Autotune question

Shack

Don't know how many have experience of using Antares Autotune. I tried the demo version a while back and found it okay except when I tried it on a number of different tracks my computer ran out of cpu or ram or whatever. The trial period ended before I could get round to doing much else with it.

My question is whether it is possible that since Autotune runs in realtime, to bounce a vocal track with the autotune running on it to another track and obtain a new vocal track in that manner? Does anyone do this/ have experience of doing it and what are the drawbacks?

I use ProTools LE, if that helps.

Yes,
You can use it in real time, or bounce it by doing offline type work to a different track( or replace existing track,depends on your multitrack software) so as to conserve cpu cycles.
There is no downside to doing a destructive edit, if you are commiting to use it. It is not like reverb where you might want a little less at mixdown.

Tom

Thanks for that.

I was thinking of getting the new Autotune 4 but thought i'd check with 'society' before I commit myself. I expect it should be useful with things like lead guitar and bass parts as well?

Thanks for that.

I was thinking of getting the new Autotune 4 but thought i'd check with 'society' before I commit myself. I expect it should be useful with things like lead guitar and bass parts as well. Should be worth it I guess.

I've had Auto-Tune 3 for a couple of years now, and it got used for one out-of key vocal in all that time. The last time I checked Antares offered 4 for a hundred bucks to upgrade but it doesn't seem like I need to.

kind of related...
i get the best uses out of Autotune using it only on a few notes or words at a time. just process it using AudioSuite on the selected parts. the problem I've found with using it as an insert is that I can hear pops and clicks in the audio when it kicks in. THAT annoys me. however if i do it over a selected note or word, I can just use a fade to help smooth out it popping in. :cool:

Back