Annoying Monitor "Pop" When Starting/Stopping Playback in REAPER

shutout24

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a pair of PreSonus Eris 5 monitors today and when playing back a mix in REAPER I get a "pop" coming out of them. I don't think it's a latency issue any audio setting. Does anyone know why speakers can pop when starting or stopping playback in a DAW? Listening to music on my PC still pops but not nearly as bad so it's possible it's an EM shielding issue (though I don't see how, or how I'd fix it). Anyone had this problem before and know of a solution?

Thanks a lot,

Myles

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a pair of PreSonus Eris 5 monitors today and when playing back a mix in REAPER I get a "pop" coming out of them. I don't think it's a latency issue any audio setting. Does anyone know why speakers can pop when starting or stopping playback in a DAW? Listening to music on my PC still pops but not nearly as bad so it's possible it's an EM shielding issue (though I don't see how, or how I'd fix it). Anyone had this problem before and know of a solution?

Thanks a lot,

Myles

sounds like a DAC issue. what interface you're running?

Thanks for the response! I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface. I have not had any other problems with it other than the pops so I can't really see how it would be a bad ground line or something like that.

you might have to get a better interface. I think the one you have doesn't mute when changing/initializing sample rates.

Still hunting for information here. High-end system, low-cost AI and DAW. You say you get pops when playing any music, or so I read it. Do you mean when you start playing the music or just at random? Have you tried a better AI just to make the elimination? I have heard some strange stuff coming out of the budget products

Yep the pops occur when starting and stopping playback. If it's a matter of not a good enough AI I won't worry about it as long as it's not damaging the speakers. Could it be excess static charge that is collecting or discharging when playback starts or stops? It seems pretty strange as I would think monitors like that would be properly grounded though. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Can you try with other pair of speakers to see if they also pop?

I have had similar issues with one VST plugin. Does this happen when you make a new project and press play/stop?

It sounds like one of two issues.
1)Bad clock setting in the software or hardware, that the digital signal isn't properly clocked.
Check all clock settings.
2) Possibly you are recording audio with a DC offset.
Try a new session. Record one track just room tone or talking. Play back your one track, Is there a pop?
If so do you have a dc offset removal plug in? If that is the problem it could be an interface issue or a problem ( doubtful) with your preamp.
But without doubt, clocking or DC offset are a major causes of pops in digital audio.
Good Luck
Brad

Last edited:
Back