Anybody heard of Studio Monitor headphones?

JLLFAN

Has anybody heard of Sony Studio Monitor Headphones? I was in Best BUy the other day and came across a pair for $30. They had a bigger pair (with a slightly greater frequency range) for $100.

Since I'm new to the whole recording thing and still living in my parents' basement (in my defense, I do have a good-paying full-time job and just graduated college), I don't want to invest in monitor speakers just yet. Anybody know if these headphones might be even a half-way decent substitute for monitor speakers, or at least an improvement over standard stereo speakers?

Thanks for your thoughts.

i have been using sony 7506. they have a low inpedence and are hot on the signal. they are very clean without the boom in most cheaper pairs. trust me on this they a very
good especially because the are flat and require very little signal to get good volume. i purchased them from full compass
for about 100.00 they sell for 175.00?
ask for rep. barb larger at full compass.

I agree on the Sony MDR7056 headphones. I've gone through many pairs of headphones over the last few years and the 7506's are by far the best pair I've bought. What I really like about them is when I mix down to CD and play it on my regular home stereo system, the tones are very representative of what I hear through the headphones while mixing. Most other pair are either too bassy or tinny compared to what I hear from a standard stereo.

Michael S.

Sony MDR 7506. $89 at Guitar Satan. They sound great. I got a chance to check out some $1000 headphones at a local studio and I sure was unimpressed. SO much so that I don't even remember the brand.

For the engineer's REFERENCE headphones, the Sony MDR7056s are the way to go; I own a pair of them. But if you're looking for monitor headphones for the musicians, the standard are the AKG K240s because of their closed-cup design for least amount of bleed, and they're comfortable; I own for pairs of those.

I have a pair of Sony MDR-V600 that I have been using for several years now. They are pretty good headphones. I recently bought a pair of AKG K240DF. They do not have the same signal level, but I think tones sound more true.

Back