Any considerations for adding a sub-woofer?

guitz

I just got a new pair of KRK monitors with a 5" woofer. They are making me miss extended low end of the Yamaha HS-8's that I elected not to rebuy due to the $$ difference...I like everything about these KRK's except the less low end. I'm in about a 20' by 15' or so small room...KRK makes sub-woofers, what size would work best with the monitors? Interestingly, there isn't a cutoff frequency knob on the back of these, so I guess they will have to get full range....also, assuming the sub has a cutoff frequency knob, where should that be? These are KRK Rokit 5's (in a super snazzy chrome finish)

Attachments

• KRK.jpg.jpg
    KRK.jpg.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 21
You should check with KRK on which sub works best with those and your room size...but yeah, a sub would extend the lows for you that the small 5" speakers are not able to do.

Usually the crossover network and patching happens at the sub...so your monitors would simply receive whatever the sub sends, and that might be adjustable per sub model...or it might be a set crossover point.
All good questions for KRK or the dealer you got them from...unless someone here has the same model w/sub, and they can give you more detailed info.

That's a nice looking monitor.
Good luck! :)

Back