Auto-Mixing...you knew it was coming...

miroslav

Cosmic Cowboy
OK...so I guess folks can now Auto-Mix...and then use one of the Auto-Mastering services to polish off their Auto-Mixed tunes.
Now...if someone could just figure out how to Auto-Track their sessions...they wouldn't even have to be in the studio anymore. Shit, you could set everything on autopilot and go out for pizza while "your" song is recorded, mixed and mastered.

Time to sell everything in the studio and submit to the Matrix.
Nothing is real...everything is a preset that a machine serves up to you.
All you do is make a selection from the menu. :facepalm:

"Yes please, one large pizza, half mushroom, half sausage...easy on the cheese...and a little on the crisp side.
15-20 minutes?
Great! Thank you! "

There are shorter promo videos for the ADD crowd...but this gives a more detailed view of what this new iZotope plugin (Neutron) does.

The key phrase to be aware of in all of this is "Track Assistant is Listening"...which means you don't have to. :rolleyes:

Hmmmmm.

You start out wanting to be a musician..........If you can't..... become a music critic. If you can't do that, become a music teacher (who also is a critic).

If you can't do any of that, become a software designer.

:D

Now if we could just get something to auto-post on a forum we'd all get our lives back! :eek:

You mean like the audo-bid thing on eBay. :D

Yeah...we each create a series of preset post responses, and just let the algorithm do the work, while we go make some music. :p

If you can't do any of that, become a software designer.

Fuck yeah!
I asked about the same thing on my Samplitude/Magix forum...if any of the developers actually did some recording or played music...because sometimes I wonder about it when I see the new software implementations...like WTF???...did they really think that was a good idea? :D

But the end result is all that maters! :facepalm:

Oh you KNOW someone is going to come around and say that...you just know it...and here's why I find that to be the most stupidest perspective when it comes to this "auto" stuff.

The majority of home rec guys are never going to really "make it". We can post our shit on iTunes and Amazon and make believe we are playing/selling with the big boys , but it all comes down to selling millions and making money VS selling a couple of hundred (mostly to friends, family and a few fans) and not even recouping our costs.
So then WHY the fuck do we do this shit???
Because we love it...because there's a pleasure, a feeling of satisfaction and achievement making our own music, playing it out live, recording it...and the whole process of doing that.
The discovery...learning new tricks...expanding our music/recording skill-set. That's why we do it...and NOT just the get that "end result".

So then why the heck would we want to give that up and let a mathematical preset do it for us?
I mean...yeah, some things are hard to figure out, but who the heck around here has a deadline to make because some big-name record company is waiting for their finished project? :)
I dunno...maybe you can tell your friends, family, fans how you did all yourself, using your "skills"...but you'll always know that you resorted to a bunch of algorithms that some developer coded, and THAT is what created your "preset" mix and master.

You bought all that music equipment and recording software...and in the end...some preset did the work for you.
I would hate knowing that...that I gave up and resorted to the auto-shortcuts...regardless of how the end result sounded.
I mean..we are not competing with anyone, even if it seems like we are. It's about you and your music, and how you did it.
I get the feeling like some people thing they are going to get graded at the end of the project...so they'll resort to crib sheets and cheating just to get that good grade.

YMMV...

OK...end of rant. ;)

Didn't watch the whole thing, but while maybe it can make a mix sound better, it seems to me that it can get you all discombobulated and have one end up endlessly tweaking settings in the preset plug-in's to try and make it sound right, vs. learning the basics around what tools to use to achieve a result. Just like the auto-mastering tools, if that's all one wants, good for them -- but I can't imagine having everything this tool requires (DAW, plug-ins,etc.), which is a big investment in $ and learning/time, and not just learning some basic mixing.

I am willing to bet a rookie ends up spending more time trying to get their mix to their liking by tweaking these presets on what is likely the wrong signal flow for their actual mix, rather than just putting together their own chain.

But this is from the guy that will never step into a self-driving car.

The majority of home rec guys are never going to really "make it". We can post our shit on iTunes and Amazon and make believe we are playing/selling with the big boys , but it all comes down to selling millions and making money VS selling a couple of hundred (mostly to friends, family and a few fans) and not even recouping our costs.
So then WHY the fuck do we do this shit???
Because we love it...because there's a pleasure, a feeling of satisfaction and achievement making our own music, playing it out live, recording it...and the whole process of doing that.
The discovery...learning new tricks...expanding our music/recording skill-set. That's why we do it...and NOT just the get that "end result".

So then why the heck would we want to give that up and let a mathematical preset do it for us?
I mean...yeah, some things are hard to figure out, but who the heck around here has a deadline to make because some big-name record company is waiting for their finished project? :)
I dunno...maybe you can tell your friends, family, fans how you did all yourself, using your "skills"...but you'll always know that you resorted to a bunch of algorithms that some developer coded, and THAT is what created your "preset" mix and master.

You bought all that music equipment and recording software...and in the end...some preset did the work for you.
I would hate knowing that...that I gave up and resorted to the auto-shortcuts...regardless of how the end result sounded.
I mean..we are not competing with anyone, even if it seems like we are. It's about you and your music, and how you did it.
I get the feeling like some people thing they are going to get graded at the end of the project...so they'll resort to crib sheets and cheating just to get that good grade.

YMMV...

OK...end of rant. ;)

Agreed with all of that.

Now if they could just automate the process of listening to music, I might actually get a fan club.

So why are you bothered what somebody else does?

So why are you bothered what somebody else does?

I don't really care if someone uses this stuff, that's for them to care...but I can certainly express my feelings on the subject, because I don't go through life being indifferent about everything, though I do see that as the modern trend in society...everything is "OK", everything has to be accepted in order to meet the new politically correct mentalities.

Why are you bothered by what I'm saying. :)

I don't really care if someone uses this stuff, that's for them to care...but I can certainly express my feelings on the subject, because I don't go through life being indifferent about everything, though I do see that as the modern trend in society...everything is "OK", everything has to be accepted in order to me the new politically correct mentalities.

Agreed again.

I do care that this halfassed auto-everything is trying to overrun real recording. And it's worse that idiots actually fall for it.

For me, it's not about clinging to some nostalgic perspectives, some old-school ideals...it's about the dumbing and watering down of real skills and processes so everyone can feel a cheap sense of "achievement".

It's like all that BS about how winning is not important that they now teach little kids who are out there playing sports. Everyone gets a gold star, and all that....so that basically, you can fall short and still act like you're as good as the guys who actually won.

I just don't buy into that shit. :D

As a rookie, I don't have a problem feeling a sense of accomplishment getting a mix together better than I certainly could have expected, and frankly, digital tools today have made that vastly more accessible to folks than ever (a hobbyist couldn't even consider doing this stuff 30 years ago).

So let them (us) have tools.. no reason to deny that. What I really respect, however, is anybody who is a pro, or for whom this is their livelihood and craft - and I'd never pretend that what I do is anywhere comparable to that. No auto anything can replace what I know is an amazing craft and skill. I am technologist, and feel the same way when someone puts together an HTML page and says "Look, I'm a software developer!". lol.. yeah, right.

For me, it's not about clinging to some nostalgic perspectives, some old-school ideals...it's about the dumbing and watering down of real skills and processes so everyone can feel a cheap sense of "achievement".

It's like all that BS about how winning is not important that they now teach little kids who are out there playing sports. Everyone gets a gold star, and all that....so that basically, you can fall short and still act like you're as good as the guys who actually won.

I just don't buy into that shit. :D

Lol. That's where we're at. This is the participation award era of music recording and production. No one fucking knows how to do anything, but everyone gets a prize. Yay, you did it!

Automixing is all well and good but what's really needed in this world is an "Autotalent" function.

That especially applies to my complete lack of musical or vocal skills.

Doesn't pandora and spotify almost do just that? They tell you what to listen to.

Damn. Good point. It's all over now...the whole process is automated from conception to consumption!

I sat for half an hour typing and deleting, typing and deleting. I can't really put into words my thoughts on the subject. I like music...I like creating it and consuming it. It's inextricably tied to who I am...but I think that at the end of the day, I'm still in the "if it sounds good, it is good" camp. At some level, it would be a bummer to learn that my favorite songs were created with two mouse clicks and an algorithm. But at the same time, I'm not so sure that I'd stop loving the songs that I love if it turned out that they were some sort of Turing Test award winner. This really concerns me...and also it doesn't. I'm deeply conflicted.

I can sum up my feelings on this topic in one sentence.
We live in a society where people have to 'Have Before They Can Do'.

Back