backing tracks cd/mp3

srvblues

Im new here, I recently purchased some backing track discs through ebay, srv, deep purple, and zz top, now you can tell Im older. I have 2 guitars one in standard tuning and 1 at 1/2 step down. So when I install the disc in to the side of the computer and send it to my I tune folder everything seems fine, But I can't find the proper tuning for most of the songs. right now Im using the computer for sound, but I hoping for advice on that also, do I use a mixer and speakers? if so what do you guys recommend? Thanks for the help

If you import the song into a DAW (recording software) they all have the ability to alter the pitch by speeding up/slowing down the track (and most by just altering the pitch only). Assuming you just want to play along with things, not do any recording, you've just got to tune to the track itself - that requires listening,and matching up your guitar to what you hear. Believe it or not, in the days before electronic tuners, that's what we all did to play along: plop needle on record, realize that you're not in tune with it, tune to it best you can, pick up needle, start the record again.

I was also told that a small mixer and good speakers would help me out. when I play straight through my amp it seems that the guitar is not in-sync with the track Im using, some songs are in tuned and some are not. do you think that my sound quality would be better and more real.

Erm... did someone guarantee that all your backing tracks would be in standard guitar tuning?

A mixer and speakers aren't going to change the tuning of either your guitar or your CD backing tracks...

Did you even read the answer you got? You seem very confused.

In the 'good old days' loads of recordings were wildly adrift from absolute tuning, hence why the ability to retune to E and a bit, was essential. I tunes will play exactly what is on the cd. Once it is in the computer, you need some audio editing software to change it. If you don't want to spend money then audacity is free. You will have to experiment and adjust it by ear till it fits. However, you say it goes out of sync? This on a stereo recording is impossible. If it speeds up or slows down then then tracks are badly produced, not faulty. Sounds very much like somebody found some old backing tracks and transferred them to digits without checking the tuning. Modern tracks made with synths tend to always be in tune, as do guitar tracks that tuned to an electronic tuner. However, many people who play purely for themselves have perfectly tuned guitars tuned to a random point. Works ok for them, but a pain for others.

In the 'old days' it was not unusual for the producer to 'retune' a song - make it higher/lower faster/slower by adjusting the tape speed - many Beatles songs are that way.

as are loads of Beach Boys tracks - and annoyingly sometimes the perfect sound wasn't exactly E, F or C.

For those blessed with perfect pitch, these tracks can be painful to listen to!

Back