved (and impressed) to see you doing just that :D

I like Line 6's preamp models from their plug-in series. You get 6 preamp/console/tape-emulation models ranging from vintage tube to new, solid state consoles. The plug-in also offers plenty of effects, decent compression and right now, you just can't beat this price ($99): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-?sku=706520. While marketed more towards guitar and bass, the preamp emulations alone are worth the cost!

If you simply must spend more money then I agree that the UAD-1 plug-ins are outstanding and a good value. Waves SSL is good too but I like their V-Series MUCH better for vocals: http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=1680. That is, if you REALLY need to spend some money???

For something in between Line 6 and Waves (cost and value), Nomad makes some great plug-ins for this type of application. Check this out: http://www.nomadfactory.com/products/ess/index.html. I've been really impressed with these guys!! Excellent sounds and fair prices.

All the best!
Rich

Last edited:
Wow! That's awesome!! Someone actually came up with a REAL, intelligent answer to this type of request

Thank you. :)

I would guess about 80% or more of the vocals you hear on the radio have an 1176 or LA2A, a nice plate reverb, a Lexicon Random Hall of some sort (usually a medium hall), and Eventide Harmonizing. It is "THE SOUND". After that, everybody has their own tricks, and of course one of the pieces may be different, but like I said, that will certainly get you a long way towards "pro" sounding vocals.

Someone actually came up with a REAL, intelligent answer to this type of request.
Here's a smart-assed reply for you.

Robert D's answer was the most correct and intelligent one here thus far. The only thing trite and oh-so-obvious is the original question itself. There are simply some quiestions for which there are no correct answers of the type that the questioner is looking for.

I'd point out that while I have little disagreement with NL5's answer (he's usually pretty good with his answers) that there is nothing "all-in-one" about his answer. He is sending the OP to four (or five, depending on how you look at it) sources, one of them not even being a plug, but rather a description of a particular techniqe.

I'd like for you to name me one product in any catagory of product from golf clubs to stereo systems to sex toys to kitchen appliances to automobiles where putting the words "best" and "all-in-one" have any business whatsoever being together. That's just simply not how the world works.

Tell me, what the best all-in-one, four wheel drive sports car/pickup/luxury sedan/work van/chick magnet/police interceptor/roadster/camper that'll do 0-60 in 4 seconds and get 40 miles to the gallon in the city while doing so?

This is simply another example of a tiring and non-ending series of examples of people looking for magical shortcuts/presets/recipes/all-in-one solutions to quality that require the least amount of cost and effort on the part of the questioner - because they have yet to learn that's not how the world works either.

Forums are supposed to be for sharing quality information, not just telling someone what they want to hear when they ask a faulty question.

G.

Robert D's answer was the most correct and intelligent one here thus far. The only thing trite and oh-so-obvious is the original question itself. There are simply some quiestions for which there are no correct answers of the type that the questioner is looking for.

I'd point out that while I have little disagreement with NL5's answer (he's usually pretty good with his answers) that there is nothing "all-in-one" about his answer. He is sending the OP to four (or five, depending on how you look at it) sources, one of them not even being a plug, but rather a description of a particular techniqe.

I have to chime in just a tad here. While what Robert_D said is true, there is no "one answer", there are certain industry standards. I'd say 99% or more of recording studios with platinum albums on the wall will all share a few things in common. A Lexicon LARC on the console, some 1176's, some LA2A's, an Eventide harmonizer, and a great sounding plate of some sort - most will have a REAL plate.

Now, once you familiarize yourself with what these pieces actually sound like, you can pick them out on a commercial release. I can certainly say with confidence that the starting point I described is on A LOT of records done in the last 20 years. Is it a be all, end all answer? No. I said that in my original post. It will get you a LONG way towards a pro sounding vocal though. Once you are at that point, you can adjust things to the song and your artistic taste. Generally the two things that make "home recordings" sound homemade are the drums and the vocals, so this is certainly an area that a lot people struggle with......

edit - I just re-read what SSG said, and I think I kind of mis-read it a bit. Yes, there is no "all in one answer" to magically make vocals sound pro. Ain't gonna happen, sorry. I think the stuff I posted would be a great way to start, but that is IMO, but it is a VERY common starting place for many a commercial release.

Last edited:
Tell me, what the best all-in-one, four wheel drive sports car/pickup/luxury sedan/work van/chick magnet/police interceptor/roadster/camper that'll do 0-60 in 4 seconds and get 40 miles to the gallon in the city while doing so?

Doesn't Subaru make something like that?:D

I'd like for you to name me one product in any catagory of product from golf clubs to stereo systems to sex toys to kitchen appliances to automobiles where putting the words "best" and "all-in-one" have any business whatsoever being together. That's just simply not how the world works.

This is simply another example of a tiring and non-ending series of examples of people looking for magical shortcuts/presets/recipes/all-in-one solutions to quality that require the least amount of cost and effort on the part of the questioner - because they have yet to learn that's not how the world works either.

Forums are supposed to be for sharing quality information, not just telling someone what they want to hear when they ask a faulty question.

G.

Well, that's a spirited reply! I don't completely disagree with your observation but I don't see anything wrong with this type of question either. It's less, a philosophical point and more of a gripe that if you don't want to entertain these types of inquiries and help someone out then don't bother posting showing everyone how asinine you can be. Why not just say, "Hey, I see where you're coming from but the question is a bit complex and perhaps, a little misguided. Here's what I would do in your situation..."? <-- you can even copy and paste this as a template reply :) It's polite and helpful. Makes people actually wanna come back. Imagine that!

Turning it into a soapbox and bashing the person for asking an honest question (however hopeful and naive it may be) makes you and the person asking BOTH, look stupid! Either you can't answer the question and/or don't want to. In either case, silence is better. Let others chime in and enjoy each other's misguided-less-than-professional-that's-the-wrong-approach company :D

BTW, I wasn't going after Robert D specifically. To his credit, his answer did offer a direction. Fair enough. But I've seen these types of threads evolve into banter and condescension and I find it uninspiring and frankly, boring. Nearly all beginners believe there is an easy all-in-one solution. So what!? It's a starting place. Let 'em stumble before they walk and try to get them headed in a good direction. Give 'em training wheels. They'll either figure it out on their own or quit when they realize all that is involved. Or, be a dick about it. Then guys like me are gonna show up and call ya on it. Your choice.

My only point here is that these type of "it depends" answers help NO ONE! They are not insightful in the least so, why bother with them? They only make a point that no one (except for those who already agree) is listening to anyway. Why waste everyone's time? Boredom and a petty need to irritate others are the only acceptable (albeit valid) answers.

Till' next time...

Last edited:
best vocal plugin

[Moderator Note] A spammer resurrected this thread. Spam removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

G.

I agree with this 100%. NL5 gave some suggestions and talked about what 99% of studios with platinum albums use, but he left out a few things.

Namely:

An experienced singer with some idea of mic technique.

A great (or very good) mic.

A great (or very good) pre-amp.

A room treated for recording.

A good board, channel strips, etc....

An engineer with a thorough understanding of gain-staging and signal path.

A vision of what you want the finished product to sound like.

Enough experience and good enough ears to realize that vision.

etc....etc.....etc.......

So, yes, NL5's answer wasn't wrong. But it could give a newbie who's looking for the "fastest" way to sound "pro" the impression that all he has to do to get a great vocal sound is buy a few pieces of equipment and plug them in.

The OP reffered to getting that "magical sound". NL5's recommendations will NOT accomplish that by themselves.

If someone's insulted by an "it depends" answer (even though it is the right answer, like it or not...sorry to burst your bubble), then it's a bigger insult to people that have put years into learning their craft to think plugging in a few toys will make someone sound as good as the "pros".

Glen's answer is 100000% right on.

Last edited:
Pod Farm pre amps are exceptionally good and Ive heard great things come from sonar 8.5's vocal strip...of course the performance is what matters in the first place

My only point here is that these type of "it depends" answers help NO ONE! They are not insightful in the least so, why bother with them? They only make a point that no one (except for those who already agree) is listening to anyway. Why waste everyone's time? Boredom and a petty need to irritate others are the only acceptable (albeit valid) answers.

Another resurected thread OK I'll get in to the fray
It depends answers are designed to make you realise that it depends and you actually need to think about this sh!t and that above anyhting else will help you to get better mixes.
I don't wish to be condsending or uninsightful but really

Is it helpful or insightful to tell someone to cut at 250hz and boost at 3.5khz every time on every vocal. Set the compressor to Threshold - 10, attack 2ms release 100ms every time and always use a waves channel strip
will that sound the same on a bass voice, a tenor a soprano?
those compression settings will sound different on different compressor emulations some are more agressive some are more transparent some are more colored and will efect every voice differently.
Those EQ settings will sound different on different plugs, heck they will even sound different on different emulations of the same gear. SSL 4k emulation sounds different in the waves version than the UAD version then the SSL Duende version of the emulation. And all of it will ound very different if you recorded on a darker Dynamic mic vs A more airy hyped condenser

Is it really so hard to sweep the frequencies with an EQ to see what it actually does to your sound. Are the vast majority of people to incapable of adding a compressor plug and messing with the settings from everything turned all the way up and then backing it back down to see what compression actually does to the sound and if it is what you want? Virtually all VSTs are available for a free trial even the expensive ones, why is it so hard to download a trial and see if it makes any difference for your particualr needs rather than asking people you don't know, who have never heard your music what the best thing to do is.
Maybe just too lazy?

Even on the same voice in a different song you can't bank on using the same settings even if you are using the same recording chain and plugs because to get it to fit to the song you may need to emphasize/de-emphasize different things so a knowledge of what your plugs actually do to change the recorded tracks is critical and although harder than calling up the same preset each time, ultimately far more rewarding

I would guess about 80% or more of the vocals you hear on the radio have an 1176 or LA2A, a nice plate reverb, a Lexicon Random Hall of some sort (usually a medium hall), and Eventide Harmonizing. It is "THE SOUND

Oh and also I have been in 4 different recording studios in the last couple of years and none of them used the same gear and none of them did things because that's what they always do. Each session was treated uniquely and the gear selected from their available range was in the attempt to get the best result for the individual band they were recording. One guy thought an 1176 on the way in was the way to go another used ab LA2A and 2 felt it wasn't necesseray for that session and could be done In The Box later if needed. I saw a couple of guys using SSL desks, Another an Allen Heath and I think the fourth was a NEVE and the difference in mic choices was off the chart so to hear that 80% of records were recorded the same way on identical gear was a surprise to me and I'm sure would be a surprise to the producers artists and engineers too

So Iguess my advise FWIW is

If you want to get toward a pro sound you need to do what the pros do. Start each session with a clear idea of what you want and use what ever you need to get it and don't use what you don't need (Does every vocal need to be compressed, does every vocal need a low cut etc)

If you don't care how your music ends up sounding stick a pin in a list of channel strip plugins stick it on every vocal track and select the vox preset that it shipped with

I apologize for being vapid and uninsightful in advance

Last edited:
I wouldn't even bother replying to this moldy, almost 2 yr old thread, especially since the principles aren't even participants on this board any more, but I figured since my name was brought back into it I'd take the opportunity just to refresh this idea:

Most (not all) folks on this board don't necessarily want a truthful answer, they want an easy answer. The fact that only rarely in this racket is the truth that simple is not a fact they care to deal with.

Too bad for them.

Some questions are based upon false assumptions. if the assumptions are off-target, the question will be off-target as well. That doesn't mean that the respondent should give an off-target answer.

If one is afraid of a truthful answer, they probably shouldn't be asking the question.

G.

Holy shit. How'd that happen??? It seems I'm the one that resurrected the thread, but it was right at the top of the page when I responded to it. I certainly didn't go looking for old threads.

Weird.

I guess I'll jump into the zombie thread too!

The problem here is that the original poster buried his "real" question.
Hi everyone. I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations for an all around solid VST vocal processing plugin that can either do "all" or "one" thing to particularly dry vocals. I would add some processing like compression/maximizer/limiting/etc. to make the vocals "stand out" in the mix.
His real question was how to make vocals stand out in a mix.

He assumed the answer was plugins, so he framed the whole thing as "what plugin do I need?". But plugins are not how you make a vocal stand out. Spouting plugin names at the poor guy won't help him.

The original poster needs to learn both how to record a vocal and how to record everything that goes around a vocal (the rest of the band) in such a way as to not step on the vocal. Do the arrangement and instrument selection properly, and the vocal just stands out. Simple yet hard to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back