Any Full Sail Graduates

RD423

I don't know if this is the right forum but it has something to do with mixing so here goes. If we have any full sail graduates out here on the board. When you graduated did it make it easy for you to get a job as a engineer in a pro studio. The reason why I am asking is because I was considering going so I can learn more about the eq's and things like that. But I already have a job in a pro studio and we are already working with some major artists so should I go to school to be certified or just keep working in the studio? I basically want to know the pros and cons of Full Sail and if I should go or keep workin in the studio now. Oh and let me just say this everything I know about engineering I taught myself no one taught me anything except when I first was starting this board helped.

Pros:

You're going to be knee deep in "eq's and things" as well as 3500% times more than that. You come out knowing the correct way of doing most things.

Cons:

The schedule dosn't agree with everyone, so alot of people become disillusioned really fast.

In terms of jobs, I'll be frank with you:

What it comes down to is the attitude and the ability. They sugar coat things alot at fullsail. It's a good school, but that's when you realize you've survived in the industry.

The real trick is to have fun doing what you come there for. It's good knowledge but only if you really want it.

i didnt go to full sail, but i had a friend who did. i would say if you already have a job at a good studio stay there for the time being. if after a year or two learning from the "masters" you dont feel like you know as much as you should you might consider it. but, on the other hand, if after that time working in a studio you dont get it, full sail might be too much. i know its intense as hell and they arent very forgiving. thats just my two cents. i was thinking about going, and they are more than willing to send you a lot of literature if you ask for it. good luck.

I didn't go to Full Sail but.....I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night :D

I have spent quite a bit of time there{not as a student or instructor} in the late 80's and early 90's and its OK..But I know the folks that go there have to work their butts off!!If you already have a gig...I'd stay with that for now and learn ..then go there if you end up wanting more book learnin'..There are alot of guys that went there and are now doing something else now..There is no substitue for real world ed. Good luck

Sorry to chime in as another non full sail student (but i know plenty of them) Stay in your current gig!!!!!! getting certified will not mean a thing to anyone but your parents. If you already have a gig at a studio with some serious clients it most likely means that you have some pretty happening producers and enginers walking through the door. steal every trick you can from them durring the day and when you go home at night and on lunch break read every recording book you can get your hands on. when you are done read them again!

I have no crystal ball but I would almost garuntee that if you stay at your gig and study like a madman that you will learn more and be further along professionally than if you spent that time at any recording school in the world (including the workshops that I run).

The thing is there is no other engineer's at the studio because at first the only engineer was the owner of the studio and I've known him for years and I ended helping him out on 1 session so he could do some paper work and after that he was like you need to come work for me. I was like aight and some of the stuff that we are doing for you rap fans Mr. Lucci's new album coming soon. One of the producer's is making a couple of beats for triple six and we are also writing a song for J Lo along with we have ppl coming in from all over the U.S. to record. And yall know what made my day the first session I did up there was for Mr. Lucci and when he told me that he liked working with me and that I was a better engineer than some of the ppl that's been doing it for 10 yrs. or more. But I have been doing it for about 6 yrs. but took a while because I had my setup at home but thanks for the advice I guess I will keep my current job because I guess there is nothing better than on the job training because the owner is teaching me more about the eq's and things like that but I didn't know if being certified would help or not but I guess as long as I get credit for what I do as long as I put in enough time at this studio it wouldn't be that hard to go somewhere else because I also engineer at another studio as well but maybe 1 or 2 times a month depending on that owners needs so I guess my foot is in the door and I shouldn't worry about being certified thanks everyone yall have answered questions for me since the beginning and hopefully to the end.

"But I have been doing it for about 6 yrs. but took a while because I had my setup at home but thanks for the advice I guess I will keep my current job because I guess there is nothing better than on the job training because the owner is teaching me more about the eq's and things like that but I didn't know if being certified would help or not but I guess as long as I get credit for what I do as long as I put in enough time at this studio it wouldn't be that hard to go somewhere else because I also engineer at another studio as well but maybe 1 or 2 times a month depending on that owners needs so I guess my foot is in the door and I shouldn't worry about being certified thanks everyone yall have answered questions for me since the beginning and hopefully to the end."

Longest. Sentence. Ever.

hehe,
sorry man I have no help for you there, personally I would love to be able to work at recording for a day job. However in the city I live, it would be next to impossible.

SittinIdol said:
"But I have been doing it for about 6 yrs. but took a while because I had my setup at home but thanks for the advice I guess I will keep my current job because I guess there is nothing better than on the job training because the owner is teaching me more about the eq's and things like that but I didn't know if being certified would help or not but I guess as long as I get credit for what I do as long as I put in enough time at this studio it wouldn't be that hard to go somewhere else because I also engineer at another studio as well but maybe 1 or 2 times a month depending on that owners needs so I guess my foot is in the door and I shouldn't worry about being certified thanks everyone yall have answered questions for me since the beginning and hopefully to the end."

Longest. Sentence. Ever.

hehe,
sorry man I have no help for you there, personally I would love to be able to work at recording for a day job. However in the city I live, it would be next to impossible.

LOL... I was thinking the exact same thing.. like listening to a kid with A.D.D. on crack talking.. :p

-Krag

I don't really use periods when typin on boards. Unless I'm typin an important document or something like that. But in the city I live it's not a big market we don't even normally have sessions until after about 5 or 6 pm so I work a 7-4 job

Don't take me seriously - write any way you please - I just got a laugh out of that :)
Best of luck whatever you decide (and if it were me - I'd keep the gig. There is no substitute for experience)

-Krag

Nope I didn't take it serious. But after listening to everyone here I think I will be better off keepin it. And lettin the owner teach me what I don't know.

RD423 said:
Nope I didn't take it serious. But after listening to everyone here I think I will be better off keepin it. And lettin the owner teach me what I don't know.

Good for you! You just saved some cash and got a leg up...without makeing a move..Life is so rarely that easy..Good luck :)

Back