Autotune question

pathdoc

Do you work at tuning up each note in your vocal tracks or do you leave in a few flat notes just to sound more natural?
Your observations and thoughts please.

Autotune frustrates me when I hear it on commercial songs... I dont know a whole lot about music theory and what not but I think it has something to do with the whole Equal temperament thing with pitch.

Sometimes (even good singers) sing slightly flat or sharp to compliment the song. When you autotune them to sound EXACTLY right I think it is unnatural.

Especially on harmony vocals.. Its like when you can tune a guitar by ear to sound great on a bar chord, but if you tune the whole guitar like that it sounds a little off.. But when you use a guitar tuner, it tunes with equal temperment or something so that the octaves are the same. But I dont think singers should sing with equal temperment, and I dont think good singers naturally do? A lot of modern rock and pop songs I hear sounds like robots singing because the backround vocals have been autotuned to perfection. It sounds like an instrument rather than a voice because its basically tuned like a piano.

Maybe its the nature of Autotune... I havent used autotune before but does it give you alternate tunings you can use besides equal temperment?

Am I crazy or am I onto something here? Maybe its time I start studying some music theory, haha

nddhc said:
Am I crazy or am I onto something here? Maybe its time I start studying some music theory, haha

you're not the first to think this, the problem with many of thoes over-tuned records is that they've tuned every note, even if it wasn't audibly out in the first place.

only fix what seems to be a problem, and watch how you set the speed and you'll be fine.

I've still got mine, but I haven't powered it up for quite some time. At the moment it is supporting the synchronizers in the rack above it.
I sort of drifted into recording songs, so at first it was very useful. By my second album, I'd learned to hear the artifacts it was causing, and by that time my pitch had improved enough that I was able to do without it for the most part, relying instead on the tried-and-trusted technique of 'keep redoing it until it's right'. That said, using it on the harmonies in an 80s-style song produced a rather interesting subtle effect like it had been put through a vocoder (no, not the 'Cher' thing). I quit using it after that though. I find it difficult to actually ditch things though, so I haven't sold it. But I guess I ought to.

another +1 for melodyne. what a GREAT product. after tweaking my vocals in it, i can actually stand to listen to myself. ;)

cheers,
wade

i've only ever used an auto tune plugin (not the rack thing) to slightly better an already good track. I usually set it so it fixes a few flats here and there but not super noticably as to get that great cher effect you hear in every pop song these days. Just tightens up the vocals a bit...

back to the age old saying shit in shit out

Back