beefing up reverb tails????

FZfile

.....or to be more specific........

I am mixing an acoustic guitar song and like an idiot , while recording the lead acoustic track, I stumbled across a reverb sound that was just "PERFECT" so I printed the track with the reverb.

Solo'd it sounds good but......

......of course now in the context of the whole mix the reverb tail drops off too quickly and the track wont stay in in the mix.

Its a litle too quick to ride the fader and I really like the attack as is but when I try compression it messes up the attack.

Anyone have any sugestions??

-mike

Automation in softwear can help. If you set a volume envelope you can have it ride the faders for you very accuratly. Might help?

Use longer attack settings with your compressor... But prolly the second verb is a better idea. An alternative would be to use a slap back delay (two taps, one L one R, no feedback) with a 'musical' timing... Often gives you a much clearer image.

At least be lucky that you didn't OVERDO the verb...

aXel

if none of those work tell the guy who played the guitar he has to do the part again cuz it wasn't good enuff

I did tell the guy that......

........I said "Dude, that was kind of weak. We should do one more take."

And then I said "But we've already done, like, 7 takes, and its feelin all played out."

And I said "Well just do it one more time....and really try and feel it....ya know, get right inside of it."(I didn't really know what that was supposed to mean but......)

And then I played it one more time and said "How was that?"

"Not bad....better than the other takes," I said.

And then the guitar had to go back to my friend who let me borrow it for the weekend.

I am going to track it again with a different acoutstic and a little more pre-writing to the part, (I originally was just tracking to write) but I just loved the sound when I came upon it.

It was an Ovation Celebrity, which overall I don't like the sound of, and I had just gotten a pair of ECM8000 mics.
I was trying to experiment with an omni/cardiod combo and with over the shoulder positioning.....which I could NOT find a good spot.

Then for some reason I just decided to take advantage of the lack of proximity effect of the omni and tried stuffing it in the various sound holes of the Ovation. When I put it in the large upper-most hole it was like *BANG* .....that was it.

I think Chessrock said he found good sound there on that particular guitar.
Anyway, I got excited and just found a larger room patch on my VS880 and did a few passes untill I got a good take.
I even forgot to record a DI track simultaneously so I couldn't try different things with that.
But I was satisfied and gave the guitar back and got into re-recording the scratch rythm tracks around the lead line and the I got into rebuilding my room and finnally am getting back to it.

I probably will re-track the wholething eventually, whith real drums, but I want to see if I can fix this as much as possible.

So the moral of the story is.....I dont know......record a dry track AND a wet track if you can, just in case you want to tweak.

Tomorrow I am planning on re-verbing.......so we'll see how it goes.

thanks

-mike

Back