Adam A8x or Acoustic Energy AE22's?

dickiefunk

Hi,

I'm looking for a new set of monitors and have whittled my choice down to either the Adam A8x or Acoustic Energy AE22's.
I will be mixing quite a wide range of music styles from acapella choral, jazz, rock, soul and gospel.
My room is 3.5m x 3.2m.

I have heard the AE22's here before and they worked well but I noticed that on really busy arrangements they sounded a little compressed due to the bright nature of these monitors. On the plus side they worked really well in my room due to the closed box design. I would also consider adding a sub at a later date to open up the depth of sound.

I haven't heard the Adam A8x's but have heard loads of great things about them and comparisons are made to the Focal CMS65's that I tried. They have an 8.75" woofer but the cabinet is only a little bigger than the CMS65's.

One of my questions is would the A8x's be too much for my room?
I wont be driving them particularly loud but like to have a lot of depth to the sound.

Has anyone on here heard both the AE22's and A8x's?

Also, I spoke to a guy from Adam earlier and he mentioned that they will be releasing some foam plugs for the ports to eliminate port noise with low frequencies at high levels. Would this make them similar to the AE22's but with greater low frequency extension?

I read a recent review of the Adam A8x's and the reviewer said that the A8x's would be more suitable for midfield monitoring instead of nearfield?

Also, I've noticed that there has been quite a few niggles with these monitors which has put me off them!

Looks like I'll be getting the AE22's!

Back