Alesis Studio 24--how are the preamps?

Whoopysnorp

I can get a used Alesis Studio 24 console for $150, and I think it would be a good step up from my Yamaha MX12/4 just for the better connectivity (i.e. direct outs on every channel) alone. My only concern is how good the preamps are. Has anybody ever used one of these?

The yamaha actually probably has a slightly nicer preamp in it. However, we are talking pretty small differences that are also based on my opinion. If however the ALesis does increase your workflow, that in itself may translate to a better end product regardless of the small differences. Have you considered just adding the Alesis and also keeping the yamaha? Options are always cool:)

I think I'll just buy the Alesis, and if I don't like it, I'll have no problem reselling it at that price. I doubt I'd keep the Yamaha if I liked the Alesis though--I'd have no real need for it.

I have an Alesis Studio 24. It is a very versatile mixer with reasonable preamps. If you click on my link below you will find a song call "I Do" that was recorded with that board. Mixdown was using headphones :eek: so the mix is not the best. ;)

Just FYI the signal chain:

Vocals/Guitar/Cakewalk Drums
Vocals -> Rode NTK -> TC Electronic Triple C Comp (Light Male) -> Alesis Studio 24
Kramer Guitar -> Roland GP8 -> Marshall 4100 Record Out -> Alesis Studio 24
Drums -> Cassette Tape playback -> Alesis 24
Live Effects (all) -> Lexicon PCM80 (Hall 2) -> Alesis 24 (sep. Channel)
Overdubs -> Lead Guitar / Vocals Doubled
ADAT LX20 record/playback mixdown from Studio 24 ->USB converter->computer

Hope it's of some help.....

Whoopysnorp said:
I can get a used Alesis Studio 24 console for $150, and I think it would be a good step up from my Yamaha MX12/4 just for the better connectivity (i.e. direct outs on every channel) alone. My only concern is how good the preamps are. Has anybody ever used one of these?
Having heard the Yamaha small-format mixer pres, I'd say the pres on the Yamaha are somewhat better -- the pres on the Alesis are mediocre at best...

I've got one and couple of the pots are getting noisy but like most budget mixers they use a big PCB and the thing is difficult to take apart for any cleaning. It's been a good little board though. The pre's are Ok, nothing great but then what is when your looking at budget mixers. I don't use the pre's on it too much at all anymore but the direct outs/in's really make it a versatile little board.

Here's the review of the 32 which is the 24's brother.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul98/articles/alesis32.html

alesis, although a lot better than berhinger in my opinion, is still not the highest of quality. Built in preamps are never going to be that great, but if you're on a budget, they should be good. If you want one that sounds way better, know you will have to spend at least 300 or 400 to get a decent one.

I went ahead and got it. It looks pretty cool but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet. I'll do some testing with that and the Yamaha and see how it measures up. I hope it sounds at least roughly as good because I like the flexibility and in/out options on the Alesis a lot better

Whoopysnorp said:
I went ahead and got it. It looks pretty cool but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet. I'll do some testing with that and the Yamaha and see how it measures up. I hope it sounds at least roughly as good because I like the flexibility and in/out options on the Alesis a lot better

So did you get it up and running?

Blue Bear Sound said:
Having heard the Yamaha small-format mixer pres, I'd say the pres on the Yamaha are somewhat better -- the pres on the Alesis are mediocre at best...
is that saying the same for the alesis studio 32?

i use an alesis studio 24.. and its options for routing are great... pres are ok.. im in the process of upgrading now, but at your price of $19 bucks a channel, they are definately worth it

I am running a studio 32 into a motu 828 mkII then into sonar4. The pres on the studio are so so. But where you will be very happy is in the routing options that the studio allows. Well worth it. Go to WWW.DAVESPLANETLIVE.COM AND CHECK OUT THE CLIPS. These are squashed versions of the originals for web purposes but they will give you some sort of idea.

temporary setback

just so happens somethin just went wrong with my 32, and for the time being, im forced to resort to a model im not familiar with, in the least. Its a peavey unity series 300, very small, and the main reson im usin it right now is to just be able to hear. Does any one have any idea how the preamps are on that? and if I have, can i do any decent vocal recording through it? 1 last; How about the pres in the alesis multimix 16firewire? Are they any good?

I know this is an old thread but this might be of some help to someone. I love this little mixer, yes it is very versatile and the EQ is really sweet sounding. I recorded a congolese band, all acoustic going into the Alesis preamps and to seven tracks of ADAT (yes ADAT at 16 bit 48khz) the mics were Audio technica pro 37's, Rode M3, Sennheiser MD441 and 421s with AT4033 and 2020 on vocals. Despite youtube loudness normalising etc. here is the link.
ZONG ZING sing 'Mutuashi' Mboka Liya - YouTube

Back