Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best all-in-one vocal processing VST plugin?

Nogibak is offline Newbie

Best all-in-one vocal processing VST plugin?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi everyone. I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations for an all around solid VST vocal processing plugin that can either do "all" or "one" thing to particularly dry vocals. What I do is just record the vocals in a dry mono track, and do nothing to it. Perhaps after EQing it, I would add some processing like compression/maximizer/limiting/etc. to make the vocals "stand out" in the mix. My question then is: is there anything like a VST plugin that can do all of the above? Like a quick preset on dry vocals that can do this? I have tried Izotope's Ozone 3 plugin, and despite numerous presets and options--it just didn't have the "vocal sound" I was looking for. I know this may be a long shot because usually it all depends on what I'm looking for. And to accommodate that "magical sound" is just something extremely hard to do with a simple plugin.

But, hmm...anyone know of anything as close to what I'm looking for (mostly just the vocal compressor/maximizer; can ignore everything else), or are my options really limited? If that's the case, I could try for an individual plugin or other techniques instead of like a "all-in-one." Thanks!
    Last edited by Nogibak; 03-19-2008 at 15:48.

Robert D is offline Close to the Edge
    I know it's tempting to want a one plug, "make my vocal sound like I want it to" preset...... but forget it. If I could make one for you for one song, it would be wrong for the next song, and wrong again in a different way for the song after that. There are some plugins that have the common tools for vocal treatment all together in one vocal channel strip, like Voxengo Voxformer, or TC Voicestrip but my experience with them has been less than inspiring. I'd rather pick and choose what reverb, compressor, EQ, Chorus, delay, etc. I want to use on a given track. One stop shopping is very limiting in this regard.
    Regards,
    RD
    [URL]http://www.myspace.com/twentysevenmoons[/URL]

LemonTree is offline Suck 'em and see!
    Waves SSL 4000 channel strip
    Lemontree Studio
    Not bitter, not twisted!

NL5
    NL5 is offline Unpossible!
    Get a Mackie UAD-1. It comes with a couple "go to" vocal comps - the 1176 and LA2A. Get the plate 140 as well. Then get SIR reverb with a 480 or 960 Medium hall impulse. Look up Ford Van's handy vocal trick in this BBS. That will get you a LONG way towards a pro vocal sound for pretty cheap IMHO.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -B.F.

blue4u is offline well that's just like you
    Quote Originally Posted by NL5 View Post
    Get a Mackie UAD-1. It comes with a couple "go to" vocal comps - the 1176 and LA2A. Get the plate 140 as well. Then get SIR reverb with a 480 or 960 Medium hall impulse. Look up Ford Van's handy vocal trick in this BBS. That will get you a LONG way towards a pro vocal sound for pretty cheap IMHO.
    Wow! That's awesome!! Someone actually came up with a REAL, intelligent answer to this type of request. I opened this thread expecting to see more of the same smart ass (because-we-really-have-no-idea) type of responses I see too often on this forum. I'm sure those will come too but yours is solid advise that is direct and to the point. THANK YOU for that To everyone else that doesn't know how to answer, please save your typing fingers and save us your boring and trite "it depends" types of oh-so-obvious statements. Of course it depends!! Throw the guy a bone anyway and give him a starting place. Otherwise, what's the point of this forum? Be opinionated and tell us what you like! I'm relieved (and impressed) to see you doing just that

I like Line 6's preamp models from their plug-in series. You get 6 preamp/console/tape-emulation models ranging from vintage tube to new, solid state consoles. The plug-in also offers plenty of effects, decent compression and right now, you just can't beat this price ($99): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...-6-?sku=706520. While marketed more towards guitar and bass, the preamp emulations alone are worth the cost!

If you simply must spend more money then I agree that the UAD-1 plug-ins are outstanding and a good value. Waves SSL is good too but I like their V-Series MUCH better for vocals: http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=1680. That is, if you REALLY need to spend some money???

For something in between Line 6 and Waves (cost and value), Nomad makes some great plug-ins for this type of application. Check this out: http://www.nomadfactory.com/products/ess/index.html. I've been really impressed with these guys!! Excellent sounds and fair prices.

All the best!
    Rich
    Last edited by blue4u; 03-19-2008 at 15:15.

NL5
    Quote Originally Posted by blue4u View Post
    Wow! That's awesome!! Someone actually came up with a REAL, intelligent answer to this type of request
    Thank you.

I would guess about 80% or more of the vocals you hear on the radio have an 1176 or LA2A, a nice plate reverb, a Lexicon Random Hall of some sort (usually a medium hall), and Eventide Harmonizing. It is "THE SOUND". After that, everybody has their own tricks, and of course one of the pieces may be different, but like I said, that will certainly get you a long way towards "pro" sounding vocals.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -B.F.

SouthSIDE Glen is offline independentrecording.net
    Quote Originally Posted by blue4u View Post
    Someone actually came up with a REAL, intelligent answer to this type of request.
    Here's a smart-assed reply for you.

Robert D's answer was the most correct and intelligent one here thus far. The only thing trite and oh-so-obvious is the original question itself. There are simply some quiestions for which there are no correct answers of the type that the questioner is looking for.

I'd point out that while I have little disagreement with NL5's answer (he's usually pretty good with his answers) that there is nothing "all-in-one" about his answer. He is sending the OP to four (or five, depending on how you look at it) sources, one of them not even being a plug, but rather a description of a particular techniqe.

I'd like for you to name me one product in any catagory of product from golf clubs to stereo systems to sex toys to kitchen appliances to automobiles where putting the words "best" and "all-in-one" have any business whatsoever being together. That's just simply not how the world works.

Tell me, what the best all-in-one, four wheel drive sports car/pickup/luxury sedan/work van/chick magnet/police interceptor/roadster/camper that'll do 0-60 in 4 seconds and get 40 miles to the gallon in the city while doing so?

This is simply another example of a tiring and non-ending series of examples of people looking for magical shortcuts/presets/recipes/all-in-one solutions to quality that require the least amount of cost and effort on the part of the questioner - because they have yet to learn that's not how the world works either.

Forums are supposed to be for sharing quality information, not just telling someone what they want to hear when they ask a faulty question.

G.
    Glen J. Stephan,
    SouthSIDE Multimedia Productions

RECORDING RESOURCES AND INFO SITE:

NL5
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthSIDE Glen View Post
    Robert D's answer was the most correct and intelligent one here thus far. The only thing trite and oh-so-obvious is the original question itself. There are simply some quiestions for which there are no correct answers of the type that the questioner is looking for.

I'd point out that while I have little disagreement with NL5's answer (he's usually pretty good with his answers) that there is nothing "all-in-one" about his answer. He is sending the OP to four (or five, depending on how you look at it) sources, one of them not even being a plug, but rather a description of a particular techniqe.
    I have to chime in just a tad here. While what Robert_D said is true, there is no "one answer", there are certain industry standards. I'd say 99% or more of recording studios with platinum albums on the wall will all share a few things in common. A Lexicon LARC on the console, some 1176's, some LA2A's, an Eventide harmonizer, and a great sounding plate of some sort - most will have a REAL plate.

Now, once you familiarize yourself with what these pieces actually sound like, you can pick them out on a commercial release. I can certainly say with confidence that the starting point I described is on A LOT of records done in the last 20 years. Is it a be all, end all answer? No. I said that in my original post. It will get you a LONG way towards a pro sounding vocal though. Once you are at that point, you can adjust things to the song and your artistic taste. Generally the two things that make "home recordings" sound homemade are the drums and the vocals, so this is certainly an area that a lot people struggle with......

edit - I just re-read what SSG said, and I think I kind of mis-read it a bit. Yes, there is no "all in one answer" to magically make vocals sound pro. Ain't gonna happen, sorry. I think the stuff I posted would be a great way to start, but that is IMO, but it is a VERY common starting place for many a commercial release.
    Last edited by NL5; 03-19-2008 at 17:52.

Quote Originally Posted by NL5 View Post
    Look up Ford Van's handy vocal trick in this BBS.
    Can you post a link? Thanks!

solo2racr is offline SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG, BLOW
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthSIDE Glen View Post
    Tell me, what the best all-in-one, four wheel drive sports car/pickup/luxury sedan/work van/chick magnet/police interceptor/roadster/camper that'll do 0-60 in 4 seconds and get 40 miles to the gallon in the city while doing so?
    Doesn't Subaru make something like that?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information