Approaches to mixing an album?

Xaaron1377

I have a few projects coming up that 'll be mixing and I was wondering what kind of approach other people like to take towards the whole thing.
For example; what tracks do you mix first, when do you start panning out different tracks, when do you add EG, compression, etc.
Typically, depending on the mix, I start by adjusting the volumes, then panning, then adding EQ and compression, then adding things like reverb, and so on.
Just curious to see what other people generally do.

I don't mix much anymore -- But I can tell you that panning is about the last thing, IME.

Toss everything up, make them fit well together in mono (if they don't "play nice" in mono, they won't play well in stereo - But you won't realize it when everything is panned out). EQ and rough volume, then volume automation, then flavor.

When I'm doing an album, I'll usually try to make individual instruments be as similar as possible across the tracks.
(So the drums will have identical EQ, panning, levels, and other FX minus some automation to taste.)

I have a bad habit of mixing as we track, usually because I have a fair idea of where I'm going.

Now, it'd be nice to be able to trust that foresight, but once in a while I'm presented with a fully recorded project which I then mix from there.
Those mixes ALWAYS come out better.

I'd recommend doing nothing until you have everything tracked and recorded.
Then do a volume mix. IE. play with the faders and the faders only. Get everything roughly in place that way keeping the master level in mind.

Next it's up to you. I usually deal with any volume automation that needs to be done.

If everything blends all nice you could pan now; If it's a little messy you might want to eq in mono before you pan.
Different strokes I guess.

I've heard a lot of people talking about blitz mixing. Usually after the volumes are done they just spend 10 minutes going nuts on instinct, and then STOP.
The point is that the longer you spend at something the more you get used to the sound and the less useful you are to the session.
I do try to apply that sometimes.

I've made plenty of late night adjustments to mixes though, and completely undone them in the morning. :facepalm:

My process

before you start, remember that your song will sound like the instruments you are playing. a fender solid state sucks for death metal, and you will NOT be able to shape it to a death guitar track. make your song sound as good as it can IN your recording space, with YOUR instruments. Thats how bands achieve having "their own sound."

also, an instrument WILL sound different in a mix and on its own. Its not an illusion. It has to do with acoustical physics.

1) sound check. record bits of what you are about to track. move the mic, work with amp EQ, etc. It has to sound as good as possible going into the mix, just to save yourself hassle later. Make sure your GAIN STAGING is solid. Whatever method you use really. I like leaving lots of headroom on everything.
2) take that demo track and eq it a little. see what you can do with it. if you need a lot of editing, consider changing the mic, position, or instrument.
3) if it eq's easily and nicely, save your EQ setting, and delete your EQ plug in (it will cause lag when you track)
4) track the instrument.

rinse and repeat for every track. don't add anything when you're tracking, but have your EQ's saved.

1) balance the levels of everything, in mono. make sure everything "fits" pretty well. It won't always be perfect but it should at least sound like a song.
2) I actually pan here. See where everything fits, and how far your overhead mics should be panned, rhythm guitars, percussion, etc. Panning is easy to change and is heavily preference based so don't sweat it. Also, don't wide pan unless you have to... i've found mostly centered mixes with stereo accents sound the most powerful.
3) get your EQ going again. remember that your previous EQ setting may not work anymore with all the other instruments... however, if you TRACKED really well it should be okay, and you'll just need minor adjustments.
4) go to your volume automation and start lowering peaks manually. If you're really good with compressors and wanna do some math, this can be achieved with a plug in. Otherwise, DO MANUAL. Just level out the big peaks.
5) add light compression. SMOOTH, dont SQUASH. careful dynamics processing is how you get a loud bouncing mix. If everything has dynamics, AND is loud, you have a sick mix. Thats why dubstep is so powerful. There is constant CHANGE in the mix. Understand?
6) tamper with the compressor gain and track faders and re-balance. See whats to be done.
7) add limiters to anything that NEEDS IT. anything with distortion wont need it.

after this its up to you what effects you will add. if you are gonna squash parts of your track, you do it here. I would save your song here, and then in a new version, tamper and fudge with stuff to experiment.

Last, edit your master track. if you have a mastering engineer, i wouldn't do much other than TINY EQ and transparent compression. If you're a DIY master, do your eq, compression, multiband compression, and limiting.

Back