Bass guitar freq that bugs me

Controlling dynamics is critical on bass. I suppose poor dynamics could cause boominess, though the bigger problem will be difficulty finding a consistent level in the mix. Don't hesitate to compress. My bass signal runs through an outboard compressor 100% of the time. Use a longer attack to keep your note definition and punch. A USA Fender feels better to play than an MIM or a Squier, but I doubt you will hear much difference in the mix. Personally, I'd stick with what you have and work on technique. Are you sure the boominess isn't your room?

I record DI so I don't think the room comes into play other than maybe mixing with open back headphones.
I'll work more on controlling dynamics. When I do play bass, which is rare if I'm not recording, that's what I focus on. I think it's that, tbh. Though, do you notice any difference between notes on the 4th string vs the 3rd? If I play the same note on the 4th it feels boomier to me and pops out of the mix more. I find the 3rd string my favorite. I try to write bass lines using just that one string and wind up jumping around on it. I find that sits best in the mix. The higher strings sound thin to me and the lowest sounds really boomy. :/

Some basses just have a resonant frequency that is prominent. Not typically one that becomes an issue tho in my experience. Just a nudge here or there.

I am not sure why this is such an issue to be honest. The mention '5 times' about your room is a valid one. But, if you record direct and only mix in headphones, then that isn't so relevant. But...If you are mixing in headphones, they can have the same issues as a bad room in regards to frequency response.

Get some room treatments and a pair of monitors man. It just get's easier once you do. Seriously man. It don't cost that much....

Get some room treatments and a pair of monitors man. It just get's easier once you do. Seriously man. It don't cost that much....

But my recording area is in a corner. I don't think it would be good for monitors. One would be in a corner, and there are glass windows behind my desk. I'm in an apartment with hollow dry wall. It's just a bad situation. Would it really be worth investing in all that in such a bad room? I feel headphones are a better option in a bad room. Or at least this room. I'm very open to being wrong, but I haven't seen an argument that's convinced me yet. Most of my comments in the mix clinic people tend to agree with, so I think I am hearing things okay in the headphones.

In a month I'm going to my girlfriends cabin to record a full album I've been working on for years, but never had the space to make noise. I hope that will be more enjoyable than this apartment. :/

But my recording area is in a corner. I don't think it would be good for monitors. One would be in a corner, and there are glass windows behind my desk. I'm in an apartment with hollow dry wall. It's just a bad situation. Would it really be worth investing in all that in such a bad room? I feel headphones are a better option in a bad room. Or at least this room. I'm very open to being wrong, but I haven't seen an argument that's convinced me yet. Most of my comments in the mix clinic people tend to agree with, so I think I am hearing things okay in the headphones.

In a month I'm going to my girlfriends cabin to record a full album I've been working on for years, but never had the space to make noise. I hope that will be more enjoyable than this apartment. :/

But how do you know that you are doing better mixing in cans if you haven't known anything else? Not trying to argue with you man.

I personally can't stand having set of headphones on more than 15 minutes before I 'know' that my ears are not hearing what they should be. That is the same for most anyone who knows the difference...

Awesome that you will have more space to work with soon! I hope you take the time to treat that space and get out of the headphones when you get there. :)

Though, do you notice any difference between notes on the 4th string vs the 3rd? If I play the same note on the 4th it feels boomier to me and pops out of the mix more. I find the 3rd string my favorite. I try to write bass lines using just that one string and wind up jumping around on it. I find that sits best in the mix. The higher strings sound thin to me and the lowest sounds really boomy. :/

Definitely. It's true of guitar as well, but bass especially. Pick the positions that will work best in your mix. Though I don't usually try to play an entire bass line on one string.

Definitely. It's true of guitar as well, but bass especially. Pick the positions that will work best in your mix. Though I don't usually try to play an entire bass line on one string.

I avoid low E, if I can. Maybe on a final hit at the end of the song I'll use it, but otherwise it's indistinct. It all really depends on the bass, amp, cab, and EQ you're using too. Sometimes I can play above the 12th fret and it's clear, other times it's too thin and distant sounding...like there's suddenly a lot of reverb on it. I have a sweet spot on my bass, though it's fairly large, and I try to stick in that area. I test out 1 on A (powerful, thick) against 8 on D (clear, prominent) and I spend time on the arrangement of the bass part in that regard. When do I need power, and when do I need more finesse. Either way, I really enjoy coming up with bass parts, though I admit I usually go with the first rhythm that I come up with.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this freq problem. I have treated my room, and notice a difference in my mixes. I built 6 acoustic panels. I know there is more than just adding some panels. But its all I can do at this time. My mixes have gotten more consistent over time, and on different types of listening devices. I use a narrow cut at 250. I take out 2 or 3 db. That does it for me. I started this thread because I had never seen anyone with this issue. I thought maybe, since I play bass, I was being to critical. It takes out the boominess. And I cant write around avoiding certain strings. To limiting for me. Its nice to hear other thoughts on the subject.

Back