acoustic foam

vegas

Hello
I want to order 2" acoustic foam for my bedroom studio 10'x12' and i would like to find out the best location for it .Do you guys have any good tips for placement without using expensive meters?
Regards

Jon

In a 10x12 I'm thinking your going to need bass trapping - Probably lots of it. 2" isn't going to do you much good except for letting you know how crazy the low end is.

Two places to look - www.realtraps.com and (somewhat more budget friendly) www.modularacoustics.com - ALSO, check out the DYI wall units at www.johnlsayers.com

A few sheets of 2" to tame some nasty flutters might be in order - You should be able to hear where you need it. But it certainly isn't going to do anything to handle the low end problems that will occur in a room that size.

There is a company that sells off of E-bay. They manufacture acoustic foam. I've bought from them before. Very reasonable prices. Do a search on Ebay for acoustic foam and you should be able to find them.

acoustic foam

thanks for all replies guys
just keep in mind this is only hobby studio and i want to improve my mixes.
i know that i never be able to master like a pro i my bedroom but i was wonderig what i could to just to make it better. Acoustic foam is pretty affordable and if can use it that would be awesome.
What about foam bass absorbers? can i use them?

I came across this tip for acoustic foam:

When treating the front and side walls, try using a mirror to ascertain where reflections are coming from. Simply have a friend move a mirror around the walls and ceiling while you are sitting at the mix position. Anywhere you can see your studio monitors in the reflection is a likely surface to treat with an Studio foam panel
what do you think?
and i the future i would like to ad active sub to my Behringer Thruth's good idea?

thanks for reading and all your help

my studio jpg. files should be attached

Attachments

• studio.JPG
    studio.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 115
Desk should be on the short wall with speakers pointing down length of room.

Find yourself some rigid fiberglas instead. You'll thank yourself later. Foam is more expensive and less effective than fiberglas. Why would you insist on foam?

The sub in an untreated or improperly treated room could cause you more problems. You need tons of bass trapping.

'"Desk should be on the short wall with speakers pointing down length of room"
someone told me that before
why is that?

Vegas,

> why is that? <

Because that puts you farther away from the wall behind you. As you get closer to the rear wall the inevitable peaks and nulls are worse, and start at a higher frequency.

--Ethan

It sounds like fiberglass is a good alternative. Can someone explain this a little more? Like application, thickness, availability, etc?

vegas said:
thanks for all replies guys
just keep in mind this is only hobby studio and i want to improve my mixes.
i know that i never be able to master like a pro i my bedroom but i was wonderig what i could to just to make it better. Acoustic foam is pretty affordable and if can use it that would be awesome.
What about foam bass absorbers? can i use them?

I came across this tip for acoustic foam:

When treating the front and side walls, try using a mirror to ascertain where reflections are coming from. Simply have a friend move a mirror around the walls and ceiling while you are sitting at the mix position. Anywhere you can see your studio monitors in the reflection is a likely surface to treat with an Studio foam panel
what do you think?
and i the future i would like to ad active sub to my Behringer Thruth's good idea?

thanks for reading and all your help

my studio jpg. files should be attached

The info you got going on is good reference and it's a start. Just watch out for corners and hot spots in the room where sounds will collect and create standing waves. The parallel walls will work against you, so watch out for that, too.

About the sub, that's very risky in a room like that. You'll risk having your mixes sound lacking on low end from over compensating for the abundance of low end in the room. I'd probably hold off on the sub.

Any info on the walls?

Back