Auto Tune

J-Cal

Im Using Auto Tune For Rap Vocals !
What Key And Scale Would I Use For Rap Vocals !
Please Help !

impossible for anyone to answer
what key and scale is the song in?

Sounds like you need to read up on music theory.

Last edited:
Auto-tuning speech?

If you can't get anywhere close to the right pitch then forget Auto Tune. It will be painfully obvious and sound bad. If you're pretty damn close then maybe even the "auto correction" feature on the plugin will be good enough. Although you usually need to tell the plugin what key you're in so it can tell what the "correct" notes are you're trying to reach.

Antares Auto Tune is a great pitch correction plugin and that's what I would try. Melodyne is even better in my opinion, but is a whole nother piece of software all-together and it comes with a pretty big price tag. If I remember correctly, and I probably don't, it's about $400.

Even if you don't know what key it's in can't you still just lift or drop where ever it sounds off?

Melodyne Uno on the free ads board

Auto-tuning speech?

If you can't get anywhere close to the right pitch then forget Auto Tune. It will be painfully obvious and sound bad. If you're pretty damn close then maybe even the "auto correction" feature on the plugin will be good enough. Although you usually need to tell the plugin what key you're in so it can tell what the "correct" notes are you're trying to reach.

Antares Auto Tune is a great pitch correction plugin and that's what I would try. Melodyne is even better in my opinion, but is a whole nother piece of software all-together and it comes with a pretty big price tag. If I remember correctly, and I probably don't, it's about $400.

someone had Melodyne Uno for real cheap in the free ads for recording and musical instruments forum.

OKAYYY ! I THINK I ASKED THE WRONG QUESTION !

HERE WE GO !
WHERE CAN I LEARN ABOUT MUSIC KEYs AND SCALES ?
DOING HIP HOP I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD NEED THIS TILL MY ENGINEER FLAKED OUT AND I HAD 2 START DOING THIS MYSELF

HERE WE GO !
DOING HIP HOP I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD NEED THIS TILL MY ENGINEER FLAKED OUT AND I HAD 2 START DOING THIS MYSELF

is this for actual singing or just spoken parts? if its just rap, then there's really nothing to tune. :confused:

if you want to learn about keys and scales you're gonna need to get yourself a keyboard or something so you can actually hear and play along with the notes you want to sing. that'll help you get an understanding of it.

is this for actual singing or just spoken parts? if its just rap, then there's really nothing to tune. :confused:
Rap isn't just random notes spoken, it's similar to singing in the way that a rapper chooses certain notes to rap at certain points of the song.

I don't see the point in using Auto tune though as it's pretty easy to get the right notes when rapping as compared to singing.
But if you are doing that sing/rap style at points then yeah auto tune can smooth out the notes. I'd only use auto tune if the recording is only slightly out of tune, if any more then re-track.

Eck

HERE WE GO !
It's called music theory. You could take a class at a community college, or maybe start dabbling in it on line.

It's not a small, easy subject, and you will have to know what notes are being played by the instruments.

It's always much easier to just sing in key, you can do that by ear. If it's just rapping, there is no pitch and, therefore, no key.

Rap/hip hop is evolving. Hop hop and modern R&B are really starting to sleep together more and more, bluring the lines sometimes. Even though modern hip hop lyrics are mostly not sung in a traditional way, there is often intentional pitch and sometimes even a whisper of very limited melody in the lead rap vocals. Plus more and more there is traditional melodic singing being found in both choruses and accompaniment vocals of otherwise "mainstream" rap vocals.

Like everybody has said, check out basic music theory in the form of chords and chord progressions. No need to get super deep just yet, but enough to know how and when to bring it back to the one. ;)

G.

Its been a while since I looked at Auto Tune. Isn't there a chromatic setting that bumps stuff to any standard pitch? Should work with any key then- as long as the vocalist doesn't waver more than a 1/4 step off pitch.

Back