Awesome new website - mixbuddy.com

AJ679

Hey guys I just wanted to let you know about this awesome new website that launched earlier today. It's called mixbuddy.com and it's a platform to connect with musicians across the world and get paid to work on their songs, or pay others to work on your songs whether it be session work, writing parts, or pretty much anything to do with the production of a song. Check it out and sign up! The start is very slow so it would be great if you guys could spread the word about it. (I'm not associated with the company, but I've had a couple of discussions with the founder and he seems like a really great guy.) Hopefully I'll see some of you on there!

The rates are whatever you want them to be! That's the awesome part. You can post a service for a set rate or an artist can post a job with a max payment and you can send a proposal. I've already signed up and the notification emails to those who pre-signed up are going out shortly. If I were you I would head over and sign up now and be one of the first people there.

Looks like a reasonable idea, kinda like a music centric version of People Per Hour or Skillpages.

When will there be customers on there though?

I'm hoping soon. I believe the founders approach was to get a base of services, and then start advertising to the customer base. I know he has a few resources ready and waiting, so I really hope that coustmers are going to start coming out of the woodwork soon

Last edited:
Hi everybody! Ruben Rehn, the founder of mixBuddy.com here.

I saw traffic directed to mixBuddy.com from here and I couldn't believe my eyes when I found this post and someone I didn't knew was talking about the page - truly exciting! I just wanted to introduce myself and try to add to this conversation and answer any questions and to collect feedback to constantly improve the site.

mixBuddy.com was started as a project by me (in Stockholm, Sweden where I am born and live), as I am myself a struggling song writer and producer. I am truly passionate about making new music all the time, but I could never seem to get the mixing work as I heard it in my head. I realized there must be millions of aspiring musicians, mixing engineers, artists, producers and song writers in the same situation struggling with different parts of the music production process, not just mixing. And seeing that the music industry is as broken as it is, I thought to myself that it would only be fair to find a way for aspiring musicians to get paid for the work they do for once. I started coding mixBuddy.com the next day.

As you understand, it is as much a tool for myself as it is for everybody else in the same situation. I am still the only employee of the company and I am working hard to get the network going. For customers to see value in it, there must be services and users willing to take on the work they post first. That's what I am doing for the first weeks and will then focus on turning towards the buying customer. I will eat noodles until I succeed!

I just wanted you to know the background and to know who I was as well as open up a feedback channel. Any comments or feedback, good or bad is always welcome and hopefully we can manage to grow this into something really good!
Thank you for helping me out!

Best Regards,
Ruben

Yes, it's a good idea and possibly a needed service. I don't mean to sound skeptical right out of the gate, but I would have a few concerns about it.

For example, I have good mixing skills and a good enough room and monitors to do a semi-professional job of mixing and mastering. As many of us know, achieving a great final mix is highly dependent upon having decent tracks to work with. What if some amateur sends me raw tracks that totally suck and there is little I can do to make them sound good? Having recorded in an untreated bedroom with cheap mics and poor technique can totally wreck a project. Off key singing with heavy instrument bleed is not even workable. Things like that would likely leave the mixer (me) frustrated and the client disappointed. So, where do we go from there?

@RawDepth

It's good that you are skeptical, I wouldn't want to have it any other way.

There are two flows you as a mixer could get work, both by people buying a service you've setup, and people posting jobs that you can apply to.
In both cases you are provided with samples of the current state, maybe even example tracks.(All handles in application and job posting process) So before even applying and/or accepting the job you will have some rough idea of what you are going in to. Should you notice poor quality tracks and simply that this person's tracks aren't ready for mixing you can decline the job offer.

Should the samples not provide you with enough information about quality and you go as long as being hired for a project, you can still end it as soon as you've listened. The simple answer would then be that you don't start working and tell the employer that you don't wanna do the work anymore and simply abort the project. No transaction of either deliverables or money has been made at this stage.

Lastly, the feedback system would probably sooner or later show unskilled employers with unreasonable expectations as both worker and employer are rated after each project. I will also issue user control meaning that people with many complains and low ratings will be evaluated and possibly banned.

I hope this was answer to your question :)

Best Regards,
Ruben Rehn

Last edited:
Should the samples not provide you with enough information about quality and you go as long as being hired for a project, you can still end it as soon as you've listened. The simple answer would then be that you don't start working and tell the employer that you don't wanna do the work anymore and simply abort the project. No transaction of either deliverables or money has been made at this stage.

Reasonable.
As an engineer it is part of the job to give fair and resonable feedback on the quality of tracks/stems you are given and flag potential issues before the project starts. If you over-promise and under-deliver on quality/timescale then that's something to learn from for next time.

Obviously if customers feel (rightly or wrongly) that they got burned using certain website, they're less likely to go back for repeat business, so it's good that this is being taken into account on that end. I would be wary of MixBuddy getting too actively involved with this, ultimately it's down to the engineer and unless there is a vetting system for 'quality' (both engineers and clients) it's always going to be a risk.

I would be wary of MixBuddy getting too actively involved with this, ultimately it's down to the engineer and unless there is a vetting system for 'quality' (both engineers and clients) it's always going to be a risk. - Quote from Jake_JW

I agree with you. If you are referring to what I said about user control and banning was mostly about completely unreasonable and constantly reported users.

/ Ruben

Back