Bass Youtube Cover Mixing

adamscotty

Hi!

I want to start posting covers on Youtube/Instagram. My current setup is filming it on my iPod and recording it DI through an interface into Logic. It works pretty well but it's a pain to try and make it sound good. For one I'm not sure if I'm mixing it correctly. Nor do I know how to use the iMovie software very well. Any tips on mixing/editing techniques? Here's a link to my instagram with some of what I've been doing for reference. instagram.com/adamscottyork

Hi!

I want to start posting covers on Youtube/Instagram. My current setup is filming it on my iPod and recording it DI through an interface into Logic. It works pretty well but it's a pain to try and make it sound good. For one I'm not sure if I'm mixing it correctly. Nor do I know how to use the iMovie software very well. Any tips on mixing/editing techniques? Here's a link to my instagram with some of what I've been doing for reference. instagram.com/adamscottyork

Hello Adam and welcome. What is the make/model of your interface. I have no knowledge with Logic or iMovie. I use Camtasia Pro. I am downloading your audio now from Band Camp. {Matter of Time}. I will re-post when I run it through some programs. EDIT: I enjoyed it. Your guitar playing is impressive! The bass was a little weak but that's just me. As far as your input and rendering specs go, you are dead on. According to some of the pics I saw, you may want to hang some blankets up in front and behind you. Was that a SM 57 I saw?

Matter of Time (single) | Adam Scott York

Last edited:
Hi Mack!
Thanks so much i appreciate that! That song was professionally recorded so I can't take credit for it. lol. However, my question is more about the videos of me playing bass. I'm not sure if you saw those but there's one of me playing a song by Black Star and another of me playing along with December 63 by The Four Seasons. What I did for those was run my bass direct into a Focusrite Scarlett and into my laptop. I do have a couple 57's and a 58 but I don't use those for my bass covers. Did you watch either of those videos?

Thanks!

Hi!

Hi Adam,
To be honest, all I would have recommended is rolling off the bass on the backing track a little bit, and making sure your own bass is fairly prominent.
On the Frankie Valli track it sounds like you've done that so no complaints or suggestions there.

The Black Star track isn't as well balanced. The backing drowns you out a bit there.
I mean, I can still hear what you're doing but the backing is distracting.

Hope that's useful. :)

That's a good idea. I tried doing that to both when I recorded them but sounds like the Black Star cover wasn't as successful lol. I guess more what I'm looking for is any tips as far as simple compression plugins or eq adjustments to make the bass sound a little better.

For me there's a big difference between the two.
Sure, the Valli track is generally smoother and less in your face but, relative to your bass, it's quieter.
That alone is really all you need.

If you want some processing to make the bass sound better as a solo standalone instrument, that's cool...Hopefully someone will chime in on that,
but if it's to make it fit better with the backing, I really think the answer is turn down and low cut the backing.

Back