Anyone using JBL LSR308 Monitors ?

Gtoboy

JBL just updated their monitor line up for 2018 so I picked up a pair of last years model LSR308's for 100 off for the pair. I have Tannoy Reveals for nearfields, which are really low mid heavy but I'm used to them. I noticed right away the imaging on these JBL's is far superior. I've been using a sub with the nearfields and I also check mixes on some Klipsch Forte II's driven by a QSC that are out in the tracking space for LOUD checks. Anyway, I'm wondering if I should be using the sub with these all the time as I did with the Tannoys. I have seen on the JBL site that they are often using these with a sub , just thought I'd see if somebody else had info, thanks

What kind of music are you mixing/listening to? I think the 308s have a low end of around 38Hz, which should be good for most everything except dance stuff. I've got 305s.

Right now im mostly mixing pop and rock type stuff but ive been trying to teach myself EDM style stuff like Sleigh Bells' mash up of EDM and loud guitars. There is probably some hip name for this style but I am not up on the EDM nomenclature or whatever it's genre is:rolleyes:

Kewl. good to know. I still have the Tannoy w/sub set up so if I need to check it I can

I'm wondering if I should be using the sub with these all the time

Depends on if you need it. So the question is how do I know if I need it? The answer to that is if you a) trust your low end image. and b) if a sub is capable of addressing the issues we'll suppose you have.

Spend some time thinking about those and you'll have a pretty good idea of weather you need it or not.

How big is your mix room? Treatment installed?
A sub with the 8s could be counterproductive and make things worse. But maybe not.

But since you already have a sub, it can't hurt to try it with the JBLs. It's not like you have to go out and buy one, then realize you made a mistake.

:D

The JBL's are real nice. I think your hearing has been distorted by the Tannoys.

A friend also has these Tannoys in his studio. I like 'em, to listen to. But not as monitors. They're not very analytic and a bit boomy. Good for rock, not for classical music.

Re-educate your hearing. Bass tends to hide detail in the mids. The added harmonics will put a veil over it. Sounds good, doesn't work well.

Back