The art of Reverb

mcmd

Hello all,

How is reverb used to create that musical depth, open space and relative space between instruments? I understand that EQ can carve out separate frequency ranges for instruments and provide better sonic separation, and I wish I knew how to do this better!...and then there is panning and levels ..... so back to reverb..
... are there possibly some rules regarding (1) what types of instruments typically get reverb applied and (2) whether different types of reverb effect are used to separate out and create a sonic 'depth of field'?

I would like to know what you would suggest for different reverb effect(s) on a typical mix example:

Main vocal ( slight/little reverb - want it up front?)
Backing vocal ( little/moderate reverb - want it back in mix?)
Drums ( slight/little reverb - want to keep it tight?)
Bass ( slight/little reverb - want to keep it tight?)
Rhythm guitar cords ( slight/little/moderate - help?)
Rhythm guitar fills ( slight/little/moderate - help?)
Lead/gain guitar ( help? - want it up front?)

Maybe, the problem is that I have one microphone (trusty SM57) and reverb just won't help!

Thanks in advance,

/mcmd

mcmd said:
Hello all,

How is reverb used to create that musical depth, open space and relative space between instruments? I understand that EQ can carve out separate frequency ranges for instruments and provide better sonic separation, and I wish I knew how to do this better!...and then there is panning and levels ..... so back to reverb..
... are there possibly some rules regarding (1) what types of instruments typically get reverb applied and (2) whether different types of reverb effect are used to separate out and create a sonic 'depth of field'?

The trick is panning, reverb, EQ, and one item you didn't mention--delay--are all used to create the illusion of depth. Try to make them work together, and resist the urge to make your tracks too wet.

Or better yet, cut one track 100% wet plate reverb with some concert hall reverb dumped on top of that, and get it out of your system. Add some echo too ;)

mcmd said:
How is reverb used to create that musical depth, open space and relative space between instruments?

Maybe, the problem is that I have one microphone (trusty SM57) and reverb just won't help!

Reverb is generally used as an effect to make recordings sound more natural. Think of it this way: when you hear sound (say, someone playing a guitar 10 ft in front of you), you are hearing not only the sound coming directly from the instrument, but all of the reflections of that sound bouncing off of walls/ceiling/floor, etc. Sound is entering both your ears (binaural) from all directions, not just from the guitar itself (that is what reverberation means). Human hearing is very complex without even addressing the neural pathways.

Contrast that to your SM57 (a solid mic, imo, but not the most sonically detailed) which has a cardioid pickup pattern and some serious proximity effect. It is designed to preferentially amplify sound coming directly into the diaphragm from a relatively close range. Off-axis sounds are largely rejected. Well, that means that the 57 is good for what it is good for (live sound applications--to reduce feedback; miking of loud sources--drums, amps; minimizing background noise in recordings), but it does not even come close to replicating human hearing.

Reverb is used to bring space back to the recording by simulating what things sound like in real environments (rooms, clubs, concert halls, etc.). That being said, use of reverb in recordings is based on what you want your listeners to envision. In general, if you want things to sound far away, add more reverb; less makes them sound closer. However, I wouldn't even try to give you any specific rules. I do agree with mshilarious that reverb should be used sparingly. If you can hear the reverb without trying, you are probably using too much.

Here is some light reading:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may00/articles/reverb.htm
http://artistpro.com/index.php?module=PnCourses&func=getPage&course_id=17&page_id=63
http://www.recordingproject.com/articles/article.php?article=3
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/mar97/reverbbasics.html
http://www.recordingwebsite.com/articles/reverb.php
http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Reverb/

Stereo Reverb SM57

scrubs said:
Reverb is generally used as an effect to make recordings sound more natural.

Contrast that to your SM57 (a solid mic, imo, but not the most sonically detailed) which has a cardioid pickup pattern and some serious proximity effect. but it does not even come close to replicating human hearing.

If you can hear the reverb without trying, you are probably using too much.
[/url]

Hi Your really trying to get a nice vocal from an instument mic as has been mentioned above.
These days we can pick up really nice mics for a third of what they used to cost.
A good mic will lift your sound anyway.

Beg or Borrow one to test this.

As regards reverb I use mono to stereo ( mostly on Live sound)

If your vocals are on trk 1 send to a stereo reverb and bring the two outputs L+R back to trks 4+5 panned 75% L+R.
Then EQ 4+5 to get a nice sounding reverb.
This give speace to the sound and gives you good control over the reverb.

Just play with it.

Cheers
Bob

The trick to reverb is not putting it on everything.

Find a few key elements to hit it with.

Drum overheads and vocals are usually the only things that get reverb in my mixes. The OH's give the illusion that all the mics have 'verb, but the direct mics stay tight, and vocals just need reverb to sound right.

Sometimes the snare mic can benefit from 'verb. If you overdo it you sound very 80's though.

Depends on the song.

I just got the new TapeOp issue, and they had a segment with about 20 pros commenting on how to achieve "depth of field" in a recording. You know how a really good recording you can almost visualize who is in front and who is back a little.

Lots of really good stuff, but here's a couple possibly "non-obvious" things I picked out to mess with.

1. Delay is used as much or more than reverb
2. EQ can do a lot. In a natural environment, high end cuts out with distance. Simpy EQing things differently can give depth.

Cloneboy Studio said:
Find a few key elements to hit it with.

The OH's give the illusion that all the mics have 'verb, but the direct mics stay tight, and vocals just need reverb to sound right.

Depends on the song.

Now thats a nice idea,
thanks for the tip.
Bob

Good post....about a million different answers.

Reverb can do wonders for your song, yet it can completely sour it.

"The Art of Reverb" is just that, an art. The best experimenting is the one you do yourself. Listen to your favorite mixes and see how much reverb is used and when.

Try combinations....reverb with chorus. Or maybe reverb before chorus. Or if you're sick and demented, try reverb, chorus, delay all in one. You just have to keep on asking yourself questions and testing your hypothesis.

You learn that reverb dosn't have to be the same throughout the entire song. Hence the reason automating reverb plug-ins has become so valuble.

Experiment a bit, tell us your findings. ;)

KevinDrummer said:
1. Delay is used as much or more than reverb

Set the reverb so that you hear early reflections and not as much of the reverb tail.

KevinDrummer said:
2. EQ can do a lot. In a natural environment, high end cuts out with distance. Simpy EQing things differently can give depth.

I personally mess with the EQ curve on the reverb to achieve the same effect.

Of course, I don't put reverb on everything. Usually just a bit on snare, some on vocals and the drum overheads. I like a tight, focused sound that has some depth and space, but mostly is in your face.

mcmd said:

I would like to know what you would suggest for different reverb effect(s) on a typical mix example:

Main vocal ( slight/little reverb - want it up front?)
Backing vocal ( little/moderate reverb - want it back in mix?)
Drums ( slight/little reverb - want to keep it tight?)
Bass ( slight/little reverb - want to keep it tight?)
Rhythm guitar cords ( slight/little/moderate - help?)
Rhythm guitar fills ( slight/little/moderate - help?)
Lead/gain guitar ( help? - want it up front?)

/mcmd

In my opinion, like others say, don't use reverb too much. My experience is, that it works well on a snares and vocals. However not recommended, sometimes it works on a bass guitar too (I think it depends on the tempo of the song: in a 120bpm song it works for me). Reverb on guitars? Only when a solo is being played.

Back